What is traditional archery?

Mt Al

WKR
I love traditional archery, many friends who do it and are not a-holes about it. The bow makers are artists. I picked up a hand made recurve a few years ago and it felt alive in my hands. It was a thing of beauty and deadly. If/when I have time I definitely want to pick it up. Two very close friends are dedicated and their archery enjoyment has skyrocketed.

Others...get real! Do what you like, own it, but "B(#$& Please" don't pretend you're better, more "core", whatever, none of us are.

Traditional archery is when you....
Buy a bow made with materials harvested half a country away by machines built with materials made in Europe that are computer controlled, processed in a factory by computer controlled equipment, dried/cured in a room that has sensors detecting moisture content.
Then stacked, shipped by trucks or trains with computer controls and driven by fuel made with crude oil from half a world away (or Texas now adays) that got to the truck/train by pipelines that are computer controlled.
(I could go on about the wood and how non traditional it is, but I'll stop because it's insane)

Then the bow maker makes the bow and sells it on line - via a COMPUTER!! If it's a traditional bow, should he/she have sold it by word of mouth and shouldn't you have walked to pick it up? Or maybe, just maybe, it should be OK to sell by mail from hand written letters - delivered by airplanes. Heretics...

Then you shoot into a foam target made by harsh chemicals that were poured into a animal-looking mold that was made by computer controlled equipment.

blah blah blah - so you can shoot and hit something now.

Then you awaken by means of a Chinese made smart phone, drive to your hunting spot using gas (GAS!!! Shouldn't you have to walk?) burned by a vehicle that uses computers just to keep your toes and fingers warm or cool, depending on how you feel that morning. You're probably wearing clothes/boots made in China by half slaves instead of by leather from game you harvested and gummed/chewed by your wife until supple, then sized and stitched together by her (or your "partner", I'm sorry for using "him" and "her" in a traditional way - this was a micro aggression and I'm sorry) with string made from tendons of whatever you harvested.

Then you step into the field, smart phone in your pocket, Chinese made laser range finder around your neck - and go traditional hunting.

MattB

WKR
Based on my history with self-described traditional archers, the definition speaks to those who have the self-assuredness to belittle anyone who uses any more technology than they in a poorly veiled attempt to elevate themselves.

I kid.

Mostly.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
Traditional is whatever you want it to be. Traditional Xmas Dinner at my house is Porchetta, we've been doing it for 5 years now but to my kids they don't know any other Xmas meal. Ask them and they will tell you its our tradition.

Heck most people outside of archery describe tradition as what they did when they were kids. Did your grandpa shoot a compound bow? Then thats traditional.

traditional
adjective
Save Word
To save this word, you'll need to log in.

tra·di·tion·al | \ trə-ˈdish-nəl , -ˈdi-shə-nᵊl \
Definition of traditional

1: of or relating to tradition : consisting of or derived from traditiona traditional celebration
2: handed down from age to agetraditional historytraditional songs/stories
3: following or conforming to tradition : adhering to past practices or established conventionstraditional moralitytraditional values/beliefsemploying traditional methods of cooking

Thats the actual definition of the word. So anything that was done before your time and passed down to you is traditional.

TLDR
Who cares, go have fun.

OP
cocky84

cocky84

WKR
Traditional is whatever you want it to be. Traditional Xmas Dinner at my house is Porchetta, we've been doing it for 5 years now but to my kids they don't know any other Xmas meal. Ask them and they will tell you its our tradition.

Heck most people outside of archery describe tradition as what they did when they were kids. Did your grandpa shoot a compound bow? Then thats traditional.

traditional
adjective
Save Word
To save this word, you'll need to log in.

tra·di·tion·al | \ trə-ˈdish-nəl , -ˈdi-shə-nᵊl \
Definition of traditional

1: of or relating to tradition : consisting of or derived from traditiona traditional celebration
2: handed down from age to agetraditional historytraditional songs/stories
3: following or conforming to tradition : adhering to past practices or established conventionstraditional moralitytraditional values/beliefsemploying traditional methods of cooking

Thats the actual definition of the word. So anything that was done before your time and passed down to you is traditional.

