Weatherby is circling the toilet bowl

TaperPin

WKR
I'd say Rokslide is a decent representation of where the hunting community will be heading 5 years from now. Or at least a decent chunk of it. At the end of the day the conclusions reached on here regarding big magnums are a pretty logical thing to reach when you get more information. The magnum-mania just thrives on lack of information and as the hunting influencers (as much as people hate them here) are moving to smaller cartridges, people will start to wake up more. An example of that is suppressors.
I think the results on game in actual hunting conditions will influence the movement to larger or smaller calibers.

As a practical matter, many smaller cartridges have so much wind drift, it doesn’t take long before someone misses a shot that their buddy made with a faster larger caliber was able to make. Many of the favorite small cartridges here have twice the wind drift of something like a 6.5 prc or most of the Weatherby line up.

In a windy state like Wyoming, even the antelope hunters will stick with larger rifles just for performance in the wind.

In a windy state like Wyoming, even the antelope hunters will stick with larger rifles just for performance in the wind.
I don't disagree that wind drift is something people are conscious of. But, for instance, I just ordered a 6mm Creedmoor and will be shooting 115 DTACs out of it at about 2975 fps. When comparing it to a 300WM, the 215gr and heavier bullets start to beat it out on wind drift but even then it has less drop than they do. Anything under 215gr or so and it has better drop AND wind drift. I get that external ballistic performance with about 20-30% of the recoil of a 300WM and about the same barrel life. So big bore magnums aren't the only solution.

TaperPin

WKR
I don't disagree that wind drift is something people are conscious of. But, for instance, I just ordered a 6mm Creedmoor and will be shooting 115 DTACs out of it at about 2975 fps. When comparing it to a 300WM, the 215gr and heavier bullets start to beat it out on wind drift but even then it has less drop than they do. Anything under 215gr or so and it has better drop AND wind drift. I get that external ballistic performance with about 20-30% of the recoil of a 300WM and about the same barrel life. So big bore magnums aren't the only solution.
The 6 creed is moving along pretty good.

What is your wind drift @ 600 yards with that combination?

180ls1

WKR
Yea except Weatherby is selling more rifles in std. calibers now than ever before.
As Gerry has stated, doubling growth in the last few years is quite a feat. Has any other gun company done that in the same timeframe ?

Alot of companies would love to "circle the toilet bowl" in the same fashion.
This is a fun thread!

Yeah, a good reminder to get out of your echo chamber. If you only hung out here you would think Weatherby, Leupold and larger calibers are dying. Go to a different board or talk to hunters in general; it couldn't be further from the truth.

The 6 creed is moving along pretty good.

What is your wind drift @ 600 yards with that combination?
Assuming it comes out of the muzzle as fast as Copper Creek says it does, wind drift for a 10mph crosswind is 0.9 MRAD at 600 yards.

TaperPin

WKR
Assuming it comes out of the muzzle as fast as Copper Creek says it does, wind drift for a 10mph crosswind is 0.9 MRAD at 600 yards.
That’s pretty good - it does match up to the 300 really well. It’s almost 50% more than a 7mag or 6.5 PRC, but still pretty good.

That’s pretty good - it does match up to the 300 really well. It’s almost 50% more than a 7mag or 6.5 PRC, but still pretty good.
I ran the numbers for a 6.5PRC loaded with 147gr ELD-M at 2970 fps MV. It has 0.8 MRAD wind drift at 600 so only a 0.1 MRAD difference, not 50%.

A 7RM with a 190gr A-Tip at 2770 MV has 0.7 MRAD wind drift at 600 yards with the same wind, so 0.2 MRAD better. Maybe things are way better with handloads but I'm just calculating factory ammo from the same manufacturer (Copper Creek) that I like to buy ammo from.

TaperPin

WKR
I ran the numbers for a 6.5PRC loaded with 147gr ELD-M at 2970 fps MV. It has 0.8 MRAD wind drift at 600 so only a 0.1 MRAD difference, not 50%.

A 7RM with a 190gr A-Tip at 2770 MV has 0.7 MRAD wind drift at 600 yards with the same wind, so 0.2 MRAD better. Maybe things are way better with handloads but I'm just calculating factory ammo from the same manufacturer (Copper Creek) that I like to buy ammo from.
You’re right - it is less than 50%. Splitting hairs I suppose - any of the fast stepping cartridges from 6mm on up are hard to beat.

Darryle

WKR
Fierce turns out a rifle without rifling, yet Weatherby is circling the drain.

Nosler, no bullets or readily available ammo

Federal, large swaths of product lines unavailable

Christensen, where to start

Remington, can't build a copy of the rifle that made them famous while other companies are turning out refined sub $800 copies of the action

There are a lot of companies that will circle the drain long before Weatherby.

I own exactly 2 Weatherby rifles, both examples built in the late 60s early 70s. They belonged to my uncle and have been carried all over the world.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Great products. Crappy choices for the “influencers” that push said products.

I’d be more inclined to buy one with Adam himself doing all the “selling” or better yet him and a hologram of Roy than the current batch of tools repping the script W right now.

IMHO

I’d be more inclined to buy one with Adam himself doing all the “selling” or better yet him and a hologram of Roy than the current batch of tools repping the script W right now.

IMHO

But Steve, they've doubled in size.

Darryle

WKR

IMHO

If you are buying a product purely based on who pushes it, you are doing your research wrong

Regardless of who, where or what is being pushed.

If you are buying a product purely based on who pushes it, you are doing your research wrong
Not sure about this. If a scope company's public-facing people still believed stupid things about scopes or didn't know how they work, I'd be pretty reluctant to look further into them given the variety of other options.

wyosam

WKR

I can’t think of a less important factor than what someone being paid to talk about that product says. Doesn’t matter what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyosam

WKR

I can’t think of a less important factor than what someone being paid to talk about that product says. Doesn’t matter what it is.

Darryle

WKR

Never said anything about them being paid, there are people who push all sorts of things and have people hang on their every word as the gospel, quit relying on them to "tell" you what you need and get out there and by process of elimination figure out what works for you.

wyosam

WKR
Guess I shouldn’t have mentioned paid either. I don’t really care what anyone uses, I’ll continue to use what works for me. I find that I’m pretty immune to “influencers”, whatever the topic. I always assume when people are pushing something they are being paid (or otherwise gaining) for it, but anymore it seems it’s often done more out of narcissism than for actual gain.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
People are either diehard Weatherby fans, or not.

I am not. I don't like the glossy finish, the awful stock design, or the cartridges. In fact Weatherby represents just about everything I don't like about fuddnomics. It's a representation of institutional inbreeding. It's good because it is....but nobody can articulate why....

But some people love them. Different strokes for different folks I guess.