Washington Blacktail question

ianpadron

WKR
Skip the timber lands and head up towards the Cascades (if thats more your jam) The wilderness blacktail scene in Western WA gets absolutely zero love as most of the hardcore backcountry guys are only into muleys.

I talked to a handful of guys while living there that regularly killed BTs you wouldn't believe, all of them up top in/around the alpine.

OP
tkhuntsman
Interesting I've been looking into the Cascades, and I did see a couple that weren't pay to play along the gorge. I've gotta talk to the BL and see how he feels about it. I'm certainly no stranger to pack in Backcountry hunting, and walking doesn't bother me, but I want him to enjoy himself also so I will just have to see what he's up for.

Skip the timber lands and head up towards the Cascades (if thats more your jam) The wilderness blacktail scene in Western WA gets absolutely zero love as most of the hardcore backcountry guys are only into muleys.

I talked to a handful of guys while living there that regularly killed BTs you wouldn't believe, all of them up top in/around the alpine.
Interesting. I’ve exclusively hunted black tail on the Olympic Peninsula and haven’t seen any giants. My hunting partners and I have harvested bucks consistently but certainly nothing to write home about as far as antler size and spread.

It has lead to me thinking and wondering about genetic strains because I’ve seen some very big bodied forked horns and spikes.

duckhuntr

FNG

I camp, hike, and hunt all over the Cascades and regularly have cameras out, and I have never seen a deer. Not one. I've seen a handful of rubs, and some occasional tracks, but I think they are far and few between. No doubt no one chasing them up there though, if you can find one probably have it to yourself. Good luck on your search.

duckhuntr

FNG
Anyone hunt the late season archery for the Blacktail? I'm looking at trying this in December near the coastal areas if I don't get a muley in the next few weeks.