What gear are you saving or gaining weight this year?

cmeier117

WKR
I have changed a few things up for this years hunts, and it got me thinking are the weight gains or losses worth the change? What areas are you helping or hurting yourself this year?

I am changing out the super tarp w/ annex for the mega tarp. So no real weight change as I am running no annex. But I am not sharing the tarp this year. I am also running a ID buga boo bivy instead of the Ti goat so that gained my about 16 ounces. I am either going to get some Mini ground hog stakes or the stupidly expensive FMJ stakes. With how many these tarps take I could shave 4-5 ounces right there. May also ditch the Neo air all season for a x-lite pad.

I will be thinning out my kill kit, I had 3 contractor bags and a fixed blade knife, will be opting for the havalon this year.

I will cut about 3-4 pounds from my food weight. I had an extra 5+ days of food on our last trip.

I am going from a DT1 with xtl to a BHC7000 with standard lid. That will save 3+ pounds.

I am probably not running the spotter and tripod this year and just using binos. I am not a trophy hunter ;)

I am using Hanwag Atlas boots instead of the Crispi Idaho's so that has gained me a good pounds. Feels like more though.

If I think of anything else I will let you know. I need to add up what my net gain or loss is but I am think just on food and the pack change I am losing a few pounds.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Cmeirer, I'd suggest going with full size MSRs for the main 4 corners of your Megatarp and then Hilleberg V-Stakes (or something of that nature forget the real name) for the side guyouts that what I did last year with my Megatarp and it seemed to work well. Seems to be the best compromise I found. Often the short MSR minis aren't enough for me atleast and I've shied away from them.

As far as thread topic:

Heavier binos 8 oz more weight (Zeiss Victory 10X32s to Vortex Razor HD 12X50s)
Lighter pack by 2.5 pounds (Longhunter DT1 w/XTL to Bikini Highcamp) Still have the longhunter frame though for heavy haulin' moose quarters and the ilk.
Lighter puffy gear for summer/early fall saved 20 oz there when I can use them by going to down for some trips.
Lighter bivy shelter saved me about a pound even...granted its quite a bit smaller, but still should get the job done.
Different head on my tripod and a few other tricks to lighten it up to 29 oz saved me 6 oz.
Going to try Kryptek Posiden rain gear this year on alpine trips like the Brooks Range which should save me about 8 oz over my Kuiu Chugach stuff.

Thats the stuff off the top of me head so close to 5 pounds overall savings and now that I can take a 50mm 1.5 pound spotter instead of my 4 pound 85mm spotter on certain trips I'm well over 7.5 pounds lighter overall just in that. :D

Yukondog

WKR
I'm going from BA fly creek UL3 to the Sawtooth. Guessing that will add somewhere around a pound. However the benefits go through the roof. Size, space, being able to stand up to dress and most appealing feature not rubbing elbows with hunting partner.

Matt

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I have some round Hilliberg 8 inch long stakes for main pull outs. They work nice, I do have some of the Hilleberg V stakes but they bend so easily, may switch those out for the Mini groundhogs for the sides and pullouts.

Curtis C

WKR
Spending a bunch of money but the base weight looks to be about the same. I switched from the DT2 to the High Camp Bikini 7K and from a Megatarp to a Sawtooth. I haven't run the numbers to be exact but figure I am close. Gaining lots of space in the pack as well as shelter so I am liking that.

Took to much food so I will drop some weight there.

Loosing some weight of my A$$ so that should help also.

Last edited:

worx53

WKR
I switched a bunch of gear this year:
Manfrotto carbon 190cx3 with pan head (3.9 lbs.) to Slik Sprint Pro2 and gonna use the ball head(2lbs)
Leupold Spotter to Nikon ED50 (-1.5lbs)
WM Alpinlite 20 degree from Marmot Lithium 0 degree (-1lb-1oz.)
Thermorest Prolite Plus pad to Thermarest Neo Air (-1lb)
Thermarest Pillow to Exped UL (-10oz)
Surefire St. Minimus to Zebralight H51 (-10oz.?)
Cabeleas XPG drybags to Kui Silnylon drybags (-10oz)
Havalon Piranta st.st. to Torch (+1oz)
Eberlestock Blue Widow with pouches/spike/panel/ and crap to Kifaru T2/Bikini (-4.5lbs.)
old camelback to Platypus Big Zip/sawyer inline (-0oz)
Katadyn pump to Platypus Gravityworks (-5oz)
Sitka Kelvin insulation to Kuiu Superdown Zip (-21oz.)
MRE's to Mountainhouse propacks (-2lbs)
Hilleberg Nallo3gt to Tarptent Stratospire2 with Easton FMJ stakes/ Black Diamond Z poles (-5lb-6oz)

The big tent is nice but heavy and its harder getting guys to travel from back east to hunt the big mountains so I see a lot of use for the new Tarptent.
I just hope it holds up as well as the Hilleberg.

