Waterfowl clothing

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
I've dabbled in waterfowl hunting for a decade. Usually only via friend invites. I essentially own no waterfowl clothing. I'd like to slowly pick up a few items. Hunting location would mainly be in Michigan. I was looking into the Sitka Delta Wading jacket and Jetstream. My though is it would be my outerwear and I can layer whatever other whitetail or non-hunting clothing underneath. Thoughts? Suggestions? Am also looking into reasonably priced quality waders. Thanks

Wheels

WKR
The Delta Wading jacket is strictly a waterproof shell, probably wouldn’t need it most of the time. Jetstream is versatile, might look at the duck oven too. Rogers breathable waders are decent, get on their email list. They have sales all the time.

OP
Bobrunner06

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
I hear camo is very important for ducks. But how important could I get away with Sitka open country for more versatility in say like the Jetstream?

Having been waterfowling as my earliest memories, I have played around with thousands of dollars of gear. While still interior layers are very important you can get by with cheaper insulation. Personally blocking the cold wind or precipitation is key to staying warm, along with managing internal precipitation when you walk out (if you do).

For the outer layer, the Sitka delta wading jacket is hard to beat, for waders I currently use the Simms guide series in their camo offering. Picked them up for $500 and couldn't be more pleased.

OP
Bobrunner06

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
Having been waterfowling as my earliest memories, I have played around with thousands of dollars of gear. While still interior layers are very important you can get by with cheaper insulation. Personally blocking the cold wind or precipitation is key to staying warm, along with managing internal precipitation when you walk out (if you do).

For the outer layer, the Sitka delta wading jacket is hard to beat, for waders I currently use the Simms guide series in their camo offering. Picked them up for $500 and couldn't be more pleased.
Thanks Drew for the insight!

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
This is just my opinion, but I think there is a lot of things your money is better spent on than a fancy $500 jacket. Waterfowling can be a lot of things to different people, but I'm guessing since you mentioned a wading jacket I'm going to assume you are like many of use who hunt mainly shallow water. The thing with hunting water, especially wading is that you are going to get wet. If it isn't the water from outside, you are going to sweat on the inside, there's simply no way around it. For most people we aren't out there too long. Most people only hunt the first light to maybe 9am. Many of us have found that 10am to noon window to be worth the wait. I almost never stay out on the water all day though, there's no reason for it, and I wouldn't want a duck I shot at 8am to sit in the boat until dark either. What I'm trying to say is that I don't think normal waterfowling is the time or place to be spending on fancy jackets unless you simply want a jacket. If you have the money and want it, go for it. If you don't have thousands of dollars laying around, I think you would be much better off with a basic rain jacket, and normal clothes. That money is better spent on boats or decoys. And if you already have that covered, get a layout blind and some field decoys, give that a shot.

As for camo, after reading over and over about the current fad of solid colors vs camo I decided to try it out in 2021 and last year. The conclusion I came to is not that surprising. Camo doesn't make that big of a difference, but it does make a difference. I don't worry about my boots or hat or things like that, and none of my guns are camo, but I definitely want my torso and legs camo. For deer and such that are basically blind it makes no difference. For ducks, they do care. If you are always fully concealed in natural brush well, then it matters little, but there's lots of times you have to hunt less than ideal spots. That's where your boats camo/blind, and your own camo can give you that little extra help.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
I forgot to mention waders. There's two styles, bootfoot and stocking foot. There's really only two materials anymore, neoprene, and breathable.

Bootfoot vs stockingfoot, here is my experience. With stockingfoot you wear a separate pair of boots on the outside. These waders are the best to walk in since the boot is a tight fit, you lace them up. The downside, and this was a big one for me, is you then need to take those boots off to take your waders off. There's not much worse than trying to unlace muck covered, soaked, wader boots in November. It can get even worse if you let them freeze a little. You then should spray out the boots before you put them back on since they will be filled with mud. Bootfoot on the other hand is like wearing rubber boots. They don't fit perfect, but it's not bad assuming you bought the right size. You just get in your waders when you want, and take them off when you want. Wash them if you want, or don't, doesn't make a big difference.

