What is the current best scope on the market?

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
The results from the 1” model obviously leave much to be desired, but I can only report how the 30mm tubed model did for me. I haven’t tried any of the 1” tubes.

John

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m sure Vortex has a whole fleet of those trucks for their influencer posse.

Wrench

WKR
You can learn a lot from hondo and raider. These guys have spent some money on glass over the years.

Considering that you bought a 308 Winchester you should limit your shots to 400 yards or so. The 308 is an excellent cartridge , but its range is limited compared to a 300 Weatherby Magnum.
Your rifle is on the light side, so you probably want to keep it that way.
I would look at a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 mm. It is tough as nails, it is light and it has the power to make 400 to 500 yards possible…. And you will not have to mortgage your house to buy it!!

Just my opinion……….

Last edited:
Considering that you bought a 308 Winchester you should limit your shots to 400 yards or so. The 308 is an excellent caliber, but its range is limited compared to a 300 Weatherby Magnum.
Oh boy... And now we wait.

Spoiler for the OP: You do not need a 300 Remchesterby Shitkicking Magnum to shoot past 400 yards and 90%+ of people with rifles chambered in crap like that should be shooting a smaller cartridge because of flinching and ammo cost which reduces the amount they practice.

OP
cueva

cueva

FNG
Oh boy... And now we wait.

Spoiler for the OP: You do not need a 300 Remchesterby Shitkicking Magnum to shoot past 400 yards and 90%+ of people with rifles chambered in crap like that should be shooting a smaller cartridge because of flinching and ammo cost which reduces the amount they practice.
Thank you!! As a newbie, got a lil stressed for a second…

WillS24

FNG
Just picked up my first rifle (tikka t3x superlite in .308win) and looking to buy the best scope possible in reliability, glass, holding zero, and good features. Mostly open to hearing any opinions with no budget in mind just to hear whats out there, but Im personally looking to spend no more than $2.5k which also seems a lot. Honestly, I impulsively purchased a Leupold VX6HD for a good price, but am debating on returning it now as I have seen a few reports of here of people saying it doesnt hold zero and may not be reliable? New to hunting and would appreciate any help, thanks guys.
I started out with a Nightforce NX8 on my 300PRC. They’re built like a tank but definitely on the heavy side. No complaints with NF but I sold mine and bought a Leupold VX-5. No complaints with that either can only imagine the VX-6 is just as good or better.

cqh1111

FNG
Leupold vx5 or vx6, vortex razor. I have a Burris veracity that hasn’t had any problems.

HuntnPack

WKR
Save up & get Top Tier !!!
Get Tangent Theta .
Best Glass & Turrets

After running NF for several years & recently having issues with a few, I’ve
Made the decision to move up.
Tried several other brands & found the
Tangent to be The Best available for my
Needs.

YMMV.

SDHNTR

WKR
I started out with a Nightforce NX8 on my 300PRC. They’re built like a tank but definitely on the heavy side. No complaints with NF but I sold mine and bought a Leupold VX-5. No complaints with that either can only imagine the VX-6 is just as good or better.
You do realize that the VX6 is nothing more that a wider erector range? Nothing better or worse about it, just different. And neither would go on any rifle of mine.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
Steiner t6xi 2.5-15x50 cameraland has a sale currently as well as if you buy the scope you get a pair of binoculars for free with it. That also keeps you well under the budget threshold so you can also buy quality rings and base if you dont already have it as well as more ammo I've been using that same scope quite a bit lately and it's been dead on for me as well as everyone else ive talked to and know who use it.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
To me, the SWFA 3-9 is the best scope for a hunting rifle. Durability, tracking, weight, and FFP reticle with this power range are outstanding. 6x42 is a close second. Looking forward to seeing the new versions which should be coming out shortly.

It’s not really a budget thing either for me. I picked up a $2800 seekins rifle and topped it with a SWFA 3-9 because I think it was the best option regardless of cost.I pack $3400 binos, $1300 RF and a $1500 tripod, use TBAC cans, and use $200-600 SWFA scopes 👍

Macintosh

WKR
VX6? Been working pretty good for me for 10 years, including 60+ plains game. What's the problem?

Problem is that I have had nothing but problems with holding zero and tracking. Leupold has told me on multiple occasions when I asked that the internal adjustment mechanism is the same on all vx models (diff adj range in some cases, but same construction, same materials, same design), that its glass coatings and magnification range that is different. Out of the last 4 leupold vx scopes Ive owned (vx3 and a 5) only 1 never had significant problems with holding zero and adjusting accurately, and none of those were used all that hard. I used to think it was me, my “inaccurate rifles”, and then I saw that loads of other people experienced the exact same thing and I put 2 and 2 together…unfortunately that still equals 4, because I think Leupold ticks every other box better than any other company out there. So while I 100% believe people who say they’ve never had an issue, my personal experience, the way my experience matches a lot of the bad experiences I hear from others, coupled with the results from the only relatively objective testing i know of, lead me to conclude that leupold scopes are a roll of the dice at best. I usually try to keep it positive, but in this case I, and I think all of us, have a vested interest in making this topic more of a priority for manufacturers than it seems to be at the moment. This is my typical experience:
IMG_2425.jpeg

Last edited:

JGRaider

WKR
Good post! Admittedly, I haven't bought a new one in years. I like a variety of glass.