Western Mountaineering - Where to buy

Wapiti16

FNG
Planning to get a new WM bag. Been looking around the web, but it seems most big retailers don’t give discounts for WM bags like they do for other products. Is there anywhere that gives a RokSlide discount? Or any dealers y’all recommend contacting? I’d prefer to support a retailer that supports hunters but I also want to save some cash if possible.

Last edited:

JoshTX

WKR
There are a couple of members that are WM dealers. Hopefully they will be along shortly...

As far as sales or discounts..I bought my first WM bag in 1992 and I have yet to see them on sale, anywhere, ever.

OP
W

Wapiti16

FNG
There are a couple of members that are WM dealers. Hopefully they will be along shortly...

As far as sales or discounts..I bought my first WM bag in 1992 and I have yet to see them on sale, anywhere, ever.

Well, I’d love to go through somebody on this site to purchase. But it’s a big purchase so I’d also like to save some cash if I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a Alpinlite from Bean Outdoors a few months ago. It was cheaper than anywhere else. Great company to deal with!

Just shoot them a PM

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
W

Wapiti16

FNG
While I’ve got y’all here, I’m trying to decide between the WM Alpinlite and WM Badger. Specs are similar. Badger has a little more room and weighs a few ounces more. I’m definitely leaning toward the Badger. Looks like the Apache might be a good option too. Thoughts?

Last edited:

mlgc20

WKR
Bean Outdoors is a Rokslide sponsor and generally has great prices. Check them out.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
The Badger does weigh more than the Alpinlite but it also has an additional four ounces of down and more baffle height (6" vs 5.5") and therefore be warmer.
The Apache is much more narrow than the other two.

CO-AJ

WKR
Bought my Versalite from Hermit's Hut. Above post is correct they overstuff w/ 3 extra oz of down. Very easy to deal with.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I got mine from bean outdoors, they are a forum sponsor I believe. He gave me a solid deal.

I never understood the hermits hit thing, I selected my. Ah based on the specs including the temperature rating, why choose it then have it changed?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Badger is a bit nicer more breathable and more water repellant , alpenlite is lighter . It depends on what you value more .

Overfill is not needed on WM bags and is just unnecessary added weight IMO

Seek Outside is also a WM dealer and we stock the badger , Kodiak and terralite

We stick the terms of the WM dealer agreement which is no discounting . The only discount you get is a code for 5 percent off a future SO purchase

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Badger is a bit nicer more breathable and more water repellant , alpenlite is lighter . It depends on what you value more .

Overfill is not needed on WM bags and is just unnecessary added weight IMO

Seek Outside is also a WM dealer and we stock the badger , Kodiak and terralite

We stick the terms of the WM dealer agreement which is no discounting . The only discount you get is a code for 5 percent off a future SO purchase

The WM bags are a continuous baffle bag. Been using their bags since the late 90s and disagree on your overfill comment.

They leave extra room in the bags for overfill, it does help a bit with the temp rating but the main reason is to allow you to physically move more down to the places you need it most. I’m a side/stomach sleeper and always end up needing more down around my core and butt/hips. With the extra down in there it makes it easy to move the down to where I need it without sacrificing in other areas. It makes for a more versatile and more comfortable bag all around for the temp rating.

“Added weight” in adding the extra down isn’t even noticeable.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
“Overfill is not needed on WM bags and is just unnecessary added weight IMO”

The overfill doesn’t necessarily increase temperature rating but does help prevent down shifting and cold spots....especially as a side sleeper.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The WM bags are a continuous baffle bag. Been using their bags since the late 90s and disagree on your overfill comment.

They leave extra room in the bags for overfill, it does help a bit with the temp rating but the main reason is to allow you to physically move more down to the places you need it most. I’m a side/stomach sleeper and always end up needing more down around my core and butt/hips. With the extra down in there it makes it easy to move the down to where I need it without sacrificing in other areas. It makes for a more versatile and more comfortable bag all around for the temp rating.

“Added weight” in adding the extra down isn’t even noticeable.
We can agree to disagree. I know , on recent bags it has not been noticeable. Perhaps they have changed how they do it , but the bags are naturally overfilled based on how they calculate the down.

boom

WKR
i searched high and low for a store with a "storewide" sale. i happened to be in Portland OR at the time and jumped on the purchase. no sales tax was the clincher.

i need to get back up there to find a Badger.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
We can agree to disagree. I know , on recent bags it has not been noticeable. Perhaps they have changed how they do it , but the bags are naturally overfilled based on how they calculate the down.

Yep always disagreements when it comes to sleep systems. It’s such a personal preference thing trying to get the right level of comfort and warmth.

They sure make a great bag at WM. I live about 40 minutes from their facility in San Jose and have been there a few times over the years to check out what’s going on with them. Awesome group of folks there.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have a GWS Badger with overfill and a GWS without overfill. Can't say its noticeable.

being a cold sleeper the overfill makes me feel better. doubt its doin all that much though but it was free with the purchase of the bag where i got it from so why not.