Western hunting rifle: Seekins Element?

Mr2143

FNG
Lord willing, I’ll be doing my first western hunt this coming fall. I don’t have a rifle that exactly fits the bill for an elk hunt, so I’ll be buying one in the near future. I’m very much leaning towards a .300 win mag. I’m looking at either a Seekins Havak in a 26” barrel (7lbs) or a Seekins Element in 22” barrel (6lbs). There certainly seems to pros and cons to each one: muzzle velocity vs maneuverability, light weight carry versus difficult shooting a lighter weight rifle, etc. Is 22 inches too short for a .300 win mag? Is it very difficult to accurately shoot a lightweight .300 win mag? There is the option of then going suppressed which may be a good idea.

I would really like to hear the opinions of those with any personal experience. Thank you for reading and responding.

A lightweight 300wm is too much recoil for me. I know my limitations 😂 I'll be carrying an element for elk and deer this fall but it's a 6.5cm. Keep in mind with velocity that muzzle velocity isn't impact velocity. Play around with jbm, or any calculator, to look at different bullets and what they are doing at the distances you are able to shoot. This weekend I'll be putting 50 rounds through the element mentioned above, and another 100 through the 223/223ai. I have a 338wm that hasn't left the house in prolly 6 or 8 years 😂 I just have no desire to shoot it and it sure isn't needed.

Here's a good thread with lots of info on the same thing you are asking. Good luck!!!

mt100gr.

WKR
Lord willing, I’ll be doing my first western hunt this coming fall. I don’t have a rifle that exactly fits the bill for an elk hunt, so I’ll be buying one in the near future. I’m very much leaning towards a .300 win mag. I’m looking at either a Seekins Havak in a 26” barrel (7lbs) or a Seekins Element in 22” barrel (6lbs). There certainly seems to pros and cons to each one: muzzle velocity vs maneuverability, light weight carry versus difficult shooting a lighter weight rifle, etc. Is 22 inches too short for a .300 win mag? Is it very difficult to accurately shoot a lightweight .300 win mag? There is the option of then going suppressed which may be a good idea.

I would really like to hear the opinions of those with any personal experience. Thank you for reading and responding.
What rifle(s) do you already own? Have you ever shot a 6lb 300 win mag? Do you already have a suppressor?

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I’d lean PH2 for no suppressor and element if you’re going to suppress for 300 WM. Carrying the extra weight of the PH2 is not going to be big deal and you can make that up with your other gear. It might get long if you put a suppressor on it though. If you’re going to backpack in a whole bunch of miles then maybe that’s different but any type of base camp or day trip the difference in weight doesn’t matter and it will be more comfortable to shoot

BigSky

WKR
I have no disagreement with anything anybody else has posted so far. My recommendation is that if one wants to shoot a) a .308 caliber bullet in b) a lightweight rifle, then get a 308 Winchester. As long as one knows his ballistics, he will be able to do with a 308 Winchester whatever it is he wishes to do with a 300 Winchester Magnum, with very few exceptions. I'll let someone else feel free to address those exceptions. Good luck in your quest.

Last edited:

Tberg

Lil-Rokslider
300wm is one of my favorite cartridges, awesome for long range hunting. I haven't seen a lot of 300wm ammo on the shelves lately tho, maybe it's different where you are. So unless you're a reloader; buy what you find ammo for. That's the reality we're in right now. But if you can get 5-6 boxes of good 300wm ammo...buy the PH2! You can always put a brake on it.

Last edited:

My experience has always been that suppressing anything is a better proposition than not… that said, I’m considering the Seekins Element in 6.5cm and curious if putting a suppressor on the end will greatly alter the balance of the rifle given the lightweight. Anyone have any experience? I use a SiCo Chimera currently on an insanely heavy Savage, so not sure what to expect putting the van on a light rifle.

drra

FNG
I couldn't agree more with the suppressing and a high quality recoil pad. I have a light weight 416 remington suppressed with recoil pad and it is tolerable at under 7 pounds (grizzly mountain hunt).