Wall Tent Rainfly/Tarp

nickstone

WKR
Question for guys that just run a tarp as a rainfly on a wall tent, do you use a stove jack in the tarp also? Or do you just cut out a void in the tarp for the stovepipe, and use something to reinforce it, and keep it from unraveling?

Yeah my jack is in the wall as well.
If your tent has it thru roof I'd just cut an oversized hole.
I wouldn't invest to much money in floor or rain fly tarps. They get holes and stuff and just replace them every few years

Thanks. The tent itself has an actual stove jack in it. I was just concerned with the tarp unraveling and ripping apart if the edge of the hole wasn't hemmed.

I'll probably just cut an oversized hole in the tarp, fold it back a few times, and silicone it to itself to keep it from unraveling and ripping if it get a good gust of wind.

If the tarp is taught it "shouldn't " get a chance to flap.
There's alot of ways I'm sure you could improve it.
I'm just not sure in use it would be worth it.

If you wanted to spend the money you can buy a legit sewn fly.
I just use the silver tarps from harbor freight there more of a ware item to me.
A good treated canvas shouldn't leak anyway.
I use a tarp so the snow slides off easier.

I would definitely go 12x14. Better too big than too small.

Lesser priced tents are not normally the same quality canvas as the more expensive ones. Lesser quality canvas tears easier, and may not be really even considered water resistant, let alone waterproof. Higher quality tents have better zippers, better cut doors that close right, etc.

I’ve done both, cut a hole and put in a jack. I put a jack in my last tarp and bought a spark arrestor, About 10 years ago. Still working just fine. Montana Canvas tents.

Although my stove comes out the wall, the tarp we use hangs over the eves far enough it contacts the stove pipe. The tarp just melts around the pipe, not on to the pipe, so no unraveling.

Back