Luke, Are the Zeiss 10x32's for sale?

sk1

WKR
went from using the full SL3 to a BA FL 2, think it saves around 2lbs

saved a few ounces switching from the exped ul synmat 7 long and wide to the BA qcore sl long

took too many batteries and too much food last year

saving some weight on the katadyn hiker pro to sawyer inline

adding weight of a sat phone ...

worx53

WKR
I really want to see one of those BA UL tents in person as I was gonna pull the trigger on one. Then I talked to a guy at Prolitegear and a guy at Bentgate (where I bought my Hille) and both said theyre made out of tissue paper and wouldn't hold up. On the other hand I've read great reviews on them as well. I hope this tarptent works well as I've never seen one of these either.

sk1

WKR
I really want to see one of those BA UL tents in person as I was gonna pull the trigger on one. Then I talked to a guy at Prolitegear and a guy at Bentgate (where I bought my Hille) and both said theyre made out of tissue paper and wouldn't hold up. On the other hand I've read great reviews on them as well. I hope this tarptent works well as I've never seen one of these either.

they are made of tissue paper, but seem to hold up just fine for many people.....my first season with it so we shall see.

Tim M

Lil-Rokslider
I used my BA copper spur UL two summers and one season, haven't had any problems with it holding up at all. I have a super tarp that I love however in several of my locations the mosquitos are crazy during scouting so the BA has filled the ticket

Last edited:

bowinhand

WKR
I've been using a BA copper spur 2 since 2010 and don't have any complaints except it weighs over three pounds all up.

Brent1321

Lil-Rokslider
I am dumping my Copper Spur UL1 this year. I love it, but 3.5 pounds is just too much. This year I plan on using my Six Moons Design Gatewood Cape. It will save me about 2.5 pounds. I still need to seam seal, and then I will load my gear inside for a little at home test run. Not like I hang out inside my tent, so it should be just fine, and will make me want to keep moving if that is what is required.

Brent

slim9300

WKR
I switched a bunch of gear this year:
Manfrotto carbon 190cx3 with pan head (3.9 lbs.) to Slik Sprint Pro2 and gonna use the ball head(2lbs)
Leupold Spotter to Nikon ED50 (-1.5lbs)
WM Alpinlite 20 degree from Marmot Lithium 0 degree (-1lb-1oz.)
Thermorest Prolite Plus pad to Thermarest Neo Air (-1lb)
Thermarest Pillow to Exped UL (-10oz)
Surefire St. Minimus to Zebralight H51 (-10oz.?)
Cabeleas XPG drybags to Kui Silnylon drybags (-10oz)
Havalon Piranta st.st. to Torch (+1oz)
Eberlestock Blue Widow with pouches/spike/panel/ and crap to Kifaru T2/Bikini (-4.5lbs.)
old camelback to Platypus Big Zip/sawyer inline (-0oz)
Katadyn pump to Platypus Gravityworks (-5oz)
Sitka Kelvin insulation to Kuiu Superdown Zip (-21oz.)
MRE's to Mountainhouse propacks (-2lbs)
Hilleberg Nallo3gt to Tarptent Stratospire2 with Easton FMJ stakes/ Black Diamond Z poles (-5lb-6oz)

The big tent is nice but heavy and its harder getting guys to travel from back east to hunt the big mountains so I see a lot of use for the new Tarptent.
I just hope it holds up as well as the Hilleberg.

Luke, Are the Zeiss 10x32's for sale?

Those are some solid changes. I hear you on the Hilleberg. I shared my Nallo 4 GT with my partner for years but now the MegaTarp with TiGoat bivy combo saves us a bunch of weight and space in our packs with very little compromise in comfort.

My minimal changes for 2013...

Crocs to New Balance Minimus trail shoes. (-4 ounces and 10.0 ounces actual weight) These shoes are a huge improvement in usability. I can do anything in them if need be and they make amazing stalking shoes. They are also great rock climbing shoes. :)

Kifaru T1 modified w/ aluminum stays, small belt pocket and standard lid to Kifaru BT1 modified with gutted LH lid, small belt pocket, and 1 lash straps. (-0.9 ounces and 96.1 ounces actual weight)

Exped UL7 M to BA Q-core SL (long). (+4.5 ounces and 22.6 ounces actual weight with seam sealer lines) This is 4.5 ounces that I would add any day of the week for what is gained. This is the most comfortable pad out there for the weight and R-value and not having my feet hanging off the end is an added plus.

