Water purification, filter or drops?

JPhelps

Lil-Rokslider
I use the katadyn hiker pro and never had a problem. We carry iodine as backup but I don't think I could stomach pills and a mud puddle.

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
MSR mini works, i know it is old school & heavy. But it has worked well so far.

Mike7

WKR
I have an old "PUR" Hiker and it has been bomb proof. 15 ounces for immediate clear water that can be pumped out of a 2 inch deep mud puddle if need be. I try to avoid mud puddles of course and so the filters last forever it seems.

I bring tablets as backup, but they taste like crap and may not be so effective for Cryptosporidium cysts or even some other organisms if turbid water quality. Luckily, you don't become ill right away from most protozoans. They can be in any water supply if you are unlucky though, with geese carrying Crypto often and any mammal (voles, goats, and pikas as mentioned)possibly carrying Girardia. Some areas of the country even have problems with Girardia contamination of underground water (e.g. wells).

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Katadyn Vario is what I currently have, but need to get some replacement parts. Tablets come along as a backup.

Clifton

FNG
Hello,
I research lot of purification plant,
And at least i got an easy and cheap plant that is Berkey Water purification...
Its too easy is any one have any other system as compare then mine?

slim9300

WKR
I'm running the Katadyn Hiker Pro and AquaMira drops.

If I'm heading into an area that offers clean water, I bring the drops, but if I'm heading into the unknown I bring the Pro.

I agree with this 100%. Everywhere I have hunted elk except for the Gila, has had good water. Carrying a pump is truly pointless for my yearly trip into the MT backcountry since clean, running water is everywhere. I use the Aquamira drops. They don't seem to have any taste and they work quickly for a water treatment.

Last edited:

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Have you ever had any trouble with the Katadyn filter? I have had two of them now that failed when the little rubber valve on the output valve pushed through and then it doesn't get any suction. Generally I can push the little rubber valve back into place, but then I have to be careful how much pressure I put into the pump. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I have had basically the same issue twice now.

I dont have the Katadyn, but have friends that do. It suffers from the same stuff as the Sweetwater filter does. You shouldnt pump as hard and fast as you can. If you do you will break the system. Its not built to handle that kind of pressure. You need to pump at a smooth even mild pace. As the filter clogges and takes more force to move the water through you have to slow your pumping cadence.

It sounds to me like your pumping too hard and fast.

TJ

WKR
I have hiker pro that i got last year and really like it. I got the attachments to hook the filter directly into the drink tub. I never have to take my bladder out of the pack it is great. I also carry Klearwater drops as backup.

http://www.klearwater.com/

I use the Hiker Pro as well and use Aqua Mira as my back up. Most of the places I hunt I would be fine with the drops but occasionaly a filter is nice to have.

By the way where do you get the Klearwater? I have looked for a couple years and have yet to find them in stock anywhere.

Last edited:

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Hiker Pro as well and use Aqua Mira as my back up. Most of the places I hunt I would be fine with the drops but occasionaly a filter is nice to have.

By the way where do you get the Klearwater? I have looked for a couple years and have yet to find them in stock anywhere.

TJ,
the only place i can find it is the website.

twp1224

FNG
Iodine. I usually have a good water source within a mile or so. Fill up two bladders when I get to the source and leave one at camp and one in my pack.

Just because water is clear and running doesn't mean it is safe to drink. It could still easily have giaridia or other cysts. I would use tablets but don't want to wait 4 hours before I can drink my water.

slim9300

WKR
Just because water is clear and running doesn't mean it is safe to drink. It could still easily have giaridia or other cysts. I would use tablets but don't want to wait 4 hours before I can drink my water.

How about 15 minutes with Aquamira drops?

dotman

WKR
I have been using MSR Sweatwater drops for awhile now with zero problems. Probably not take the backup tablets this year.