waders

peterk123

WKR
Would like some opinions/help with new waders. Historically, I have never spent a lot of money on waders. My latest pair is made by compass, and cost around 120 bucks. They work fine, no leaks after two seasons, but do not see heavy use. Given the upcoming move to Montana, I suspect I will spend many hours in the rivers when not hunting. I am looking hard at the Simms line. One of the best wader companies out there, and most importantly they are a US company based in Montana. That means a lot to me. I am trying to figure out if it is worth spending the money on the G3s or save some some serious coin and go with the Freestone. Major difference is one is goretex the other other is toray. Is the goretex that much better and will it last several more years than the freestone that is made with toray? We are talking $550 vs $300. And then I am still dealing with needing a decent pair of boots. My current boots suck. Multiply this problem by two because my wife will need them as well.

Thanks

Pete

mwebs

WKR
I recently replaced my two wadder set up, with G3s and I’m never going back. I had cheaper neoprene for hunting and cheaper fly fishing waders. I think I actually had a thread on here if you search. Bought the G3s in the supposed trout camo, but it’s great for things that actually require camo like ducks. They are awesome waders. Buy the g3s, I found a deal on them online.

I was in this dilemma last year. Had breathables for fishing and early season hunting and neos for late season.

My gripe with the breathables and wading boots is the pressure that the water would put on my feet while standing in cold water.

I also had to have a zipper. It's a luxury item but we'll worth it when it comes time to pee and you're all layered up.

Simms didn't build a boot foot, zipper front G3 at the time. So it led me to Rogers and Sitka waders. Huge difference in price, but after reading many reviews I went with the sitkas. I am extremely happy with them. I used them all last year hunting and fishing a few times this winter and spring. Warm when you layer properly. The boot fits like a good comfortable knee high boot does, not like a sloppy rubber wader boot. They seem to be pretty durable. It was a tough pill to swallow at ~$1000, but I don't regret it one bit.

Mt Al

WKR
For the price difference, the G3s are SO worth it. It's not only the fabric, it's the patterning, fit, finish, etc.. That's if you choose to go with Simms and want US made waders.

Plenty of other awesome waders out there, Frog Toggs are a bargain and get high praise. Patagonia, Orvis, and plenty others are great waders. Just try some one and go with what you like unless you want to support made in USA, then buy Simms goretex.

If you can’t spring for the sitka’s and can live without a zipper i say freestones! Freestones with Korker’s boots will last you for at least a couple years moderate-heavy use.

Even with the repair plan Sitka has I’d think a set of backup waders is essential unless you don’t mind being off the water for weeks/months when they spring a leak. Spend your money on a quality wading boot and save some money on the freestones.

JoshOR

Lil-Rokslider
G3’s are worth it. Check it out but not all the waders are made in USA. Cheaper models are made elsewhere and I’m not sure where the cutoff is... They stand behind their product. Ripped a gash in a leg, sent them in, got a new pair.

Bear_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Simms all the way. But regarding the made in USA, my G4 waders are made in the US. I have a Simms rain jacket (don't know the model) made in China, and a couple pairs of their boots made in China and Vietnam.

I'm not all that impressed with their boots as most models shred the gravel cuff on the waders and eat laces.

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a new pair of G3’s. Can’t speak to durability yet but they are very comfortable waders.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
Reddington makes a good wader at a great price also. I currently have the freestone Simms with the zipper and I won’t go back to non zip. So far so good, 2 seasons. Korkers boots with the boa system are much better than Simms imho

JoshOR

Lil-Rokslider
No troubles with Simms boots for me. G3’s currently, 2 pairs of freestones and G4’s in the past. Wore the soles out before anything else failed in the freestones. G4’s eyelets broke before the sole wore out, G3’s still going... No gravelguard issues for me.

I got so tired of trying to find boots that fit my wide-assed hobbit feet. Plus now I have bunions on top of that. I just had some felt fitted to the bottom of my older pair of keen hiking boots. Iknow felt can spread organisms so if I switch rivers I’ll soak em in a chloroform solution for a few hours first.

Simms are sweet waders. I have pair I used heavily for years both hunting/fishing.
They have since been leaking so much I recently tried to warranty them -- Simms denied the warranty claim after I sent them in.

I'm not too upset as I got a lot of use out of these waders but just know their warranty is not absolute lifetime repairs. With that in mind I'm not sure I'd pay 500 bucks again for a pair of waders and am having to reassess my options

Wapiti1

WKR
Simms are great. I went with Dryft with my last wader purchase and have been very happy with them. Very stout waders.

Jeremy

Simms G3. And if you have a problem with them your only 1/2 hour drive away from the repair shop in Bozeman once you move to Livingston.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
My Simms G3s are probably one of the better investments I ever made.

I'm harder on waders than most because I wear them at work. I've spent a lot of time doing biological research and animal damage control work, which is usually just a lot of tripping over rebar and rocks in places no one would ever wade unless they were getting paid to be there.

I don't get rid of waders until they are more patches than not. I went through four pairs of cheaper waders between 2014 and 2015, then bought one pair of Simms and they've lasted ever since.

A few years ago I found a pair of G3's in the middle of the Highway. They had been run over a few times but they fit me and had no leaks. They are still going strong today. Tough waders and tough break for whoever lost them. Be sure to put your name and number on the inside with a sharpie.

JakeB2010

FNG
Im born and raised in WA and have been steelhead and salmon fishing since I could walk every weekend I'm not hunting. I've been through every brand wader I can think of since they only hold up so well when it comes to miles of hiking/bush beating and simms are the only way to go. Last pair were G3s and they lasted 5 years of solid abuse, current pair are the G4Zs and I'm never looking back. The G3 line and up will have a much thicker material in the legs which will hold up extremely well over time. The usual culprit for leaks is in the neoprene feet, if you get a small rock in your boot somehow, stop what you are doing and take it out as the rubbing of the rock between your foot and boot will eventually cause a wear spot which will eventually lead to a pinhole leak and then a lot larger leak.

Long story short, once you go Simms you probably wont go back. I hear Dryft waders are nice but do not have experience with them. I've seen a lot of patagonia waders go belly up in less than a year. The ones I've seen look to be made of a really thin material but they may have a touger pair out now that I haven't seen yet. I do have a wading jacket from them though that has gone through years of abuse and its still going strong. I would put it up against a KUIU yukon jacket any day of the week.

What’s everyone’s preferred boot when using a stocking foot wader?

Last edited: