What carbon arrow and how heavy is your arrow?

Tyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
Kinda new to archery. Killed my first mule deer with a bow last year. It was small, nothing to brag. I've been told my arrow is too light. Im shooting a 340 XT hunter by Goldtip. My arrow is currently at 404 grains. Shooting a 70lb RX3 Hoyt at 28.5 draw length. I was looking at the killin stix arrow with an outsert. Probably the 300 shaft. Anyone have any insight on these or other carbon arrows and weight that I could benefit from? Im thinking more kinetic energy with enough speed.

Rob5589

WKR
I know there are guys that kill bombers every year but, any bow killed buck is something to brag about, IMO.

Anyway, too light in what way? Weight or spine? How long is your arrow? How much weight up front? Gold Tip has some calculators on their site that will point you in the right direction.

CaliforniaMuley209

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats! And There’s lots of options. I would look into some different arrows and pay attention to the GPI or grains per inch. Could find a little heavier arrow maybe shoot a 100 / 125 broadhead and be up to 450 grains pretty quick. I started shooting the Easton axis 300 spine. 10.7 GPI and a 50 grain insert with a 100 grain head im just under 500 grains. That’s the heaviest I’d go since my speed is only at 260 now. For deer I think 450 to 500 is plenty IMO.

OP
Tyeguy

Tyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for advise. I've heard good things about Easton arrows. Would 500 be plenty for Mule deer and Elk?

Ucsdryder

WKR
450+ wouldn’t be a good round number. I shoot a 560gr arrow. You can go lighter of course. Guys kill elk with a .243 every year. Doesn’t mean it’s the best option.

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
I’m shooting RX3 70# @ 29.5” draw using 28” Easton Axis 300 spine, 50 gr insert, 125 gr tip, 4 fletch, lighted nock coming in around 520. If I remember correctly that puts me around 280 fps.

Helix ultra 80 pounds 31.5” draw shooting 250 spine day six arrows 50 grain insert 4 fletch 100 grain heads puts me at 585..... I like heavy arrows tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTSabo

WKR
Id shoot whatever gr weight got me to 280 fps. I like black eagle carnivores with 50 gr brass inserts. I found them to be very durable.

What is your target species? How are you hunting? I think you are alright for mule deer especially if spot and stalk. For that I prefer a little more speed than weight as long as it tunes well.

If Elk are in the picture you could increase the weight a bit, but I have seen plenty killed from a setup lighter than that.

I'm currently shooting an arrow around 445 grain. Can't remember fps, probably low 290's in the compound, for elk setup.

I wouldn't get too hung up on it, spend your thought energy on other aspects like your shooting form.

Only insight I would give you is that the halfouts and outserts tend to be more work to setup, not saying it's not worth it. Just another step in the process.

I'd stay with the setup you have if you're shooting well with it ,and it sounds like you're shooting just fine. Congrats on the deer!

I'm with the lighter is better camp. Fast flat trajectory improves hitting where I aim, especially when judging distance error, starts coming into play.

My setup is 362 grains and is smokin fast, it's very rare I miss the exact spot I'm aiming at, and it don't blow right though the deer.

OP
Tyeguy

Tyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
Wow! I'm blown away by the amount of responses I've gotten. Thanks to all. I have a lot to think about. I plan on taking a few of these ideas and shooting different arrows at my local pro shop to see how these arrows perform.

Beendare

WKR
Well if you are new to archery...don't lose sight of the critical factors;

Perfect arrow flight.. a tuned bow ...and perfect arrow assembly.

Don't get yourself into an underspined condition....slightly overspined works great for a durable hunting arrow.

You can kill anything in NA with a 400gr arrow matched to an appropriate BH.

You don't lose much trajectory by bumping up your arrow weight.... you get a quieter setup and a better performing arrow.

_______-

KineKilla

WKR
475-525 total weight is where I like to be. Here are some builds I've put together and might give you a reference or starting point.
0aa6530c792b51d0ebb725c04837bcfd.jpg

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
An arrow around 480 grains should get you in the 280fps ball park. That’s the happy medium most people I know, myself included, shoot for. Optimal pin gaps, ease of tuning, still a very respectable arrow weight.

If I were you this is what I’d build:

.300 Easton axis cut to 28”
50 grain insert
100 grain head

Fletchings, nock and impact collar will put you right there at 480 grains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitely wouldn’t be concerned about going too much heavier with your arrow weight for deer unless you would like the option to start punching through leg bones. If you switch to hunting game that is bigger than a deer than I would suggest increasing your arrow weight a bit.