What harness has the most utility?

*zap*

WKR
One thing to consider when using a harness facing away from the anchor point and attaching in the front is:

If your line is under your arm and you fall your arm is in the way and it will likely take a pretty good hit from the line as your spun around.....

OP
S

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
Well I didn't get out today because there is a "tropical storm" covering up the midwest. Got a few inches so far. But I spent some time this morning rigging up a linemans belt and tree strap out of rock climbing rope and carabiners.

1 rope that will work for climbing and setting steps as well as sitting in the tree. Took about 30 minutes watching videos on rock climbing knots and a trip to the store to get 20' of 10mm rope and 3 black diamond positron carabiners. Less than 15 min to make, 25 bucks, and weighs 18 oz. Total length is 12'

3 different knots for the 3 carabiners
Carabiner #1: Cinch knot
Carabiner #2: Prusik knot (basically a 30" loop of rope wrapped around the main rope)
Carabiner #3: Fly leader loop ( knot sure what it is called but its the noncinching loop i use for tying on a leader for my fly rod)

Climbing up I'll have #1 clipped to my belt. Adjust #2 to the right length and clip it on my belt. That is basically a linemans belt. #3 wont have any weight on it but ill have to clipped to the load bearing loop on the front of my harness for when i get up into the stand.

When i get in the stand I'll unclip #1 and clip it into the prusik knot. Then tighten the prussic to the tree up above my head that functions as the tree strap. #3 is still attached to my harness and so now its like i have a lanyard hooked up.

Going to try it out in the morning if its not raining

Can you tell I'm bored?

ao9488

FNG
I see. So you just keep it tucked under your bow holding arm and it doesn’t seem to be an issue? I’ve been thinking about switching as the harness I have came with the tree stand and as OP said, it’s junk. But I was concerned about the rock harness for the that reason. But I guess it makes sense, keep it under your arm and when you stand and get set up for a shot it should be loose enough and tucked under enough to be out of the way. Thanks for that.
That's what I do, I find it to be the most comfortable way to sit and it tucks out of the way nicely.

Setting up a new stand last week I grabbed onto a dead limb that quickly gave way. Thankfully I was wearing my harness and was strapped in with a climbing rope, only thing it did was scare me a bit.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
S

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
The harness and rope worked great. I'm super happy with it. Using the same rope to climb and strap in is great. Makes it quick and simple. Super light and comfortable. Didn't see any negatives, would definitely recommend to anybody looking to upgrade their harness system on a budget. Or even if money isnt an issue, it's still great

I was able to hang steps with all my wieigt leaning on the rope, easy to adjust the length, even 1 handed you just have to inch the knot up or down. Easy to unclip and go over limb. Felt very safe when sitting and never got in my way.

ao9488

FNG
The harness and rope worked great. I'm super happy with it. Using the same rope to climb and strap in is great. Makes it quick and simple. Super light and comfortable. Didn't see any negatives, would definitely recommend to anybody looking to upgrade their harness system on a budget. Or even if money isnt an issue, it's still great

I was able to hang steps with all my wieigt leaning on the rope, easy to adjust the length, even 1 handed you just have to inch the knot up or down. Easy to unclip and go over limb. Felt very safe when sitting and never got in my way.

View attachment 129770View attachment 129771
I really like that rope idea. I might have to steal that, would be really nice to have one rope do it all. Only thing I'd think of doing different is have #3 being a prusik too. So when you hook into the stand you can adjust the length so if for some reason you would fall, the fall wouldn't be far. Hard to tell from the picture, it might be in the right place anyhow.

OP
S

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
I really like that rope idea. I might have to steal that, would be really nice to have one rope do it all. Only thing I'd think of doing different is have #3 being a prusik too. So when you hook into the stand you can adjust the length so if for some reason you would fall, the fall wouldn't be far. Hard to tell from the picture, it might be in the right place anyhow.

That's a good idea. You're right the rope is long and needs to be shortened. I just grabbed a section and tied it in a knot with a big loop to take up the slack. You can kind of see it in the picture but not clearly. It seemed to work, but another prusik would work too. I messed with it on the ground and had it all holding my weight with no slippage so I feel pretty comfortable

Question about the rock climbing harness. I’ve seen many people are switching to them. Where does your safety rope go? It seems to me that if your rope was attached to the tree above your head like usual and the other end is attached to the front of the loop on the front of the harness the rope would just be dangling over your shoulder onto your chest. Wouldn’t it get in the way of your draw with a bow? Or is this overthinking it? I’d just hate to be trying to draw on a nice buck and have my arm get tangled in my safety line.

Literally just made this switch. Bought the petzl pandion for $49. Very adjustable for different types of clothing and only comes in one size fits all, due to that fact. I also purchased the Hunter Safety System Tree Rope (not the lifeline) for tying into tree. You simply loop it around tree then hook carabiner to the front of your waist . Its length is adjustable with a prusik knot. I made mine loose enough to be out of way and allow total freedom of movement but not so loose that it would be a long fall. Never going back to the standard hunting harness. Some guys also, incorporate an additional rope section that has some dynamic stretch incase of a fall but I personally am ok with the thought of a couple foot drop before the harness and rope pulls tight.

ao9488

FNG
On my lifelines that I have set up, I use the dynaclip to hook to them. For my run and gun I use the hss tree rope with the dynaclip as well, but that's just because I'm too lazy to take it on and off.