Vortex Razor 11-33 Spotter: Solo hunter perfection or lightweight compromise?

topher89

WKR
I am considering the Razor 11-33 for my first spotter. I do a lot of rifle hunting by myself so weight is a factor. I haven't been hunting long and am happy with a decent, mature deer or antelope. I would put elk on that list but they are my achilles heel and I only have one cow in my short career. This year, I am pushing myself to get to my glassing spots earlier, glass more and try to elevate my hunting game.

The Razor 11-33 appeals to me with its compact size and lighter weight (and lower price). I don't need to glass incredible distances to count individual antler points. Just pick timber patches apart to spot deer and elk and see antelope out on the prairie.

Does this spotter fit the bill or will I want something bigger and better?

87TT

WKR
I love my razor. Weight is great and it won't break the bank. That said it's the only one I've used. It lives in my truck during the off season.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Buy a Hawke 50mm spotter if you wanna save money. Or an Athlon. All of those come out of the same factories and you can get a Hawke or Athlon for half that Razor price, and a 1/5 of what the Kowa costs. The Kowa is incredible, but try a spotter out without killing your budget before you spend a lot on one and figure out you don't like/need it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Devildogg

FNG
I just ordered a Athlon Cronus 11-36x50 from cameraland for $500 it was a display model. I wanted a straight eyepiece but settled on the angled not sure if I’m going to like it or not. They are pretty light and supposed to amazing glass.

People buy the little Razor, hate it, and sell them on here quickly. There's a pretty constant stream of them. Hard to get enough light, resolution, etc. etc. to glass well. Hardly more useable magnification than binos. Compare that to the Athlon Ares 65 or smaller Kowas that people rave about.

ChrisAU

WKR
I’d also consider the smallest Kowa, the 501/502. I’ve been impressed with mine so far, it’s under 16 oz with an arca plate attached. Not something you want to spend a ton of time behind but nice for taking a closer look at something you spotted in your binos.

Second this. At $300 for the straight model from Cameraland NY its hard to beat, and unbeatable in the weight category. My binos weigh more.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I used the razor for 5 years and last year got the Kowa 554 straight. This is the one product in its class that you won’t be able to beat, the vortex glass is pretty worthless at max power in anything but full daylight. It has its place for budget guys but your not judging a mule deer at 800 plus yards. The kowa glass is crystal clear at all hours. I don’t get why swaro or zeiss doesn’t have an option to compete with the kowa in that weight class.

I’m one of those that sold the little Razor after one season. I’m trying the 60mm Hawke ED this year. I don’t use a spotter much so the Kowa is hard for me to justify. If the Hawke doesn’t do it for me I’ll go ahead and just get the Kowa though.