Weight Loss - What works for me.

I want to start by saying that I read an incredibly interesting study a few months back regarding the relationship of calorie expenditure and weight loss (I apologize if if this has been discussed here recently). Also I am not a scientist or doctor, so don't take my advice without consulting the same.
I was always a firm believer that the simple laws of physics (caloric intake and expenditure) dictated weight loss in a straight forward manner. The study obviously did not disprove the laws of thermodynamics, but muddied the water as it applies to human fat loss.
The study involved placing a breathing device on African tribesman, that hunt wild game on foot, to determine calorie expenditure. The researchers chose this tribe because the people of the tribe were trim/low body fat/"healthy." The study revealed, surprisingly, that the tribesman were not actually burning significantly more calories, when compared to others members of western civilization. A sister study demonstrated that there was much less correlation between exercise and weight loss. All kinds of theories were derived from the studies. The research team believes that human body will react to exercise in a manner than balances out the calories lost through exercise. In other words, your body will increase your rest and "slow" other bodily processes to avoid fat loss, which honestly makes sense from a evolutionary survival perspective.
Equally interesting was the fact that the majority of calories humans burn are always related to basic bodily functions and the typical exercise session doesn't burn enough calories comparatively to matter. (Which is somewhat obvious.) The researchers theorized that the body will adjust these bodily functions to make up for the calories lost in exercise and subconsciously force us to rest more. The studies did demonstrate that people who lost weight did much better at keeping such weight off if they exercised.
Building off this information and prior experience with exercise and dieting, I realized for me and likely others, fat loss is dictated by diet exclusively. How I have implemented such concept into my lifestyle:

I do not consume calories from 8:00pm until 12:00pm the following day, often it is 6:00pm to 12:00pm. Once I got use to this I was less hungry in late morning and had more energy throughout the day. My usual lunch is deli turkey and black beans. For dinner I eat pretty much anything, but try to avoid processed foods, sugars, etc.
I usually work out at 7pm, but you could do that anytime (morning might be tough with no calories available). I have hurt myself so often through intense weight training that I have changed my perspective over the years. I won't hesitate to work a muscle group on back to back days or 4 days a week. At age 37, I'm not sure I have ever been stronger or had better shoulder joint stability. Obviously, I have drastically decreased volume to be able to hit the same body part so frequently. IMO (which is admittedly uninformed) we give ourselves too much recovery time. I actually use a bowflex, dumbbells, and pull up rings for my workouts. I don't do squats or deadlifts but I'm assuming most people do. Give the audience on this site, you could derive all your leg work from backpacking/intense hikes, but western mountain "training" is not something I am specifically undertaking.
In summary, strict dieting mixed with intermittent fasting and less intense more frequent resistance training has worked wonders for me. This has allowed me to slowly shed weight from 215 down to the mid 180's at 6"1 with a slightly muscular build. If anyone is curious as to any studies or podcasts that inspired my reasoning I could probably locate them.

*zap*

WKR
I am steadily loosing pounds of body fat at age 63 and I eat quite a bit of food after 6pm up thru midnight or sometimes later. I had chicken breast and 4 slices of swiss cheese and a few spoonful's of peanut butter at 2am today. Not only is my body fat % dropping steadily but my strength is increasing steadily and my recovery is faster.

ChrisAU

WKR
When I run out of MTN Ops Ammo I plan on doing the no Calories between 6-8 PM and noon the next day. Just to see what happens. I can say I've gone from 247 last Feb to 208 today by working out and watching what I eat; the only thing that has seen any structure during this is breakfast. I used to be the guy who ate a bacon egg and cheese biscuit (or two) every day, washed down with a soda. Last June I immediately cut that out and went to an egg white delight (home made most days) and water, cutting my breakfast caloric intake by half or much more. I was hungry in the mornings for the first few weeks but then got to where that was plenty. Then a couple months ago I dropped those and went to MTN Ops Ammo meal replacement (only because MTN Ops is cool guy stuff), cutting breakfast calorie intake in half again. Again, I was hungry in the mornings the first few weeks but now I'm fine. I'm sure it will be the same in a few weeks when I go to zero. I am worried about how it will affect my morning workouts though.

aaron34

FNG
I started the intermittent fasting around 2 months ago while also starting to workout in the mornings. It was rough for the first two weeks. I would always look forward to the minute I allowed myself to eat again.