Neoprene vs breathable isn't much of a debate anymore. It used to be that neoprene was 1/2 or less the cost of breathable waders. That's not really the case anymore. From a purely practical standpoint, breathable material waders are better than neoprene in every single way. I can't think of a single thing neoprene is better at. One thing to note is that "breathable" waders aren't like cloth. They aren't as bad as neoprene, but on a hot day they still feel like a plastic bag. Durability wise I'm not sure there is a huge difference. Neither is anywhere close to as good as the old rubberized canvas waders they don't make anymore (I'd buy them over breathable if I could). Comfort, it isn't even ballpark between the two. Neoprene waders are basically a wet suit. Breathable waders are SO much lighter and more flexible. Even back in the mid 2000's I'm still surprised neoprene's took over. Yeah the rubberized canvas had no stretch, but they lasted. You just took the straps off when you sat down, then it didn't matter.

There is also a choice to buy insulated or uninsulated waders. There isn't really such a thing as uninsulated neoprene waders. The neoprene itself is quite warm. With breathable style my opinion is to not worry about it much, but make sure the insulation is removable. Wearing insulated waders in September and most of October would be a deathwish for me. Especially with how flexible breathable waders are, you can put on layers underneath. Many waders the insulation is removable, but they also cost a lot more. Choose what you want, but even for last week ice on pond conditions, uninsulated waders with a baselayer and some sweatpants are enough for me. I buy what is cheaper and never use insulation.

Depending on how big you are can make a huge impact on what you buy. It used to be only 15-20 years ago you could walk into a farm store and there would be a rack of waders for you to choose from. Bootfoot from size 7 up to size 17. About 20 years ago you could still get the rubberized canvas waders from your local store in any size and walk out the door for $50. Today that is no longer the case. It's rare I see much for waders unless you happen to be size 9-12 mens. I'm not sure what women do, it's probably even worse for them. In my case I wear a size 15 minimum, sometimes size 16 if the toe is too narrow. They do not make bootfoot waders in different widths like EEE that I've seen. This might be an advantage for stockingfoot waders, but even those rarely have a stockingfoot that will handle a foot over 13. The "best" waders that people love is Simms, they are the only ones made in USA anymore. Even custom shop they won't do big stockingfoot or bootfoot anymore. Size 14 is the limit on those. If you are my size, you probably know about bigcamo.com. They used to offer a decent selection of waders, but looking now it's pathetic. All $400+ cheap Chineese garbage. I say that from first hand experience. My last waders were Banded breathable waders, and they are terrible. I got lucky, mine didn't leak out of the box. They didn't last long though, the boot started to fall apart quickly. Anyway, enough ranting. Take a good look at the Rogers Sporting goods breathable waders. They are the best deal going right now, and they aren't poor quality, and they are one of the only brands right now making a size 15 that isn't special made for bigcamo.com. The Workingman waders are the best deal out there. Even though they are brown, it's easy to cover yourself in a camo burlap in the boat. If in the water, it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
If you go with Sitka, Eurooptic has some great deals on closeouts.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
I stand corrected, it appears Sitka waders are also made in the USA. Still nothing over size 14 though. Plus being a cool $1000, I'm not sure how long it would take me to stop crying after I get a small cut in them.

KurtR

WKR
I hunt water once a year to remind me how much better fields are. With that said I froze my ass off in shitty clothing when I was younger enough to appreciate the good clothing I have now. No more walls coveralls and bread sacks in my boots for me.

