West Side of Cascades Elk Hunt

Anybody have any experience hunting elk on the western side of the cascades? More concerned about the bug issue and what I should expect come first of september. Got a buddy who lives out there and says the bugs are there when he scouts, just debating on getting a bivy to go with my supertarp to not have to deal with them while I sleep.

mtbshark

WKR
oh buddy they can be pretty bad at times, really just depends on the weather.
for this reason alone i still cant manage to get away from the 1-2 man lightweight tent.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I was up in there this weekend with the paratarp. Bivy was a must. Not sure how it will be come September though.

OR Archer

WKR
what part of the cascades? OR or WA? Elevation will be a big factor on the amount of bugs you run into. Id still take some sort of bug netting.

I was just at 7k' last night in the cascades and bugs were non existent. But this was definitely east side with zero elk in the vicinity... most places are dependent on elevation and temps. Soon as you get a good frost they'll be a non issue.

phantom16

FNG
Are you guys kidding me, LOL... The skeetos and the tiny black gnats will eat your face off in the early season in WA on the W side of the Cascades in "most" years. They will absolutely ruin a hunt if you don't have your body covered with a facemask, long sleeved shirts.... even gloves. I'm not a smart guy on the tarp thing but if you can shore up the low, entry points, you should be fine for night time. I've hunted here off and on for close to 25 years and have never seen a SEP hunt void of these voracious, blood sucking pests. Just my thoughts... RJ

Are you guys kidding me, LOL... The skeetos and the tiny black gnats will eat your face off in the early season in WA on the W side of the Cascades in "most" years. They will absolutely ruin a hunt if you don't have your body covered with a facemask, long sleeved shirts.... even gloves. I'm not a smart guy on the tarp thing but if you can shore up the low, entry points, you should be fine for night time. I've hunted here off and on for close to 25 years and have never seen a SEP hunt void of these voracious, blood sucking pests. Just my thoughts... RJ
I agree if you are hunting the lowlands, but up high there has usually been a good freeze by the middle of Sept.

phantom16

FNG
If you need an elevation check, I normally hunt at 5000 to 6000 feet in the early season in WA state. For the past two years, I've hunted the early season in WA and the middle to end of SEP in either MT or ID. The bloodsuckers in WA outnumbered the other state's bugs by a huge margin. The WA bug's are also affected by a late snow melt. Just saying ;). RJ

They are bad up until the first few hard freezes. We haven't had much of a freeze yet. I expect them to present the first week of the season.

OP
ohhiitznik
We will be in the WA cascades western side. I'm taking a bug net for inside my supertarp. And I'll be bringing a facemask along with gloves. Thanks for the heads up guys.