What do you do with your venison?

Mostly burger (5% beef fat) I like to use softer fatty tissue and no suet. I especially like to use brisket fat trimmings. Then I have yummy brisket to boot. I also make brats, summer, Italian, chorizo, and polish sausage using port trim. Snack sticks are awesome too especially if you don't forget to add some beef fat.

Liu_YS

FNG
I eat most of it in stews...at work. I have one of those Instant Pot pressure cookers. Start it in the morning and by lunch it's a tasty delight.
I've never done it in an instant pot, hows the consistency of it after its done? does it shred nicely?

With the steaks, I usually sear them in the EVOO on a cast iron skillet and butter baste with garlic. Turns out pretty tasty.

mtnDoc

FNG
did some thinly sliced top of the round this weekend on cast griddle, and made philly cheesteaks sandwiches. Was delicious.

I've never done it in an instant pot, hows the consistency of it after its done? does it shred nicely?

With the steaks, I usually sear them in the EVOO on a cast iron skillet and butter baste with garlic. Turns out pretty tasty.

Yes, when done it reminds me of pulled beef. Tender and tasty. Literally toughest of cuts turn to tender shredded venison.

How long does it usually take to be ready?

If I pressure cook it only takes 30 - 40 minutes for the meat part. I sautee onions and garlic, plus pan fry potatoes in oil. Usually doing that while pressure cooking the meat. I then add mixed veggies and fried potatoes and cook those in the meat for 20 minutes or so. Then dump in the onions and garlic, stir, and eat. Lots of ways to spice. I almost always add a half cup of red wine or apple sauce to add some acid. Creates a nice complex flavor.

If I slow cook I'll hold meat in broth for 5 - 6 hours at a low simmer, basically crock pot cooking. Crock pot will tenderize anything. Just a lot slower than the pressure cooker.

foxrocket

FNG
Chicken fried backstrap steaks, jerky from random cuts, roasts get broken down into stew/chili meat.

Hogyotedeer

Banned
I grilled the deer steaks this weekend and they were really good. I did them kind of last minute so I ended up defrosting in the microwave then I soaked them in italian dressing for 3 hours or so.

Then I cooked them on the grill with some hamburgers.

They really turned out good.

I still have the ground meat and the roast. I think I am going to do the roast this weekend.

I'll take a pic if it turns out good.

Thanks!

Rknight

Lil-Rokslider
Between my dad and I there’s usually 4-5 wt taken a year. Grind a bunch for whatever you’d use beef for, different types of sausage, tamales, barbacoa, steaks. Sausage is a big hit here and any of the roasts in a crockpot and pot stickers. We sub it for beef in most things and turns out good

LilBit

FNG
Jerky for sure. This year I cut mine into steaks, roasts, chunks for chili, and then with my trimmings/shoulder meat I made brats with two different seasonings and smoked them.

Lately the favorites have been ground jerky with LEM hot seasoning, tacos, and "Italian beef" style sandwiches from roast.

apsudd

FNG
Try to make as much jerky as possible, it goes FAST!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cut a mix of steaks and grind the rest. We usually add pork to the burger but this year I might not add anything. I make sausage from the burger in small batches as I want it.
i keep the shanks and the neck for roasts and braise them Osso Bucco style.

hntr

FNG
Just ate my last backstraps this week. So ready for more!!
I cut backstraps in 6" sections. season in montreal steak seasoning, sear on the weber on each side and offset until 130 degrees internal.
I do summer sausage, brats, burger, gourmet burgers, jerky, etc.
Venison is the most underrated meat on the planet. My advice to anyone is process your own meat. LEarn how to trim off silverskin/fat etc. It is a process and a learning curve. Nothing more rewarding than harvesting an animal and processing yourself. Plus it is the only way to insure that your meat is "your meat" done correctly and healthy!

Jlott9311

FNG
I cut the back straps into steaks, leave the inner loins whole, and grind just about everything else. I can get beef fat for really cheap from a local butcher. Other than hamburgers 99% of the ground meat we eat is venison.

jspradley

WKR

Man the instant pot is legit.

It's pretty much identical in texture to using a crockpot just 1/5, or less, of the time.

If you have all day it's definitely worth it to over braise since the dry heat tends to give a little caramalization to meats but for quick roasts or shredded meat the instant pot is where its at

If i get one i save the tenderloins , and make the rest hamburger with no pork added. Like the taste of straight venison. If i do get a second ill save back straps. I cut up my own and not good at getting the roast of in one piece.

greenomics

Lil-Rokslider
Last year's deer I saved the backstraps and everything else went to the butcher. Mix of burger, bulk breakfast sausage, summer sausage, and snack sticks.