Sniperbait1

FNG
Classified Approved
I'm a big fan of wool shirts and I wear a old m65 field jacket over it. For waders I've been using cabelas brand neoprene boot foot for the last 7 or 8 years. Everything gets wet there's no way around it the wool seems to keep me relatively warm.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Avid waterfowler here. Been all over: fields, water, pot holes, boats, early season, mid season, late season, hunting in 90+ degree days and -20s. I live and breathe waterfowl. I'm ashamed to say my phone has more pics of dead animals than my kids! 🤣🤣

I currently wear nothing but Sitka for waterfowl......BUT I really don't see a need for it.

Before I became a "camo snob," I had a mix-mash of camo, waders and such. I'd by Cabelas brand bibs, Under Armor baselayers (before I discovered merino), Roger's 1/4 Zip and a Drake wading 1/2 fleece-1/2 waterproof jacket, an Old Gander Mountain TechH2O jacket and neoprene waders......and it worked! I still have them for "backup" clothes, or if a buddy forgets an item. Last season my gear was in my brothers truck and I had to use my old camo and performed flawlessly.

My cabelas bibs and Drake jacket are warm and waterproof and I'd easily hunt with them in a heart beat.

I hunt in a club and have seen every camo from head to toe Sitka (like me) to Drake, to Roger's camo, to Hard Core, Real Tree Hardwoods. Hell, we even had a guy in the blind with an old reversible camo/blaze orange vest with blaze orange stick out on on the side. One other guy hunted in a Red Alabama hat in the blind. Or another we had a 3rd guy show up with blaze orange gloves for deer hunting!

I guess bottom line, as long as your not moving, use normal camo and not an idiot (like the three guys I mentioned above) you'll be ok.

I do prefer the Sitka pattern or Max-4 (or whatever thr new Max camo is.) Drake is really good too. There's a lot of options. I will also second the opinion that neoprene sucks. Breathable is def the way to go. But still moisture gets in just from your own sweat. Buy a boot dryer for day-by-day use.

The biggest thing is staying dry. Merino wool and baselayers that pull moisture away from you are awesome. Layer your clothes and you'll be fine. You don't need $1,000s for camo.

Lots of inexpensive base layers, mid layers can get you buy. But I would recommend good waterproof outter layers beacuse being wet, clamy and cold is miserable--and that's usually when waterfowl hunting takes place.

If it were me and I was just starting out, didnt want to break the bank, heres exactly what I would do:
•Buy Black Ovis merino wool top & bottom baselayers from CamoFire.com
•Buy a Max-4 Hoodie from Roger's (Or Sitka Dakota Hoodie/Drake Midweight Wading Fleece)
•Buy Roger's long sleeve camo shirt
•Buy Banded Breathable Uninsulated Waders
•Cabelas Waterproof Bibs
•Farm & Fleet brown Beanie (Or Sitka Dakota Beanie)
•CostCo Merino Socks
•Waterproof, leather boots for early, mid and late season (I just use my deer hunting boots and they double as field boots)
•Jogging/fleece athletic pants for insulation over bibs/under waders
•Waterproof Shell Jacket (Uninsulated)

Last edited:
OP
Bobrunner06

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
I forgot to mention waders. There's two styles, bootfoot and stocking foot. There's really only two materials anymore, neoprene, and breathable.

Bootfoot vs stockingfoot, here is my experience. With stockingfoot you wear a separate pair of boots on the outside. These waders are the best to walk in since the boot is a tight fit, you lace them up. The downside, and this was a big one for me, is you then need to take those boots off to take your waders off. There's not much worse than trying to unlace muck covered, soaked, wader boots in November. It can get even worse if you let them freeze a little. You then should spray out the boots before you put them back on since they will be filled with mud. Bootfoot on the other hand is like wearing rubber boots. They don't fit perfect, but it's not bad assuming you bought the right size. You just get in your waders when you want, and take them off when you want. Wash them if you want, or don't, doesn't make a big difference.

