Western Mountaineering or Stone Glacier Bag?

Hello, fellow Roksliders

So I am currently building my gear collection to go hunting this fall and have been buried in research on sleep systems lately. I have narrowed down my two top choices to an SG Chilkoot 15º or a WM Badger 15º. I will be going primarily in September - early October for the first few years and probably starting in Colorado or Idaho this fall.

I have been able to read multiple reviews from you all on WM so understand their quality, but I am really curious about and kind of leaning towards SG bag. I would like to hear more about the SG Chilkoot from those of you who have used it. Any comparisons between the two that put one over the other that I may be missing?

I appreciate the thoughts from yall in advance.

@robby denning has had time in both even though he didn't do a direct head to head comparison he has done reviews on both.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I have seen his reviews they played a key role to arrive at the decision point I am at currently. I am more curious about what the apples to apples comparison is between the bags is. If there will potentially be any long term issues with SG vs WM.

Yeah, I have seen his reviews they played a key role to arrive at the decision point I am at currently. I am more curious about what the apples to apples comparison is between the bags is. If there will potentially be any long term issues with SG vs WM.
The WM is the gold standard in sleeping bags. The Stone glacier has only been out one season? So it's tough to do a long term durability comparison between the two.

The WM is the gold standard in sleeping bags. The Stone glacier has only been out one season? So it's tough to do a long term durability comparison between the two.

Tracking that for sure, I actually just found some good information deep in another thread that might be answering most of my questions. It's so tough to decide between products though haha. Maybe I just get one for me and the other for the wife...

If you do be sure to do a head to head comparison.

I would love to but I'm pretty sure our weather in Texas won't really pertain to a lot of folks. It would take a few years for me to get as much field use out of even just one of the bags.

@robby denning which bag did you find more comfortable for guys our build? I think we are pretty similar in size from reading another post of yours. I am 5'8" 182 lbs athletic build.

I chose a Badger last year when I decided to really upgrade some older gear. So far I love it but I only have ~ 25 nights in it so far, I’ve found it to be very comfortable, and warm, the shell of it also does a great job at telling water. One night during moose season I slept under sort of a lean too sort of thing and there was a hole in it where a bear had messed it up, I didn’t see the hole, all night while I slept, rain dropped through and was landing about a foot away from me splashing the bag. I was completely dry inside.

All that being said, id have no problem with the SG bag, they are an awesome company and all the stuff I’ve had from them has been excellent in fact I’m going to order another bag from them and possibly their tent as well.

I went through this same decision. I read every review, watched every video, and PMd a lot of members on here. After basically calling it a coin flip I went with SG just for the fact of buying from such an openly hunting supportive company (not saying WM isn’t I don’t know).

I was worried about the size bc I’m bigger than everyone that I talked to that had the SG but it’s damn near perfect in fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back