Waterfowl clothing

Fowl Play

WKR
I've killed allot of ducks wearing the shirt in my avatar. In my opinion, if you are hunting from a properly set up blind, you do not need camo at all. For me, I put a ton of effort into making my blinds. I ensure I am hunting behind thick heavy cover where a duck cannot catch my outline no matter how hard they look -- I can barely see the ducks when looking through leaves and sticks from a seated position. A camo pattern is less critical in these applications. Just matching the general color tone is more important. Doesn't matter what camo you are wearing if ducks see your outline after doing a couple 360 degree circles around you before committing. Also, ensure you cover your white hands and face. Even from good blinds and good camo, I can pick out another hunter a 1/2 mile away purely from seeing his uncovered face or hands move -- I'm sure ducks can see it much farther than that.

OP
Bobrunner06

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
I've killed allot of ducks wearing the shirt in my avatar. In my opinion, if you are hunting from a properly set up blind, you do not need camo at all. For me, I put a ton of effort into making my blinds. I ensure I am hunting behind thick heavy cover where a duck cannot catch my outline no matter how hard they look -- I can barely see the ducks when looking through leaves and sticks from a seated position. A camo pattern is less critical in these applications. Just matching the general color tone is more important. Doesn't matter what camo you are wearing if ducks see your outline after doing a couple 360 degree circles around you before committing. Also, ensure you cover your white hands and face. Even from good blinds and good camo, I can pick out another hunter a 1/2 mile away purely from seeing his uncovered face or hands move -- I'm sure ducks can see it much farther than that.
great points! Thanks

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
I've dabbled in waterfowl hunting for a decade. Usually only via friend invites. I essentially own no waterfowl clothing. I'd like to slowly pick up a few items. Hunting location would mainly be in Michigan. I was looking into the Sitka Delta Wading jacket and Jetstream. My though is it would be my outerwear and I can layer whatever other whitetail or non-hunting clothing underneath. Thoughts? Suggestions? Am also looking into reasonably priced quality waders. Thanks
I hunt and use the high and dry neoprene waders (wyo freezing temps), and use my earth colored stone glacier gear. I was smacking ducks all year. Geese as well.

Imo the best advice I got for the snow was a non shiny bed sheet for snowy ground. Works surprisingly well.

Sitka is nice, I run a few of their pieces, however others have kept me just as warm and hidden. Good luck and you'll have a blast!

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
Those are good points about the face and hands, but I think it's generally a little over blown. A hat with a brim does a pretty good job alone. I don't like wearing gloves unless I have to, but most people do. I can't stand face masks at all. Years ago I played with face paint and it's not worth it to me. I just smear some mud on my face and back of hands and that's all I do. Mud works great and cleans off easy.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt saltwater marshes and our season goes from early Oct when a T shirt and light hoody suffice to the end Jan when its wet snow and icy (beauty days when all the local freshwater is froze but the ocen is open" . I find its about good base layers and a weather proof outer. I layer up with merino, and stansfield wool with a HH rain Jacket on the outside when its a downpour or a cheaper cablelas water reistant camo shell when its not soaking wet. And, a good pair of neoprene waders with fleece pants on underneath keep me toasty if I'm sitting in a blind or laying out "which is normally the case".

that said I had my eye on a sweet sitka Jacket that I juts can't bring myslef to spend the $$ on. But its probably comfier and less bulky then what I currently wear in the later months

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the suggestions. Your hunt club friends at least sound fun haha. What is your most used Sitka piece for waterfowl?

Sitka Dakota Hoodie, by far.

It's my favorite waterfowl piece of camo.

It's waterproof, wind resistant, warm with the "fuzzy" interior and a hood. It can be worn on its own as an outter layer or a layering piece. I almost always wear it my outer layer.

I've worn it under my waders, or on top of I know it's gonna rain. I always have it on me. It's bomb proof. I layer underneath with merino or a dakota vest depending in the temp but it's my best piece of gear.

I've been in rain soaking downpours and it's kept me dry.

I love the warm pouch in front. The cell phone pouch on the left chest.

I honestly can't say enough good things about it.

geterdone

FNG
Sitka gradient, duck oven and delta are a great combo, duck oven comes and goes through the season with the cold temperatures. I always wear the delta as a durable outer layer unless it gets hot out.

The waders are very nice but I can't say they are worth the price tag. You can find good waders for half the price. If you don't mind spending the money though, buy them.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

JC_68Westy

FNG
Classified Approved
After years of using different brands like Drake, FA, etc. I now use Sitka. The important thing is to use the whole system. I tried mixing other clothing underneath buy it didn't work well. I have three jackets (Hudson, Delta Wading, and Duck Oven along with base and mid layers. I am comfortable all season with the mix of clothing.

Sitka Dakota Hoodie, by far.

It's my favorite waterfowl piece of camo.

It's waterproof, wind resistant, warm with the "fuzzy" interior and a hood. It can be worn on its own as an outter layer or a layering piece. I almost always wear it my outer layer.