Neoprene vs breathable isn't much of a debate anymore. It used to be that neoprene was 1/2 or less the cost of breathable waders. That's not really the case anymore. From a purely practical standpoint, breathable material waders are better than neoprene in every single way. I can't think of a single thing neoprene is better at. One thing to note is that "breathable" waders aren't like cloth. They aren't as bad as neoprene, but on a hot day they still feel like a plastic bag. Durability wise I'm not sure there is a huge difference. Neither is anywhere close to as good as the old rubberized canvas waders they don't make anymore (I'd buy them over breathable if I could). Comfort, it isn't even ballpark between the two. Neoprene waders are basically a wet suit. Breathable waders are SO much lighter and more flexible. Even back in the mid 2000's I'm still surprised neoprene's took over. Yeah the rubberized canvas had no stretch, but they lasted. You just took the straps off when you sat down, then it didn't matter.

There is also a choice to buy insulated or uninsulated waders. There isn't really such a thing as uninsulated neoprene waders. The neoprene itself is quite warm. With breathable style my opinion is to not worry about it much, but make sure the insulation is removable. Wearing insulated waders in September and most of October would be a deathwish for me. Especially with how flexible breathable waders are, you can put on layers underneath. Many waders the insulation is removable, but they also cost a lot more. Choose what you want, but even for last week ice on pond conditions, uninsulated waders with a baselayer and some sweatpants are enough for me. I buy what is cheaper and never use insulation.

Depending on how big you are can make a huge impact on what you buy. It used to be only 15-20 years ago you could walk into a farm store and there would be a rack of waders for you to choose from. Bootfoot from size 7 up to size 17. About 20 years ago you could still get the rubberized canvas waders from your local store in any size and walk out the door for $50. Today that is no longer the case. It's rare I see much for waders unless you happen to be size 9-12 mens. I'm not sure what women do, it's probably even worse for them. In my case I wear a size 15 minimum, sometimes size 16 if the toe is too narrow. They do not make bootfoot waders in different widths like EEE that I've seen. This might be an advantage for stockingfoot waders, but even those rarely have a stockingfoot that will handle a foot over 13. The "best" waders that people love is Simms, they are the only ones made in USA anymore. Even custom shop they won't do big stockingfoot or bootfoot anymore. Size 14 is the limit on those. If you are my size, you probably know about bigcamo.com. They used to offer a decent selection of waders, but looking now it's pathetic. All $400+ cheap Chineese garbage. I say that from first hand experience. My last waders were Banded breathable waders, and they are terrible. I got lucky, mine didn't leak out of the box. They didn't last long though, the boot started to fall apart quickly. Anyway, enough ranting. Take a good look at the Rogers Sporting goods breathable waders. They are the best deal going right now, and they aren't poor quality, and they are one of the only brands right now making a size 15 that isn't special made for bigcamo.com. The Workingman waders are the best deal out there. Even though they are brown, it's easy to cover yourself in a camo burlap in the boat. If in the water, it doesn't matter.
Thanks Novashooter for the detailed information. I have some older Sims stocking foot waders but never really considered them for waterfowl. I could prob bulk up on mid and base layers but I feel that the boots would be too cold

OP
Bobrunner06

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
This is just my opinion, but I think there is a lot of things your money is better spent on than a fancy $500 jacket. Waterfowling can be a lot of things to different people, but I'm guessing since you mentioned a wading jacket I'm going to assume you are like many of use who hunt mainly shallow water. The thing with hunting water, especially wading is that you are going to get wet. If it isn't the water from outside, you are going to sweat on the inside, there's simply no way around it. For most people we aren't out there too long. Most people only hunt the first light to maybe 9am. Many of us have found that 10am to noon window to be worth the wait. I almost never stay out on the water all day though, there's no reason for it, and I wouldn't want a duck I shot at 8am to sit in the boat until dark either. What I'm trying to say is that I don't think normal waterfowling is the time or place to be spending on fancy jackets unless you simply want a jacket. If you have the money and want it, go for it. If you don't have thousands of dollars laying around, I think you would be much better off with a basic rain jacket, and normal clothes. That money is better spent on boats or decoys. And if you already have that covered, get a layout blind and some field decoys, give that a shot.