What I found important to get me through my workouts in the morning is sufficient hydration the night before. I have to force myself to drink more water than I think I need, but it works out the next morning. My workouts usually consist of bodyweight exercises like pull-ups, push-ups, burpees, and squats mixed in with a run that is anywhere between 3-5 miles in total. I can not speak to how the fasting will work out with weight training as I have not focused on that.

Another note, I am 20 years old so I am in the most physically productive stage in my life. Doing the fasting and working out in the mornings while still fasting has allowed me to go from 195-180 in the first month and a half with little to no strength loss.

Skins

FNG
Great post/info - have been looking into intermittent fasting for a summer trimming strategy.

*zap*

WKR
A good fitness program that is stuck too = good fitness when combined with a good nutrition program that is stuck too = correct body weight/body fat %. Once your weight starts trending down keep doing what your doing and you will get there....once there keep doing what you did and you will stay there. There is a lot too be said for the combination of patience, persistence and a good plan.

Jardo

WKR
Intermittent fasting has been awesome for me. 43 years old and haven’t been in this good a shape since I was 25.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I started with 8 hour windows, and worked my way down to 2 hour windows. Had to slowly work my way up to that 2 hour window. Ate whatever I wanted during my window, cold beer included and had cheat days on Sundays. So far the loss is about a pound a week.

work765

WKR
Do any of you guys do intermittent fasting and weight train in the morning? My schedule only allows me time to train in the AM. And I’ve been weary about working out hard without anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do any of you guys do intermittent fasting and weight train in the morning? My schedule only allows me time to train in the AM. And I’ve been weary about working out hard without anything

I was doing it and it worked fine for me. I have found that what I was eating was more important than when I was eating. You have to pay real close attention to your electrolytes, depending on your carb intake.

work765

WKR
I was doing it and it worked fine for me. I have found that what I was eating was more important than when I was eating. You have to pay real close attention to your electrolytes, depending on your carb intake.

Not a bad point. I’ve added Liquid IV to water which has electrolyte and other ingredients and it brought me back from the dead on some insane hikes.

Maybe that in the morning when I work out would do the trick.

I just keep hearing all the hype about this fasting. And I feel like giving it a try.

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
I cant attest to the fasting aspect.

Just a thought!
I have worked out in the mornings for most of the last 30 years. I picked it up in the Army. You don't need food or even water. Will being dehydrated give you less energy. In theory yes. Will it train your body and mind to keep going when the going gets tough. YES!
Just to be clear I do sip on water while I'm working out. I would not worry one bit if your workout sags a little bit because of fasting. Steel your mind and tough it out. Eventually your body will adapt.

Good video about the study from a couple years ago

This is hilarious. Human nature is always looking for a way out of hard work. I've heard that walking burns the same amount of calories as running and all sorts of ridiculousness that people say to justify their laziness. Diet and exercise aren't arch nemesis competing against each other. When people start looking for a way to justify not exercising, they'll remain weak unhealthy people even if they stay skinny.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
This is hilarious. Human nature is always looking for a way out of hard work. I've heard that walking burns the same amount of calories as running and all sorts of ridiculousness that people say to justify their laziness. Diet and exercise aren't arch nemesis competing against each other. When people start looking for a way to justify not exercising, they'll remain weak unhealthy people even if they stay skinny.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

(y)

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Just can't buy into to how the fasting is healthy as a daily schedule, especially combined with exercise.

Marines say never stand when you can sit, never sit when you lie down, never lie down, when you can sleep. Moral? Never know when you are going to be on your feet and need that built in rest.

Another mantra: abs are made in the kitchen. Can't out exercise bad eating habits.

I eat a balanced diet, most common meat is chicken, avoid fried and processed foods, practice portion control and eat sweets in moderation. I'm 48, have exercised 3-5 times per week for three decades. I need to eat within an hour of working out for best results. That applies to a hard run or an hour lifting weights.

Best part of my plan is it's sustainable. My whole wheat total and skim milk at breakfast isn't hurting me.

OP
G
I also made an interesting observation in the whitetail woods last winter as I was dragging a deer through the woods, dragging dead weight is an insane full body workout. I've thought about just getting some rope and plates to pull around my yard, but I'm wondering if anyone has a better way to replicate that type of movement?