Well, guess I need a crossbow….

Well boys, I’ve torn my labrum, tweaked my rotator cuff, and developed a big old bone spur in my shoulder joint. I’ve gotta buy a crossbow. My favorite, handy-dandy, orthopedic surgeon said there’s nothing he could do to fix me up. Looking at a ravin r10 that an acquaintance has for sale. Wants a grand. It’s been shot 10 times. Should I buy that, a new ravin, or a mission?

I know zero about these contraptions -well, we have a cheapie that my daughters hunt with, but guess I need guidance on nicer rigs.

Fullfan

WKR
Ravens are tack drivers but require Maintenace. Strings and cables should be changes every year. Cams have timing dots on them, if your cables are outside the dots, time for a change. Center serving along w cable ends require a special fluid, be it ravens own or the Scorpion venom. Not much to them, shoot white feather down. Raven bolts take a special nock and bushing, both can be bought readily. Many other better bolts are also available.

Being able to uncock the bow is also nice.

Bigolmuley

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot your bow with a mouth tab if you still want a bow. I have for 7 years now. Of course my state really won’t allow crossbows. And I only have one arm that works, so a crossbow is a tough go for me anyway.
But in all my research I would go with the tenpoint nitro. Unreal. The cocking mechanism is so smooth and won’t chop your hand off. But the price $$$$…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
I would call Dorge at Firenock and ask him what to purchase. He will be happy to discuss this with you. From the little I know the bolt is a much more precarious piece of equipment than the actual crossbow.

Killer Instinct makes an affordable one that’ll whack em. Buddy has a crop damage deal and stacks them high. I got one for the kids (who can’t yet pull a 45 lb draw) and my 8 year old whacked a doe with it. She bled like a stuck pig. The scopes are garbage tho so be prepared to do something there. Rage broadheads. Good luck.

sacklunch

WKR
You could rehab the tear and be back to shooting a lighter poundage bow again by Sept....depending on the severity that is. But I've never heard an ortho say he can't address a tear. I'd find a 2nd opinion maybe.

Sounds alot better than buying a crossbow.

CRBTBB711

FNG
Not to hijack the thread, but if you still really want to stick to compound/traditional archery, you could go get a second opinion from a different surgeon. Only saying this, because I work in healthcare. If you were OK with making the switch to Crossbow, then forget, I said anything.

NB7

WKR
Not to hijack the thread, but if you still really want to stick to compound/traditional archery, you could go get a second opinion from a different surgeon. Only saying this, because I work in healthcare. If you were OK with making the switch to Crossbow, then forget, I said anything.
I'd strongly suggest this also. Worst you could hear in a 2nd opinion is the same thing you're already being told.
At 6 yo, my daughter's former cardiac surgeon advised the surgery she needed would require artificial pieces and would likely have poor outcomes. A 2nd opinion found a surgeon that had an entirely different outlook and made the repair without artificial pieces or a poor outcome. Best move we ever made.
Always get the 2nd opinion...you never know.
Now, if you want to shoot a crossbow, then go for it.

Mathews has holes in the cams that surve the same purpose.

Ok, I'll stop getting off topic.
Holy crap! Somehow I missed that! Or forgot it. I had to go and look up where they were on my VXR. I knew how to recognize it on a SXT, but that wasn’t hole’s specifically for a tune check.

Back to Xbows….

Stalker69

WKR
I tore mine as well, and also had a bone spur. My ortho relocated my muscle and some what cleaned up the spur. Still not pain free, but wayyyyyyyy better then it was.

Curmudgeon

Lil-Rokslider
My right shoulder (dominant side) had a torn bicep that had to be reattached, torn rotator cuff, and bone spurs. Ortho fixed me up and after getting serious about rehab I was on the road to recovery but couldn't shoot my bow yet. I found a Wicked Ridge 400 on sale at Cabelas and used it that fall and it performed perfectly for what I needed. Next season I was back to my compound but draw weight was turned down some but no shoulder problems at all. I guess I'm agreeing with CRBTBB711 on the second opinion route and not giving up on what your bowhunting with now. Just an opinion and we all know how cheap those are😎

Curmudgeon

Lil-Rokslider
Well boys, I’ve torn my labrum, tweaked my rotator cuff, and developed a big old bone spur in my shoulder joint. I’ve gotta buy a crossbow. My favorite, handy-dandy, orthopedic surgeon said there’s nothing he could do to fix me up. Looking at a ravin r10 that an acquaintance has for sale. Wants a grand. It’s been shot 10 times. Should I buy that, a new ravin, or a mission?

I know zero about these contraptions -well, we have a cheapie that my daughters hunt with, but guess I need guidance on nicer rigs.
Don't know if you're still thinking about a crossbow but MidwayUSA started a sale today on the Wicked Ridge RDX 400. $200 off the regular price and comes with a scope. That's a heck of a deal if you're still leaning towards a crossbow.