Water Filtration

What is everyone's go to water filtration system? Back country and base camp. Looking for opinions on both setups. Thanks in advance.

Jimss

WKR
I bought one of the new, lighter weight Nalgene bottles and it worked great on several of my sheep scouting trips. I read through the posts above and decided to try a BeFree. The 1 liter bottle only weighs 2 oz and it's possible to carry the bottle empty until I get to water sources. Merely fill the bag and water is filtered as you drink it. It works great in clear streams and lakes. I imagine the filter may plug after filtering silty or muddy water. It's nice not having to worry about running out of water or carrying a larger-heavier filter around all day. It's possible to thread the BeFree on other bags or even Gatorade bottles.

MObucks

FNG
I just use the sawyer mini screwed onto a Fiji water bottle and it works great for me

Double on the sawyer mini, gravity feed or drink right out of a bottle with it, it’s a winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wellsdw

WKR
Maybe you guys can give some insight on this issue. I’ve Ran a squeeze for 3 trips now. Clear stream, great no issues. However my clear stream/spring in right at the base of my big north facing ridge the bed on. And I always kick elk up. My safe water source basically at the end of a swamp field. The stream flows fine but it’s dingy, and slow moving. My squeeze only trickles. And that’s with me sitting on the bag. Back flushing every 10-15 minutes. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. I hate spending two hrs prepping water for the next day

Pre1032

FNG
Any MSR is a great choice. MSR has served me well for years. Screws to the top of a nalgene. MSR filters most if not all bacteria, and I do believe it also filters some heavy metals (although don't quite me on that one.) Easy field cleaning, and the small one is under $100

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

joes3

FNG
Depends on time of year. A lot of the light-weight setups (sawyer), and gravity feed setups use filters that are trash if they freeze. Yes, water will still go through them. No, it won't actually be filtered.

In those situations, Steripen (if you can warm up batteries), or a good old katadyn ceramic/media filter are the way to go.

cmahoney

WKR
Maybe you guys can give some insight on this issue. I’ve Ran a squeeze for 3 trips now. Clear stream, great no issues. However my clear stream/spring in right at the base of my big north facing ridge the bed on. And I always kick elk up. My safe water source basically at the end of a swamp field. The stream flows fine but it’s dingy, and slow moving. My squeeze only trickles. And that’s with me sitting on the bag. Back flushing every 10-15 minutes. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. I hate spending two hrs prepping water for the next day

I take my hiker pro pump for crap water. The extra weight is worth the time it saves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hikenhunt

WKR
And to answer the OP, I use the sawyer squeeze for everything. I shake as much water out as I can and keep it in my sleeping bag at night to keep it from freezing.