Weatherby Vanguard vs Howa 1500.....

Thanks in advance and I have searched but cant find the info. I know the Weatherby Vanguard is the Howa 1500. But what, if any, differences between the two? Trigger, quality, stock, customer service, etc and is one worth it vs the other ? Both good and bad. One reason I ask, buddy at work has his grandfathers old Weatherby Vanguard in 243, that literally almost has no rifling left and youd be lucky to hit a barn with it. He wants to hang it on the wall and never hunt with it. Im trying to convince to just re-barrel it, but he doesnt want to because he "dont like messing with stuff" lol so I told him about the Howa's being the same if he wanted to save a few bucks instead of just buying another Weatherby Vanguard, but I dont want to lie to him if there is a difference? If you were choosing between the two, which and why? Thanks again!

nobody

WKR
Mechanically, there’s no difference. They function and feel exactly the same, internally they’re identical, and They come with the same barrels installed. Even the weatherby’s are stamped “Howa Japan” on the side. Only difference is the badging and the stock they come with.

If he has to have the same rifle but new to replace the other, buy the Howa and put a decent stock on it. Heck, he could even buy a weatherby takeoff stock with their awful Monte Carlo cheek piece if he wanted to and he would just have another weatherby to the untrained eye.

Brownells sells Howa 1500 barreled actions, he could buy one of those and pick up a vanguard S2 or 1500 stock that fits the nostalgic look to drop it into. Saves a little bit of $$