Ways to holster your side arm to bag or self during elk hunt

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
I know this topic should probably be under gear but since it involves an elk hunt that I am going on I figured what better place. So I have a glock 10mm that I will be taking with me during my elk rifle hunt and I am trying to figure out the best way to adhere it to me or the bag. Your probably thinking why would you want a side piece if you have a rifle? Well the more the merrier I guess. I will also be using the kifaru gun bearer that will be on my right hand side so that just about excludes that area of property. I am right handed by the way. any ideas, thoughts or solutions? I am using the eberlestock remef m5 bag just to give you an idea of what I have to work with.

Toughest choices I make are where to put the pistol, bear spray, and how to keep the stupid bugle tube from bashing against them all day. I don't have a great solution. But, I keep the bear spray hanging from the strap on my bino harness on the right side. I keep the pistol tucked inside the belt strap on my pack with an inside the band holster. Not ideal, but it sorta works.

Problem is always finding a good place to carry it without having it aimed at my legs all day too.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I bought a 10mm 1911 for a side arm this year. Shortly after I bought it there were problems with the hammer staying cocked. It went back to the manufacturer about a week ago. I'm leaving for my hunt in 24 days. A buddy said it it's not back I can borrow his glock 20. I just don't know what to get as far as either a chest rig for one or the other or something else.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
I used a hill people recon this bow season, and really liked it. Also had the bino and TQ pouch they sell attached to it, but ditched the bino pouch pretty quick. I just never use the binos much anymore.

When I rifle hunt, the pistol stays home.

274FE45A-30BF-4CF9-9A4E-F046349BF8E2.jpeg

Most practical would be a drop (thigh) holster on your left side. Of course more gear and buckles/straps means more noise and stuff to catch on brush. If your pack has molle attachments mess around with different cross draw spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
I may leave the pistol in camp since I will have a rifle and the guide will probably be packing as well but it will be riding along with me in the truck as I travel to and from for personal protection no doubt.

Bearsears

WKR
Im not a fan of carrying a pistol on my hip belt or attached to my pack bag. In most encounters you have seconds to respond. I think it needs to be always attached to you (especially if you are working on an animal) for that reason I suggest carrying on a chest rig/bino harness or a thigh holster.

PredatorX

WKR
I used a hill people recon this bow season, and really liked it. Also had the bino and TQ pouch they sell attached to it, but ditched the bino pouch pretty quick. I just never use the binos much anymore.

When I rifle hunt, the pistol stays home.

View attachment 221812
Love my Wiley Clapp. Nice pistol.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

blkntancj

FNG
The Hill People Gear kit bag shown above is an excellent choice. Also look at the FHF bino pack with the Razco holster

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
Most practical would be a drop (thigh) holster on your left side. Of course more gear and buckles/straps means more noise and stuff to catch on brush. If your pack has molle attachments mess around with different cross draw spots.

Drop holsters are horrible for hiking in.

Hill People Gear Kit Bag is the best way to carry while hunting, IMO. I've tried a lot of other ways and have finally ended my search.

I’ve been carrying my G19 in a Razco FHF holster that fits my AGC Bino harness. Just picked up a G40 and a Razco for it as well. I’ve drawn twice when startling bears and it’s super natural and quick. Would recommend 100 percent

GotDraw?

WKR
You have a rifle, guide has a rifle. Do you really need deal with the logistics to bring a pistol that you will end up leaving at camp and the greater loss risk that entails vs. whatever you can't deal with having two rifles?

Skip the pistol and the hassle, keep the rifle in your hotel room at night for personal protection. That leaves personal protection while fueling your truck or eating at McDonalds on the way to hunt. You are probably safe there.

It seems like this is turning into a lot of brain cycles when you and the guide already have guns... and I like guns.

JL

Last edited:

jpe5714

Lil-Rokslider
I used my Ravin Concealment for my G17. I had it on my belt last month in the Thorofare and had a grizz sow with 2 cubs behind her charge us (she had my bull buried, I shot it at last night the evening before) as we were cutting him up. I've been an LEO for 30 years and have been carrying my pistol there, so I was on her in about a second. muscle memory. carry what you are familiar with and train with

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
well not to get to logistic like but if I really had to shoot someone close range with a 300 win mag 180 grain I would probably get some pass thru not only the person but possibly structure as well and that could really involve law and all sorts of things where as if I had my good ol g20 with a hollow point might not be as bad a deal. either way would suck. ha

Elk97

WKR
Carry it on your pants belt, maybe cross draw if rifle hunting. You want it on you at all times (while breaking an animal down, etc), not on your pack. Thigh holsters are terrible if hiking any distance. I use a Hunter 1100 series, allows my 357 revolver to ride below pack belt.

This is what I did, I used the Gunfighters Inc aggression panel with their ronin holster with a closed to keep junk out. Worked great for me using my Glock.