Weapon mounted light for Backcountry Sidearm

Rooggvc

WKR
How many of you are using a weapon mounted light on your backcountry sidearm? I have never carried a pistol with a mounted light, I have just used a hand held flashlight. Are the weapon mounted lights worth the money? Are there any disadvantages I should be aware of?

WKR
I use a weapon mounted light and always have a headlamp accessible. I think they're worth the money. Cost, weight, and decreased concealability are all downsides.

I do. Chances are 50/50 that if you need to use your weapon, it is gonna be dark. There are plenty of techniques to run a handheld light and a weapon, but they are a compromise for gun /recoil control and manipulation. Headlamp alleviates some of that but not all. In the highly unlikely scenarios where you are gonna be breaking shots from your pistol in the dark it is Better to have the light on the gun IMO.

I run a Surefire xc1 on a glock 20. Weighs 1.6 oz and doesn’t protrude beyond the barrel. 300 hundred lumens and it can be unmounted to be a spare flash light. They arent Cheap at $300 but The one I run lives on a CCW when not in the woods so it pulls double duty.

PS make sure you run lithium batteries. You don’t want a $1 battery to leak in cold weather and ruin your $300 light.

Last edited:
I try not to use a light whenever possible. If absolutely necessary, a dim red flashlight is used.
The side arm, has a Crimson Trace laser, with pressure sensitive grip, to help point the way to the target, from the hip if needed.

Scorpion

WKR
I try not to use a light whenever possible. If absolutely necessary, a dim red flashlight is used.
The side arm, has a Crimson Trace laser, with pressure sensitive grip, to help point the way to the target, from the hip if needed.

I want to say this is a satirical post but I’m guessing not since this isn’t GD.

Do you practice drawing from your holster and shooting from the hip with a laser in low light conditions? How does your accuracy compare to well lit and shooting with sights or a red dot?

I want to say this is a satirical post but I’m guessing not since this isn’t GD.

Do you practice drawing from your holster and shooting from the hip with a laser in low light conditions? How does your accuracy compare to well lit and shooting with sights or a red dot?
You might be surprised to hear - Yes. Iron sights vs laser, yield similar results.
What I use - Crimson Trace Laser

The reason I like it;
I've ran into, and been paralleled on a trail in dim light by wolves, when bowhunting, a lot. Even though I carry on the hip, with hand in close proximity, the luxury of time to acquire target with iron sights might not exist. A quick draw point and shoot, is probably all there will be time for. The laser is excellent for this, and my confidence. And yes I practice lighting up a tree or whatever, from time to time as well.

Scorpion

WKR
Interesting, glad that system works for you. I’ve played with lasers some and don’t see much value add for me outside of wearing NOD’s (which I obviously don’t take bow hunting).

Hard to beat a bright weapon light, good headlamp, and night sights or RDO for lowlight shooting at things that bite back.

Don’t want to derail this thread too much, but why would you not want a white light in the event you have to deal with a four legged predator while in the backcountry? I love red and green lights for hiking in/out to protect night vision but I’ve always gravitated to high lumen white lights when grizzlies show up in camp.

Yes. I carry my EDC on my sitka bino harness, and my edc has a TLR7sub on it. It's a decent light for a carry gun, I always have a high candela handheld as well though.

Scorpion

WKR
How many of you are using a weapon mounted light on your backcountry sidearm? I have never carried a pistol with a mounted light, I have just used a hand held flashlight. Are the weapon mounted lights worth the money? Are there any disadvantages I should be aware of?
I think that WML’s definitely have an advantage in many situations. If you’re using a handheld light you will need to get range time in to ensure your grip/form is adequate enough to deliver accurate shots.

I find it more natural to have a WML on a handgun for this scenario. You will want to practice drawing and actuating the light. It’s important to build that muscle memory.

FWIW, I typically do not use a WML for a hunting sidearm because I’ve found that my headlamp on “high” can often accomplish what I’m trying to achieve in regards to illumination. I am reconsidering this setup for elk hunts in the Greater Yellowstone area where there is a high grizzly bear density.

Interesting, glad that system works for you. I’ve played with lasers some and don’t see much value add for me outside of wearing NOD’s (which I obviously don’t take bow hunting).

Hard to beat a bright weapon light, good headlamp, and night sights or RDO for lowlight shooting at things that bite back.

Don’t want to derail this thread too much, but why would you not want a white light in the event you have to deal with a four legged predator while in the backcountry? I love red and green lights for hiking in/out to protect night vision but I’ve always gravitated to high lumen white lights when grizzlies show up in camp.
I do have a light that mounts to the rail. It’s just not practical for me to use.
I wouldn’t walk with a light on for hunting, not very stealthy. Don’t see enough time to flip it on when an emergency arises. Doesn’t fit into holster either.

That CT Laser is money when needed. The dot is east to find, even way farther out than I would ever shoot (100yds or more).

I have been carrying my G17 with an x300 in the woods for a few years now. I have a pressure switch that is used to activate the light. So far it has been the best option for me, I tried shooting under a headlamp and that didn’t work very well, so I‘ll stick with the x300.