What are your thoughts on the Kung Flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
I think people are afraid they they may not be in control of their destiny, guess what....they are not. Take reasonable precautions and move on.....do not close down the country and hit the economy hard because 60 people died form something in a country of 330 million......it is absurd.

tdot

WKR
France and Spain are right behind Italy. They are just starting to be overwhelmed. Something like 50% of the hospitalizations are under 60 years old.

If a country or atleast an area can get ahead of this the death rate may stay low. As hospitals and care givers can respond. Then we can piss and moan about the over reaction.

The best defense is a strong offense.

If the hospitals get overrun, the death rate will spike.
If we start losing nurses and doctors cuz they're getting sick and dieing, it'll spiral down quick.

I know of one 34 year old patient who is on a machine that actually pulls the blood from his body and oxygenates it. His lungs are not functioning. He would be dead otherwise. Not many hospitals have that machine. I know of 2 other patients under 60 who are currently on respirators. They were all healthy a week ago, and only showed minor symptoms in the last couple of days. Docs have zero idea if any of them will survive.

We know several Euopean docs, and there is quite alot of interesting news coming from their friends who are treating patients in France and Spain. Lots of shared knowledge. There are some positives to the information age. It's like Rokslide, but for Doctors dealing with Covid19.

tdot

WKR
The Spanish Flu had a death rate of 2%. Blood letting, leaches and lobotomies werent uncommon forms of medicine at that time. Penicillin hadn't been discovered yet.

If we struggle to hold CV19 at 1% with modern medicine, just imagine how bad it could be if we didn't have the hospitals, staff and medicines that we do now.

EastMT

WKR
20b6d2e68de69180f01c3c3add1d7a3b.jpg

Dang, well that’s gonna put a bump in a lot of people’s lives

Baddog

WKR
I just got notice an hour ago that the daycare we go to is closed tomorrow and they expect us to pay in full for two weeks while the kids are at home with whoever we have to pay to watch them. Steamed is an understatement, I’m seeing red. They expect to pay for the two weeks they were out plus the first week back on Monday two weeks from tomorrow. Contract states snow days and holidays are the only days where the kids don’t go and we have to pay. I heard from one of the teachers she didn’t want to pay unemployment for two weeks so stuck it on us
What if you don’t pay and they go broke? I’m sure rent, utilities,taxes etc.. aren’t stopping. Shitty spot for everyone really.

jmez

WKR
What if you don’t pay and they go broke? I’m sure rent, utilities,taxes etc.. aren’t stopping. Shitty spot for everyone really.

Most day cares in the cities have over a 1 year waiting list. If you didn't pay someone would and your spot would be gone in minutes.

EastMT

WKR
Who cares. We have to spread the curve out! The economic fall out these decisions will be far worse then anything the virus could do.

Well I’m just glad we have the top health and pandemic experts here. I think I’ll go play in the meme section awhile, you can keep spewing your expert knowledge from all the pandemics you’ve lived through. I’ll do what I can to not pass it to the venerable. Maybe you should go visit some old folks home, that’ll steepen the curve. Just get it over with, all at once.

The Spanish Flu had a death rate of 2%. Blood letting, leaches and lobotomies werent uncommon forms of medicine at that time. Penicillin hadn't been discovered yet.

If we struggle to hold CV19 at 1% with modern medicine, just imagine how bad it could be if we didn't have the hospitals, staff and medicines that we do now.

The death rate would be even lower. All the people that die from this would've never lived long enough to see the virus in the first place.

And the Spanish Flu was way different. It killed primarily 20-40 year olds and not just the people that are already dying. No one apparently knows that though.

tdot

WKR
Since we are playing numbers games.

Currently everyone is afraid of the unknown.

Maybe this is all bullshit and there is no need to panic (I'm still confused why people are panicking, but anyways). Let's say the death rate is below 1%. Let's say the infection rate is 10% in the first year.
350,000,000 Americans ×10%×1% = 350,000 dead people. Businesses were closed for 8 weeks before we realized that 350,000 people were acceptable losses in the first year. The economy was buggered for 8 weeks, but we'll get over it.

Woah, awesome, we can all breath a sigh of relief.

Now let's just say we do nothing. Dont close things down, but oops, this turns out to be similar to what those over educated people in white coats suggested it might be. Let's bump the death rate to 2%. Thats 700,000 dead. People will be scared and angry. Now we're moving into longer term problems because of that fear and anger. That's not good for the economy.

Now what if the infection rate also exploded to 25%, and the death rate stays at 2%. Now we are talking 1.75 million bodies. They will have to burn them there will be so many. People will be terrified, they wont leave their homes. No one will be going to the bar or restaurant. That will tank the economy for a long time. That will change how people live for years.

But here is the kick in the nuts. If we hammer the healthcare system with that many people, the death rate could easily climb. Let's say we keep it to 3%. Now it's 2.6 million people. Dead. That's still assuming a 25% infection rate.

Now people aren't afraid of the unknown, they are completely terrified, out of their minds scared of leaving the house. Never mind the economy, governments will burn for that. It'll take decades to recover.

I keep seeing the numbers in China being quoted as it's leveling off. Its getting better. You also need to look at what they are doing to keep those numbers in check.

tdot

WKR
The death rate would be even lower. All the people that die from this would've never lived long enough to see the virus in the first place.

And the Spanish Flu was way different. It killed primarily 20-40 year olds and not just the people that are already dying. No one apparently knows that though.

News flash, the only thing in common we all have in this life is that we are all dieing. Everyday we are closer to the last one.

The Spanish flu also hammered pregnant women. It was all due to an auto immune response. Quite horrible apparently. It was a strain of H1N1 as I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.