• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I'm curious to see what most are using.
Please pick one above.

Last edited:
Sawyer of some variety inline. Which Sawyer depending on which bladder I decide to grab.

I keep a Katadyn hiker pro in the truck just in case something weird happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sawyer squeeze here as well. I like being able to have a couple of dirty bladders to use through out the day/trip if I need to.

Brendan

WKR
I picked Steripen (UV). But, I have an MSR inline Gravity Filter with 10L bags that really is a little bit of a game changer for camp where you don't mind carrying just a little extra weight, under a pound I think... (That is, if you have a reasonably clear water source to fill from)

Really hated my Sawyer. Haven't had anything that clogged as quick. I have Katadyn pump and tablets that are next in line for me.

I carry the sawyer squeeze and use it for my bladder. Also carry a steripen and use it for my nalgene. Keep a few aquamira tablets in my first aid kit for emergency use.

gelton

WKR
Katadyn befree 3L...love it. I just can't understand why someone would choose steripen I could not put down muddy water with floaties even if it were bacteria-free.

ChrisAU

WKR
Katadyn BeFree which is gravity and squeeze. So much faster than a Sawyer. Disclaimer is I'm filtering fresh snow melt a couple miles from the source, have't had to deal with really dirty water.

colersu22

WKR
I carry the sawyer squeeze and use it for my bladder. Also carry a steripen and use it for my nalgene. Keep a few aquamira tablets in my first aid kit for emergency use.

This is the same set up I use. Sawyer mini for the bladder to gravity filter, steripen adventurer for nalgene and tablets for backup or camp water.

Phaseolus

WKR
I have carried a MSR Sweetwater for years but it went TU earlier this summer. I just bought a MSR Guardian and only have one backpack trip with it so far. It’s 17 oz so is kind of heavy but we will see if the self cleaning feature is worth the extra size and weight.

CO-AJ

WKR
MSR Trailshot modified to add the Rapidpure filter on the pickup end to filter viruses. Takes an extra minute or three to fill a Nalgene, but I would rather spend the extra time crouched next to the stream as opposed to crouched over or sitting on a toilet. I use the Katadyn tablets for backup.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Iodine, Be Free, Sawyer, MSR Hyperflow , MSR Guardian depending on expected conditions ... with Iodine or BeFree as back up

I've only filtered on one trip. And it was just for part of it. But when I did I used a Sawyer.

I did hear on a podcast a guy tested some water and the only thing that worked was the steripen.

Why pick one!?!

I’ve got a katydyn gravity bag that hold 6L and is THE best I’ve used for larger base camps, hot weather, etc. It gets the nod whenever comfort is a factor.

I’ve also got a mini sawyer rigged into a gravity setup that I use for ultralight trips. Works fine but it’s slow compared to the katydyn. Saves a few ounces and some bulk.

CO-AJ

WKR
I've only filtered on one trip. And it was just for part of it. But when I did I used a Sawyer.

I did hear on a podcast a guy tested some water and the only thing that worked was the steripen.
Are you saying the Steripen was the only method that effectively treated the water? My understanding is if the Steripen is used on cloudy water or water with foreign particles in it, it is not effective. Plus I wonder what the relationship is between battery power and effectiveness.

I switched from a sawyer to a katadyn hiker and I also keep the chlorine tablets handy. Before I had a filter, I just used the tablets and never had a problem with taste or small particles.

I find the pump to be much more convenient for small water sources where filling the sawyer bags is impractical.

Then there's the old lifestraw. That thing works great... if you can pull a golf ball through a garden hose.