I've worn it under my waders, or on top of I know it's gonna rain. I always have it on me. It's bomb proof. I layer underneath with merino or a dakota vest depending in the temp but it's my best piece of gear.

I've been in rain soaking downpours and it's kept me dry.

I love the warm pouch in front. The cell phone pouch on the left chest.

I honestly can't say enough good things about it.
Good to know. I have been on the fence with buying the Dakota Hoody, because I wasn't sure how good it would hold up in the rain. On Sitka's website they rate it a 3/5 for water protection. If you're saying it has kept you dry in a downpour that's good enough for me, although I understand it's not the same as an actual waterproof shell.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Good to know. I have been on the fence with buying the Dakota Hoody, because I wasn't sure how good it would hold up in the rain. On Sitka's website they rate it a 3/5 for water protection. If you're saying it has kept you dry in a downpour that's good enough for me, although I understand it's not the same as an actual waterproof shell.

Yeah, I love mine. If I only could only have one piece of Sitka Waterfowl gear, I'd pick the Dakota Hoodie.

My standard kit depending on temperature and weather (dry, rain, snow, sleet) is:
Merino baselayers
Core long sleeve
Dakota Vest
Dakota hoodie
Delta jacket
Gradient hoodie (layering piece or if it isn't gonna rain)
Gradient pants
Hudson Bibs
Dakota Beanie
Neck Gaiter
Merino socks
Rubber boots/regular insulated boots depending on temperature/rain/snow

With this kit I hunt from warm early season to late season frigid temps for afternoon hunts and everything in between.

I had the duck over, too big/bulky for me. Borrowed Hudson Jacket to try it out from a buddy, didn't like it cuz it wasn't like the waterproof shell that the Hudson Bibs are. I sold mine, my brother still has his but doesn't wear it often. That's why I got the Delta jacket last yeae for a shell piece. I though it was strange that the Hudson Bibs didn't have insulation but the jacket did. I expected the Hudson jacket to be a "shell" piece like the Bibs, but it wasn't. And I wanted a shell piece to round out my system.

The key is layering and staying dry. That will solve 95% of your issues.

I've dabbled in waterfowl hunting for a decade. Usually only via friend invites. I essentially own no waterfowl clothing. I'd like to slowly pick up a few items. Hunting location would mainly be in Michigan. I was looking into the Sitka Delta Wading jacket and Jetstream. My though is it would be my outerwear and I can layer whatever other whitetail or non-hunting clothing underneath. Thoughts? Suggestions? Am also looking into reasonably priced quality waders. Thanks
Yes, I run most of my King's camo and Drakes stuff together. Hell, the way I hunt I don't even need camo. Just warm dry clothes

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
Y'all make this a lot more difficult than it should be with these 'kits' and 'running' gear.

I've got a hodgepodge of clothing I've put together after years of trying different items, I usually hunt ducks around 60 days annually. For me, good waders make a big difference, I've used Chene for the last 2 years, no complaints. Kelvin Lite jacket in brown and a First Lite henley for when it's really cold, good base layers, good socks, and some lighter fleece shirts and pullovers when it's 45 degrees or warmer. I don't like gloves when I'm hunting, I use some rubber gloves with lining for driving the boat or ATV. I don't like face paint or face masks, if it's not warm I wear a neck gaiter I can pull up and know when, and when not too, look up.

OP
Bobrunner06

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I love mine. If I only could only have one piece of Sitka Waterfowl gear, I'd pick the Dakota Hoodie.

My standard kit depending on temperature and weather (dry, rain, snow, sleet) is:
Merino baselayers
Core long sleeve
Dakota Vest
Dakota hoodie
Delta jacket
Gradient hoodie (layering piece or if it isn't gonna rain)
Gradient pants
Hudson Bibs
Dakota Beanie
Neck Gaiter
Merino socks
Rubber boots/regular insulated boots depending on temperature/rain/snow

With this kit I hunt from warm early season to late season frigid temps for afternoon hunts and everything in between.

I had the duck over, too big/bulky for me. Borrowed Hudson Jacket to try it out from a buddy, didn't like it cuz it wasn't like the waterproof shell that the Hudson Bibs are. I sold mine, my brother still has his but doesn't wear it often. That's why I got the Delta jacket last yeae for a shell piece. I though it was strange that the Hudson Bibs didn't have insulation but the jacket did. I expected the Hudson jacket to be a "shell" piece like the Bibs, but it wasn't. And I wanted a shell piece to round out my system.

The key is layering and staying dry. That will solve 95% of your issues.
Dang you have the whole giddy-up! haha. Thanks for your insights. Definitely leaning toward the Dakota hoody but I just keep thinking: 300$ hoody really haha

Dang you have the whole giddy-up! haha. Thanks for your insights. Definitely leaning toward the Dakota hoody but I just keep thinking: 300$ hoody really haha
I thought the same thing, but the more I looked at it, it's more like a jacket without a full zip. Also RMEF-30 gets you 30% off your order right now... I ordered one last night. I plan on trying it on some whitetail hunts also, as I dont see why it wouldnt work well for that also. So I got it in optifade timber.

