What food do y’all carry on the field?

MDurham

FNG
Been trying to perfect what I eat in the field for meals, since snacks are really nuts for me, I’ve bounced around from dehydrated stuff, mre, ramen and stews, and just eating snacks and beef jerky.

I prefer to carry just a cup and stove to boil water so that lends to the ramen and the dehydrated food, but the ramen doesn’t pack nearly as good as the dehydrated food does, but it’s also much cheaper.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
on the snack side: My wife made a Gorp recipe that is super filling, sorta healthy: equal parts (chopped dates), honey roasted peanuts, chocolate chips (semisweet or milk chocolate).

A ziplock snackbag full is over 600 calories by my calculation

Also, adding Idahoan dried potatoes to just about any Mtn House meal makes them go longer, and adds some variety.

OP
M

MDurham

FNG
on the snack side: My wife made a Gorp recipe that is super filling, sorta healthy: equal parts (chopped dates), honey roasted peanuts, chocolate chips (semisweet or milk chocolate).

A ziplock snackbag full is over 600 calories by my calculation

Also, adding Idahoan dried potatoes to just about any Mtn House meal makes them go longer, and adds some variety.
How’s that mix keep? Not sure the chocolate or the dates would do great in ga where I live, we get 100+ degree days, may have to try it when I’m up in tn for 7-10 days.

I’ll have to try the potatoes too, I just add tuna and hot sauce to basically everything, can even make mre rice appetizing

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
How’s that mix keep? Not sure the chocolate or the dates would do great in ga where I live, we get 100+ degree days, may have to try it when I’m up in tn for 7-10 days.

I’ll have to try the potatoes too, I just add tuna and hot sauce to basically everything, can even make mre rice appetizing
Well, that’s a good point, but I hunt in 90° temperatures during archery season and the chocolate melts and glues everything together in a big ball. So other than it can be messy, it’s still taste really good.

And for longevity , I find that the flavor doesn’t decrease for a couple of weeks. I usually make a few batches throughout the fall and then just keep them in the freezer until it’s time to go.

girlwithagun

FNG
Classified Approved
I’ve been on the search for a while to find good food for the trail. Avocados are high on my list and I found these and they are amazing!

Attachments

• IMG_0437.jpeg
    IMG_0437.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 14

Block

WKR
I like to carry a bunch of the Starkist flavored tuna packets. I’ll boil the cheap rice or pasta packets and add the tuna. It turns into a $2-3 meal vs the fancy ones and lower fat/better macros. Tho I realize most people add extra fats and cals for the weight benefits haha. The no sugar added Kirkland dried mangos are usually always a favorite of mine too. And tho I eat super clean 98% of the time,, the OG gold bears are always in my pack on hunts haha