As for camo, after reading over and over about the current fad of solid colors vs camo I decided to try it out in 2021 and last year. The conclusion I came to is not that surprising. Camo doesn't make that big of a difference, but it does make a difference. I don't worry about my boots or hat or things like that, and none of my guns are camo, but I definitely want my torso and legs camo. For deer and such that are basically blind it makes no difference. For ducks, they do care. If you are always fully concealed in natural brush well, then it matters little, but there's lots of times you have to hunt less than ideal spots. That's where your boats camo/blind, and your own camo can give you that little extra help.
haha- No I don't really have money just sitting around. I just try to upgrade my gear here and there. Mostly have done whitetail hunting and a couple out west trips. I really don't have a good rain jacket, have just kinda "gotten by". That kinda why I was thinking about getting a rain shell that serves for waterfowl. Maybe the wading jacket isn't as versatile

OP
Bobrunner06

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
Avid waterfowler here. Been all over: fields, water, pot holes, boats, early season, mid season, late season, hunting in 90+ degree days and -20s. I live and breathe waterfowl. I'm ashamed to say my phone has more pics of dead animals than my kids! 🤣🤣

I currently wear nothing but Sitka for waterfowl......BUT I really don't see a need for it.

Before I became a "camo snob," I had a mix-mash of camo, waders and such. I'd by Cabelas brand bibs, Under Armor baselayers (before I discovered merino), Roger's 1/4 Zip and a Drake wading 1/2 fleece-1/2 waterproof jacket, an Old Gander Mountain TechH2O jacket and neoprene waders......and it worked! I still have them for "backup" clothes, or if a buddy forgets an item. Last season my gear was in my brothers truck and I had to use my old camo and performed flawlessly.

My cabelas bibs and Drake jacket are warm and waterproof and I'd easily hunt with them in a heart beat.

I hunt in a club and have seen every camo from head to toe Sitka (like me) to Drake, to Roger's camo, to Hard Core, Real Tree Hardwoods. Hell, we even had a guy in the blind with an old reversible camo/blaze orange vest with blaze orange stick out on on the side. One other guy hunted in a Red Alabama hat in the blind. Or another we had a 3rd guy show up with blaze orange gloves for deer hunting!

I guess bottom line, as long as your not moving, use normal camo and not an idiot (like the three guys I mentioned above) you'll be ok.

I do prefer the Sitka pattern or Max-4 (or whatever thr new Max camo is.) Drake is really good too. There's a lot of options. I will also second the opinion that neoprene sucks. Breathable is def the way to go. But still moisture gets in just from your own sweat. Buy a boot dryer for day-by-day use.

The biggest thing is staying dry. Merino wool and baselayers that pull moisture away from you are awesome. Layer your clothes and you'll be fine. You don't need $1,000s for camo.

Lots of inexpensive base layers, mid layers can get you buy. But I would recommend good waterproof outter layers beacuse being wet, clamy and cold is miserable--and that's usually when waterfowl hunting takes place.

If it were me and I was just starting out, didnt want to break the bank, heres exactly what I would do:
•Buy Black Ovis merino wool top & bottom baselayers from CamoFire.com
•Buy a Max-4 Hoodie from Roger's (Or Sitka Dakota Hoodie/Drake Midweight Wading Fleece)
•Buy Roger's long sleeve camo shirt
•Buy Banded Breathable Uninsulated Waders
•Cabelas Waterproof Bibs
•Farm & Fleet brown Beanie (Or Sitka Dakota Beanie)
•CostCo Merino Socks
•Waterproof, leather boots for early, mid and late season (I just use my deer hunting boots and they double as field boots)
•Jogging/fleece athletic pants for insulation over bibs/under waders
•Waterproof Shell Jacket (Uninsulated)
Thanks for the suggestions. Your hunt club friends at least sound fun haha. What is your most used Sitka piece for waterfowl?