What call to use for later season spring bear?

atorres

FNG
Going spring bear in 3 weeks, Idaho. Hunting into mid June. Do y'all prefer rabbit, fawn, calf or cub distress? Would cub be more likely to fetch sows? I already have a mouth cow call and all I'd have to do is practice making calf noises with that.

Thanks y'all

sneaky

"DADDY"
In grizz areas, an electronic call...a long way from where you're sitting. Also, for bears you have to keep calling or they'll lose interest. You'll get lightheaded from blowing a mouth call that much.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
atorres

atorres

FNG
In grizz areas, an electronic call...a long way from where you're sitting. Also, for bears you have to keep calling or they'll lose interest. You'll get lightheaded from blowing a mouth call that much.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I see. We're bivying several days at a time so I won't be able to bring my electronic. Might be worth it to run it from nearer the truck on inbetween days.

And no grizz where we are.

I used a foxpro elk calf distress to call in the one i got last year, but i wasnt in the backcountry. Tough one cause whenever i have brought the foxpro backpacking i of course never call in a bear lol. But i can attest, trying to use a mouth call is quite tiring after a while so its almost worth it to me to just keep bringing the foxpro if i have a partner to share gear weight

OP
atorres

atorres

FNG
I used a foxpro elk calf distress to call in the one i got last year, but i wasnt in the backcountry. Tough one cause whenever i have brought the foxpro backpacking i of course never call in a bear lol. But i can attest, trying to use a mouth call is quite tiring after a while so its almost worth it to me to just keep bringing the foxpro if i have a partner to share gear weight
Sounds like it might not be worth it to be actually calling bears for me... Maybe I just need to bring one in case I want to get ones attention and bring it in. Can't bring my electronic.

Would using a cow diaphragm call and making calf noises be a good bet

I've called bears in but I don't put much effort into calling especially if I don't have eyes on a bear. When it works it works like magic but I find they really have to be in the mood and as mentioned, even when they're really in the mood if you stop calling long enough to clip in your release they'll often reverse direction and forget they were even pursuing anything. I find calls shine the most for bringing them into bow range from sub 150 yards but even then sometimes they just look at you like what's your problem?

OP
atorres

atorres

FNG
I've called bears in but I don't put much effort into calling especially if I don't have eyes on a bear. When it works it works like magic but I find they really have to be in the mood and as mentioned, even when they're really in the mood if you stop calling long enough to clip in your release they'll often reverse direction and forget they were even pursuing anything. I find calls shine the most for bringing them into bow range from sub 150 yards but even then sometimes they just look at you like what's your problem?
Interesting. Good to know

Sounds like it might not be worth it to be actually calling bears for me... Maybe I just need to bring one in case I want to get ones attention and bring it in. Can't bring my electronic.

Would using a cow diaphragm call and making calf noises be a good bet
They sure dont weigh much so i do always have mouth calls with me no matter what im hunting, if anything just to get something to stop moving. Its worth a shot, people have success doing it all the time. I use an external reed call tho, i think it'd be harder to use a diaphragm for long periods of time and you'd just blow it out quickly with the amount of calling needed. Literally took 50 minutes of constant calling with the foxpro to get that bear to come in for me. It was popping in and out of the edge of the trees and didn't come in until i slowly turned the volume down on the call. And even once it got 30 yards from the call it still lost interest and just started walking around eating plants and occasionally looking towards the call when id crank the volume back up. This went on for another 30 minutes before i shot lol. You might get lucky and have one nearby and interested tho, you never know. Bears are funny

OP
atorres

atorres

FNG
They sure dont weigh much so i do always have mouth calls with me no matter what im hunting, if anything just to get something to stop moving. Its worth a shot, people have success doing it all the time. I use an external reed call tho, i think it'd be harder to use a diaphragm for long periods of time and you'd just blow it out quickly with the amount of calling needed. Literally took 50 minutes of constant calling with the foxpro to get that bear to come in for me. It was popping in and out of the edge of the trees and didn't come in until i slowly turned the volume down on the call. And even once it got 30 yards from the call it still lost interest and just started walking around eating plants and occasionally looking towards the call when id crank the volume back up. This went on for another 30 minutes before i shot lol. You might get lucky and have one nearby and interested tho, you never know. Bears are funny
That does sound pretty funny. Complete lack of suspicion and the attention span of a middle school child