What Arrow Puller

Bought a new rinehart block and between 6 guys, we could not pull an arrow out of it (it was cold and I didnt use lube). I had to make a couple of slices around my arrows to extract them from the target. Should i look for a specific arrow puller? I found three after googling for a bit (arojac, double D, and tenpoint bednar), but am hesitant to pull the trigger on them because they're either expensive or don't have great reviews. What do you recommend? Or should I return the target and go with another block?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Return a used target after you've "sliced it up" to get arrows out? I've had a Rinehart 18-1 and currently have a Rhinoblock that I've had for several years now. I only use it in elk camp.

Ya, in the cold those targets and 3D's can really hang onto an arrow, but I've never not been able to get them out. I just lay the target flat with the arrows sticking up, put a foot on it and grab the arrow and pull using my legs. I have always used those thin rubber like jar opener thingies.

OP
isItFallYet
Return a used target after you've "sliced it up" to get arrows out? I've had a Rinehart 18-1 and currently have a Rhinoblock that I've had for several years now. I only use it in elk camp.

Ya, in the cold those targets and 3D's can really hang onto an arrow, but I've never not been able to get them out. I just lay the target flat with the arrows sticking up, put a foot on it and grab the arrow and pull using my legs. I have always used those thin rubber like jar opener thingies.

Yeah, evidently I can still return it. The slices were small and resemble a broad head. I've used other rinehart blocks, but this one is a much larger pain. There are a lot of internet reviews that state the same. I felt pretty weak after standing on it and attempting to get an arrow out several times. After all of the guys at my local archery shop attempted to do do the same as well, and one gentleman started offering $100 to get the arrow out to the new folks walking it, I started to feel less emasculated.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
After all of the guys at my local archery shop attempted to do do the same as well, and one gentleman started offering $100 to get the arrow out to the new folks walking it, I started to feel less emasculated.

I'd take that $100. For $100 I can generate some serious strength and adrenaline. As long as I can grip the arrow, it's coming out. My Blob was like that when it was new. BH's......not a problem, but FP's buried 8+ inches.......I'd have to stand on the target, grip the arrow, and pull straight up using my legs.

I shoot a heavy bow and own 3 rinehart targets. I have the same issue. They grab arrows and leave bit I foam on the shafts. Sometime have to stand on the block and haul them out. I need to investigate the lube thing. In the meantime, I remove those bits of phone with a dish sponge to keep the shafts smooth.

I have been playing with some smaller diameter arrows and they pull very easily compared to my current maxima reds.

I tried a few arrow pullers and settled on these:

$6 each. Buy a few. I use a pair of them. One in each hand. Brace and pull as straight out as you can. I still stand on the block a lot. Also get the brightest ugliest colors. Harder to lose.

mrgreen

WKR
I've been using the Double D Magnum puller for years. Works great and reduces the chance of bending the arrow shaft.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use the Double D puller. I have Rinehart, Matrix, and Blob targets and it's a must for the Blob.

bignocks

FNG
Easy pull field points have been a lifesaver for me. Cabelas has a bunch of different sizes. The tips are slightly wider than the shaft but then taper down.

LostArra

WKR
Tire dressing wiped on arrow shaft helps a lot but the Rinehart 18-1 foam is much better than Rinehart's block foam for pulling arrows. I don't shoot my compound into the block any longer, only recurve on occasion and it can still be a struggle to remove arrows. Sure, you can move the block on it's side and dead lift the arrow out but how much fun is that when the 18-1 is usually a one-hand pull?

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone mentions the arrow lube and the rubber grip-things and, I use them too. But, no one has mentioned the simplest method yet, that seems to work on 90% of the targets we shoot. Get a grip on the arrow shaft and simply twist it clockwise, as if tightening the shaft onto the field point. This breaks the initial stickiness of the foam where it melted to your shaft and the arrow easily slides back out. We shoot enough 3D shoots over the winter and summer and found this works, 90% of the time. Give this a try as well.

OP
isItFallYet
Everyone mentions the arrow lube and the rubber grip-things and, I use them too. But, no one has mentioned the simplest method yet, that seems to work on 90% of the targets we shoot. Get a grip on the arrow shaft and simply twist it clockwise, as if tightening the shaft onto the field point. This breaks the initial stickiness of the foam where it melted to your shaft and the arrow easily slides back out. We shoot enough 3D shoots over the winter and summer and found this works, 90% of the time. Give this a try as well.

That doesn’t work with my new rinehart. I just ordered a Double D, I’ll post a review when it gets here.

fwafwow

WKR
unscented soap on the arrow shaft does the trick for me
I tried the soap and it helped, but not much (probably because it was scented - tfic). Also tried Scorpion wax - made the arrows penetrate the Matrix more (from 8" to 10"). Going with a puller.

Some guys on practice range at the TAC couple of weeks ago were struggling to get some arrows out. I walked up with my DD archery puller. No problem whatsoever .
I have had it less than a year, but sure wish I would have got one long ago. If using field points, those easy pull kind are a gamechanger also.

Attachments

• 20200803_210741.jpg
    20200803_210741.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 48

ncavi8tor

WKR
Some guys on practice range at the TAC couple of weeks ago were struggling to get some arrows out. I walked up with my DD archery puller. No problem whatsoever .
I have had it less than a year, but sure wish I would have got one long ago. If using field points, those easy pull kind are a gamechanger also.
Yes! Best puller I have ever used.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

bat-cave

WKR
My .02 .. lubing up shafts of carbon arrows makes a world of difference! I have used the Arrowjac and it does work, but it can still be challenging and IMHO isn't worth the $$. For something affordable and portable, I will second the DD Arrow puller. But again, lube your arrows and your life will be much easier. At the Mtn Archery Fest a few weeks back I found that the Kirsch targets they were using were really tough to retrieve arrows from and a bit of lube was enough to remove everything by hand (albeit still with effort) and no need to lay down targets / stand on them etc ... (Yes, I have resorted to all of the above in the past).

XJGPN

FNG
Get a grip on the arrow shaft and simply twist it clockwise, as if tightening the shaft onto the field point.
You aren't really supposed to twist CF shafts like that as it can damage them.

I’m almost embarrassed to admit it because it gets a lot of crap on the boards, but I have a Hamskea AroJac and it works awesome. At my club we have some old weathered 3D targets that really grab onto the arrow tight. My first time shooting there and I literally thought I was going to have to leave my arrows there because for the life of me I couldn’t get the arrows out. Eventually I managed... but I figured that if it both saved my arrows, and prevented damage by pulling them out straight rather than with a twisting motion, then over the years it would pay for itself. I honestly have not regretted the purchase once and long ago forgot how much I spent on it.