Vortex razor gen 1 vs gen 2 difference

Anyone know difference between gen 1 and gen 2 Vortex razor spotting scopes? Looking to get one but curious about difference.
The focus wheel is a huge deal for me. I compared a gen 2 Viper to a gen 1 razor, and the razor beats it in the areas of optical clarity, light transmission, and chromatic aberration. In addition - the gen 1 focus adjustment is just infinitely easier to use, especially if you don't have a rock steady tripod. I hate adjusting the gen 2 focus wheel.

fmyth

WKR
I personally have never looked through a gen II but I own a gen I 65mm.

The biggest difference is the focus mechanism. Gen I has fine/coarse two dial on top of the barrel and the Gen II has the single focus wheel integrated on the barrel (more common these days).

I personally prefer the dual focus because I think it’s easier to focus without shaking the scope but others will say it’s all the same.

There were some posts when the Gen II first came out that the glass was better. In my research I have seen as many saying it is the same or real close to the same.

If you can get a better deal on a Gen I I wouldn’t pass it up.
I have both Gen 1 and 2 Razors in 65mm and I agree with you. I am thinking of selling the Gen 2 because I prefer the Gen 1 focus control and can't tell a difference in the glass quality for my use.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I have both Gen 1 and 2 Razors in 65mm and I agree with you. I am thinking of selling the Gen 2 because I prefer the Gen 1 focus control and can't tell a difference in the glass quality for my use.
Still selling my LER wide angle lens……just in case anyone wants it.

I moved to a swaro eyepiece for it.

SteveM80

FNG
I know this is a older thread, but I would like to let everyone know that I have talked to two different reps from vortex and both have said that there opinion is, the glass and focuse wheels are definitely better in the gen 1. The only positive in the gen two is it weighs a fraction less and is a little more durable and they both would choose the gen 1 over the gen 2.

Fatcamp

WKR
Gen 1 durablity:
20230527_170945.jpg

Wind blew it off the hill I was set up on yesterday. No damage I could see. Used it all day today, no problems.

For anyone interested the Burris 30x WA eyepiece fits the Gen 1 65mm, but I think it only makes 22x, 30x in the 85mm.

jimh406

WKR
I guess someone can assume there is no difference when a company makes an improvement. I don’t quite understand that “logic to think that.

I prefer the Gen 2 focus vs Gen 1 type. However, I own angled models, so maybe that makes a difference.

The 85 is a lot heavier than the 65. I have both. The 85 is a bit better at low light, but it should be. I like both.

Finally, there was at least one video on youtube that showed digiscoped pictures for both the Gen 2 and Gen 1. There might be more now. I’ve had mine for a while.