DuckDogDr

WKR
I also chase the birds to a crazy extent ..traveled to Canada, down to Argentina and everywhere in between.
I hate being a camo snob but there are 2 companies Gear that just works well..

Everyone leaves out the NatGear for some reason. I wouldn’t call their stuff lightweight but it does perform as advertised and has kept me warm and dry on numerous occasions and is reasonably priced. Just not a lot of variety with options and again stuff is heavy but their camo pattern works well for my environment and is comfortable

However I do gravitate towards my Sitka gear for keeping me warm. My girlfriend used to give me as much skit as the forum members give each other for Sitka Gear… she changed her tune real quick this past year when we went sea duck hunting..
17 degrees with a 27 mph wind… made her wear the Sitka stuff and I wore some of the other clothing we bought …about 1/2 way through the hunt she said I am warmish but I really don’t feel the wind cutting through me…… and fellas she hung with it and went out all 3 days but refused to give my jacket back (the duck oven)

As other have stated … layers are important
My base is Minus 33 (thickness varies on temp)
A cheap fleece sweat pant / wader pant
Uninsulated waders

Top .. merino Tshirt than another appropriate weighted merino. +/ a fleece shirt
I have recently discovered vests
Then if it really freezing the duck oven and I am warm

For all things Holy avoid Banded waders
IMG_4501.jpeg

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Y'all make this a lot more difficult than it should be with these 'kits' and 'running' gear.

I've got a hodgepodge of clothing I've put together after years of trying different items, I usually hunt ducks around 60 days annually. For me, good waders make a big difference, I've used Chene for the last 2 years, no complaints. Kelvin Lite jacket in brown and a First Lite henley for when it's really cold, good base layers, good socks, and some lighter fleece shirts and pullovers when it's 45 degrees or warmer. I don't like gloves when I'm hunting, I use some rubber gloves with lining for driving the boat or ATV. I don't like face paint or face masks, if it's not warm I wear a neck gaiter I can pull up and know when, and when not too, look up.

Your exactly right, I also still have my hodge podge stuff! And it worked perfectly fine and still does! I hunt probably 60-75 days a year. I would have zero problems going out with my older stuff:

Cabelas bibs, Under Armor Hoodie, Drake Midweight jacket, Cabelas lighted Beanie. DU ball cap, Black Ovis Merino, Under Armor base layers, CostCo merino socks, Gander Mtn TechH2O shell jacket, and a plane Jane camo fleece pants. There's TONS of options and many of them all work!

I bought my Sitka stuff little by little as I went along. A deal here a sale there, sold some old stuff to get X, Y or Z or just got promotions at work to be able to afford some more camo....I built my current kit over time. If I don't like it, I don't wear it and get rid of it. If it doesn't help me stay comfortable and dry, it's not worth my time.

I hunt way too much to deal with ineffective gear. I love hunting too much to have some lesser piece of equipment fail or feel that I'm be compensating. Buy once. Cry once. Yeah, I've turned into a bit of a gear snob, but it works!

For the record. My brother hunts with me 95-98%% of the same time and he hunts in the old generic stuff and we shoot heeps of ducks and geese together. Honestly, it's the hunter, not the gear.

But I do like my Sitka stuff, and damn do I look cool in pictures! 🤣🤣

OP
Bobrunner06

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
Your exactly right, I also still have my hodge podge stuff! And it worked perfectly fine and still does! I hunt probably 60-75 days a year. I would have zero problems going out with my older stuff:

Cabelas bibs, Under Armor Hoodie, Drake Midweight jacket, Cabelas lighted Beanie. DU ball cap, Black Ovis Merino, Under Armor base layers, CostCo merino socks, Gander Mtn TechH2O shell jacket, and a plane Jane camo fleece pants. There's TONS of options and many of them all work!

I bought my Sitka stuff little by little as I went along. A deal here a sale there, sold some old stuff to get X, Y or Z or just got promotions at work to be able to afford some more camo....I built my current kit over time. If I don't like it, I don't wear it and get rid of it. If it doesn't help me stay comfortable and dry, it's not worth my time.

I hunt way too much to deal with ineffective gear. I love hunting too much to have some lesser piece of equipment fail or feel that I'm be compensating. Buy once. Cry once. Yeah, I've turned into a bit of a gear snob, but it works!

For the record. My brother hunts with me 95-98%% of the same time and he hunts in the old generic stuff and we shoot heeps of ducks and geese together. Honestly, it's the hunter, not the gear.

But I do like my Sitka stuff, and damn do I look cool in pictures! 🤣🤣
I'm the same way. I have some nice stuff that I've upgraded during sales or used, but still wearing hand-me-downs from my uncle haha

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
I'm the same way. I have some nice stuff that I've upgraded during sales or used, but still wearing hand-me-downs from my uncle haha

Don't get me wrong, all of my stuff is higher end/nicer. I don't spare much expense when it comes to duck hunting. If I want it, I buy it. What I don't do is go chasing the latest brand or try to make sure all of my hunting clothes match.