Welding Tikka Recoil Lug?

Vandy321

WKR
Not to detract from the welder pissing match, but...

OP, your aftermarket Mtn Tac lug is also wider than the factory, it won't budge once you get it in there and bed it.

Plenty of folks have bedded a Tikka like that and you can find hundreds of posts of bedded tikkas with aftermarket lugs shooting sub 1/2 moa all day.

OP
R
So I am starting to get the feeling that it’s not such a great idea. 😂

In all seriousness, I appreciate the advice, the key information I was missing is that the actions were heat treated. It make total sense that they would be, but never occurred to me. The mountain tactical lug is in the mail, so I will just stick with bedding that into the stock. Thanks again for the advice.

Wrench

WKR
Should this come up again....and it will, welding has the potential to pull the lug out of square and in the event you bed the action with a lug that is not square....you have the making of a really fun time getting the action out.

This coming from a guy who made a lot of money welding and machining.

gbflyer

WKR
I saw a welded Tikka picture in a post awhile back and cringed. Savagery! If a person is worried about the factory lug, Loctite makes some fantastic products. Or machine the action face and use a recoil lug. Several places make them.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I had a gunsmith do this to a tikka 7 mag I had back when the t3 first came out. He just did a couple small tac welds. That gun shot phenomenally well. Kicked like a dirty mule though. I don't think you'd want to lay a bead across it but small tacs aren't going to hurt it.

Antares

WKR
I think if Tikka wanted it like that, they'd do it at the factory. They build shooters. People like to fuss, worry, and upgrade, but the lug design doesn't usually come up as something people lose sleep over.