Weight

So I am wondering what kind of weight you are all carrying on your backpack hunts and how you get to your number? For instance, when you state your pack weight, do you include your gun/bow, trekking poles, clothes you are wearing in etc. I feel like I am on the heavier side with my setup but would rather be safe and comfortable than minimalist. My weights are:
Pack with no food or water 31-34 lbs depending on whether I am running a tent or tarp.
AGC Bino harness w/Binos/rangefinder/ compass/ havalon 4.75lbs
Bow/Arrows/Release etc. 6.8lbs

So before food and water I can be pushing over 45lbs. Does this sound way too high?

Beendare

WKR
Depends on the hunt for me. Season, solo, location- all makes a difference.

A solo early archery Deer hunt [5 days] at 10,000' and I'm at about 36-37#

Spike out on an archery elk hunt in the high mtns after mid sept and I'm at 26# [but thats for a max of 2 nights out]

I might start packing a backup pistol on some of these hunts where I never did before so add a couple pounds to the above.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pack weight varies greatly depending on a few factors, but I never have understood how people justify not including food and water into pack weight.
Because food and water confuses a baseline weight as they are entirely dependant on the length of the trip, whereas gear remains mostly the same. I usually include both weights with qualifiers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jauwater

WKR
My last backpack hunt last year I went in at 63lbs for 3 days/2 nights. That's water, food, bow, everything.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

WKR
Day pack weight for me would be around 15 plus water. I drink alot of water. Poles included, weapon not.
That's kill kit (with p cord & tarp for laying out meat but it also for emergency bivy), jetboil, a couple mountain house, other snacks I'm actually going to eat, jacket, possibles (10 essentials).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ChukarUp

FNG
My base is 20.3 lbs.

4 days of food/water adds 22.1 lbs

Rifle, ammo, binocs adds 9 lbs

Grand total is 51.4 lbs, dropping about 5.6 lbs per day in food/water.

***Numbers above do not include my spotter, which might be standard on every trip for some people. That would add 3.0 lbs to my base. I only carry it on shorter trips, or if I have a 100% confirmed water source where I will be hunting, and I can save weight with less water in my pack from the start.

Last edited:
22 pounds for a three day bivy scouting trip or hunt during warmer months in Colorado, June to mid-September. Includes three full days of food and a liter of water.

Add 10 pounds for September hunts including Swaro 8x32s, Knight Ultra-Lite muzzleloader, few extra bullets, powder, tools, and kill kit (Havalon, B.O.M.B. Tag Bags, etc.).

However, I don't really consider the weapon to be part of my "backpack," so I'm under 30 pounds for a bivy hunt.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Under 30% of your bodyweight is ideal when not hunting. For me that is about 48 pounds. I can hit that for maybe 4 days with good water sources and I'm not a big guy so my food is a little less and my clothes are smaller and lighter. I also don't carry a spotter or tripod. If my partner and I could share a tent that would help. We still bring two stoves also, I guess thats fear of equipment failure.

I can't seem to cut much more. If I do then some luxury item finds its way in.

I have learned a low pack volume helps vs weight savings. It rides better and leaves more meat spacs. For example when not hunting my pad is a big foam roll but trimmed to 6.3 ounces. My inflatable when hunting is 14 ounces but packs smaller than a nalgene bottle.

16Bore

WKR
Weigh every item you have individually and make a spreadsheet. Makes it easy to pack/unpack/weigh without spending 1/2 day in the garage. Unless you just want to.

Really helps to see where the bulk is and where you can shave weight.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You can use the GearZoo app to make a list of what you have, take, and it gives you a total for weight. Pretty handy.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can use the GearZoo app to make a list of what you have, take, and it gives you a total for weight. Pretty handy.
Thanks, I'm spreadsheet challenged. That app is handy.

I tried to cut my pack weight last season to be at or near 60 pounds. With my muzzle loader and enough water to survive. I was right at 70 pounds. I used everything I took with me.

In my defense, I sleet in a UL3 tent because I like my space and I wasn't splitting weight of tent with anyone. And my pack was pretty heavy just empty.(Thats going to change in the future)

If I just had 4 goats...I would really be dangerous. lol

TJ

WKR
I your looking for a spread sheet you may try gear grams, it's free and also has an app.
With it you can create multiple lists, it's pretty handy and easy to use.

GearGrams