What does your pack weigh

Off the top of my head and going solo, I’m thinking about 45ish lbs. This is with just 3 liters of water (my water bladder is always full when I start a hike), and everything else including rifle, spotter/tripod, etc. If I have a partner, I can loose about 10 lbs., give or take.
Oh sorry, I missed the archery part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It depends. How guys measure this and what is included is all over the board, so I look at weight from several perspectives.
  • Base Weight
  • Pack Weight Without Food & Water
  • Total Pack Weight
  • Total Skin-Out Weight
I wrote an article on our site that covers a lot of this, it may be worth a read.

ChrisAU

WKR
It depends. How guys measure this and what is included is all over the board, so I look at weight from several perspectives.
  • Base Weight
  • Pack Weight Without Food & Water
  • Total Pack Weight
  • Total Skin-Out Weight
I wrote an article on our site that covers a lot of this, it may be worth a read.

Total skin out weight is the easiest way to compare and dial gear. Its the total amount you are lugging up the mountain, and eliminates the guys saying "oh yeah my pack is only 17 lbs you need to dial in your gear, yeah I know I carry my tent and rifle on my head and all my food in my bino harness but my pack is super light bro".

TreyPound

FNG
Including consumables(food, water, fuel)?
I think I was at 25lbs last 4 day trip with full load of water food and fuel.. I have plans for a few purchases that will bring it under 20lb., but I haven't been backpacking much since the second kid so haven't been able to justify the money.

Start a spreadsheet, list every single item you take down to your Chapstick and Kleenex. List all items weights. Then go through and get rid of everything you didn't use last trip. Now get rid of everything you didn't NEED to use last trip. Like, you don't need 3 knives... You also don't need a bunch of bags inside of bags. Forget about organizing, stuff it all in there and keep day use stuff in outside pockets.

You could also post your spreadsheet when it's done if you can stomach people picking through it and criticizing your choices. That being said, you'll have better critics over at backpackinglight if you are trying to lose weight. There are some lightweight hikers here, but the majority of bush rafters carry heavy stuff, but that just all depends on how you enjoy spending time on the trail.

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
My first trip. 10 days, pack weight - too f#%king much!
Second trip. 7 days, pack weight - this sucks what am I doing out here!
Third trip. 5 days, pack weight - why am I a glutton for punishment!
My point here is, it's always heavy. Maybe not the first day but definitely the last and God forbid you get lucky enough to tag out. That's a whole nother monster.
I Love elk, I hate elk!

Bighorse

WKR
I think with food, water, weapon, and stacking all my wearables I'm hovering at 50. That's an honest weight with clothing, kill kit, communications, food, water, ect.....
Every year I take measures to lighten one or two items. My intention is to ultimately be heavy.
I hunt elk in Alaska BTW.
If I'm lugging in a packraft then add 10 pounds

NstihL

FNG
48lbs with bow, 7 days of food, and 1L of water. Where I hunt, it's easy to get water, so I don't pack much on the way in.