Kuiu Spindrift to Kuiu Superdown. (About -4 ounces and 11.0 ounces actual weight)

My entire pack weight for 10 days with everything except my bow and water comes in at less than 44 lbs. That with a great deal of luxuries and comfort foods. My packing list/spreadsheet is to the point that there is no longer buying 'better' or lighter gear. I'm sure I'll find something new to try next year however. I would love to pickup Luke's 10x32 Zeiss Victories and trade in my old 10x42 Monarchs. Lol.

Ozz08

WKR
Switching from a Big Agnes Fairview 3 tent to a Megatarp, easton nano stakes and borah bivy is saving me 4lbs.

Like slim, I'm trading in the crocs for new balance MT00 shoes shaving 4 oz. the only downside to these shoes is their durability. I use mine for light trail runs and occasionally to the gym. I have probably have only 80 trail miles on them and they will need to be replaced soon. If I was just using them as camp/stalking shoes they would probably last a few seasons.

I cut weight from my kill kit, first aid kit and survival kit. Saving 15oz between the three.

I had planned on trading out my soft shell jacket and vest for a puffy jacket and that would have saved me 24-30oz depending on the jacket. I couldn't decide which jacket to get then I forgot all about it and now my first hunt of the year is 6 days away so I may just grab whatever lightweight puffy I find at rei.

I did gain some weight by adding a gen 2 hanging meat bag. I'm going to use it this season but after some training hike with it I think I've already made up my mind that it is totally not worth the weight.

I also added a longhunter lid that I gutted. I still haven't weighed the final product but I'm sure it's at least a few ounces heavier than the standard lid

Like most of you guys i am always changing or tweaking my gear trying to lighten things up. This year i went to a stone glacier solo pack, which will save me a couple of pounds. I also went from a full sleeping bag to a enlightened equipment revelation X quilt that will shave off about 7 ounces. I am awaiting my Borah bivy, should be here any day. Not loosing any weight there but more roomy than my Ti- goat partimagen bivy. Gained some weight on my sleeping pad. I have a neo air x-lite and am going to the Q-Core SL. The extra 1 inch thickness feels so darn good on my back, but with that change i am gaining a few ounces. Trimmed my kill kit down. Went from a Jet Boil SOL to a starlyte Alcohol stove. Saved a few ounces there. The only other thing i am doing is i am trying to keep my pack simple and clean. I have all the available bells and whistles for the solo. Two belt pouches, Access bag, spotter pouch. I am trying to just run with the belt pouches and nothing else. Access bag weight is 7 ounces, spotter pouch is almost 5. Trying to keep it clean. Using a Sawyer squeeze instead of a filter bottle also saving me a few ounces.

I've gotten my weight down pretty low, so I'm in the saving ounces area now. I'm going to replace my current ground tarp with a lighter silnylon during the off season. I'm also looking at getting a lighter down sleeping bag. Looking at the Sierra DriDown Zissou 23. I'm thinking my total savings will only be around 1 pound, but it is still a pound.

I did just save about 3 to 3.5 lbs with a new rifle purchase, so I'm pretty stoked about that.

endorice

Lil-Rokslider
Crocs to New Balance Minimus trail shoes. (-4 ounces and 10.0 ounces actual weight) These shoes are a huge improvement in usability. I can do anything in them if need be and they make amazing stalking shoes. They are also great rock climbing shoes. :)
slim - which model of the NB Minimus are you using? A quick google turned up a handful of different models, including a new HI-REZ model claiming a weight of 3.7 ounces (per shoe). I'm sure they are not very durable, but that would make a great light weight camp shoe.

Lawnboi

WKR
Im just going to try packing less crap.

It will be hard not to bring the 6man tipi and stove though after using it. Solid 7lb gain over the paratarp. not so much if I get the oval stove :)

I wouldn't mind those carbon black diamond zpoles! Those would save me some weight.

A KUIU superdown jacket would be nice as well.

Im thinking of a lighter bivy for under the paratarp, but I have a feeling im just going to be disappointed after using the ID bugaboo, actually thinking of adding the ID nestor to my list of stuff, that should help when the bugs are thick.

A new bag might be nice too. All iv got is the doobie right now and at 2lb 4oz for something that only gets me down to a hair below freezing I could use something lighter.

On the mini groundhogs, I found them adequate with my paratarp for the areas that I have gone, that said I have not used them in any loose soil areas and I still carry 2-4 normal groundhogs. And on another note, the new groundhogs are junk compared to the old ones! Already bent 2.