TLDR
Who cares, go have fun.

ok so your definition of traditional is a compound? cool

my grandpa used to shoot ppl out of helicopters with machine guns in nam, guess that’s traditional too.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Based on my history with self-described traditional archers, the definition speaks to those who have the self-assuredness to belittle anyone who uses any more technology than they in a poorly veiled attempt to elevate themselves.

I kid.

Mostly.
Pretty much spot on. The trad police that speak the loudest are the ones you spend the most time at a shoot helping them look for arrows that they've lost.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
ok so your definition of traditional is a compound? cool

my grandpa used to shoot ppl out of helicopters with machine guns in nam, guess that’s traditional too.

Depends, did your grandpa teach you to shoot people out of helicopters as well? Passed down, I can see reading comprehension isn't one of your strong points, but hey at least you're good at holding animals as far away from yourself as possible in order to stroke your ego lmao. Feel free to continue trying to portray things in whatever way makes you feel the best about yourself.tumblr_m325lrnSfr1qf3hns.jpgour

Last edited:

Kentucky

WKR
And you must make this bow in a tipi by fire light wearing buckskin pants.

To me there is compound archery (superior mechanical advantage), Olympic archery (sights, elevated rests, micro adjustments) and traditional archery (single string, no sights, off shelf, tune arrows to bow.

The materials thing is a rabbit hole..can’t blame a guy wanting to use a metal riser in a harsh environment so his rig has a higher chance of surviving misfortune while in field. Or somebody using carbon arrows because of durability..

I shoot a longbow cut to center, it has micarta in the riser.. does that make it easier to shoot?

Shoot what makes you happy and gives you the confidence you need to effectively and efficiently reach your goals. If somebody tells you your wrong by doing so, they are lesser individuals.

OP
cocky84

cocky84

WKR
Depends, did your grandpa teach you to shoot people out of helicopters as well? Passed down, I can see reading comprehension isn't one of your strong points, but hey at least you're good at holding animals as far away from yourself as possible in order to stroke your ego lmao. Feel free to continue trying to portray things in whatever way makes you feel the best about yourself.View attachment 213906our
Says the guy with deer picture taken 2” away from his nose. Besides, you dont have to do too much camera work to make a moose look big.
I for seen this thread going several directions. I knew there would be guys saying handmade only. Thats cool. I knew there would be guys say aluminum risers are still traditional. Cool too. Wasnt posting to try to convince anybody that my way was the only way to be traditional. I guess you and me are in the same boat when it comes to reading comprehension.
But i never imaged there would be a guy try to make an argument that a compound bow was traditional. Once again the internet has proven me wrong.
you go to any bow shop in the world and tell them you want to look at a traditional bow. If any one pulls a compound off the wall ill kiss your ass. Then tell them it is indeed traditional because my grandpa taught me how to shoot a compound. Then they will get it.

Good luck this year man! Maybe ill run into at the Traditional Archey Expo trying to pick yourself up a new compound. We can swap some kill pics. Ill give ya some pointers on how to make that buck look even bigger!!

OP
cocky84

cocky84

WKR
And you must make this bow in a tipi by fire light wearing buckskin pants.

To me there is compound archery (superior mechanical advantage), Olympic archery (sights, elevated rests, micro adjustments) and traditional archery (single string, no sights, off shelf, tune arrows to bow.

The materials thing is a rabbit hole..can’t blame a guy wanting to use a metal riser in a harsh environment so his rig has a higher chance of surviving misfortune while in field. Or somebody using carbon arrows because of durability..

I shoot a longbow cut to center, it has micarta in the riser.. does that make it easier to shoot?

Shoot what makes you happy and gives you the confidence you need to effectively and efficiently reach your goals. If somebody tells you your wrong by doing so, they are lesser individuals.

well said,
Im pretty much on board with how you break it down.
Yep anyone that changes how Or what they shoot because of what someone else thinks is in it for the wrong reasons.

bobinmi

WKR
Christ,... this topic turns into a dumpster fire every time. I consider "traditional" archery to be whatever the competitive organization I'm shooting with at the time defines it. NFAA, IBO, WA all classify it differently. It sounds like you were at what I would consider an "outlaw" match. His bow wouldn't have been in the traditional class for any of the major organizations. Yours wouldn't either because of the clicker. Just shoot what you want to shoot. I'm far more concerned with someones hunting ethics than I am with the weapon that they are using. I defy anyone to tell me how I should spend my limited money and free time.

DOESLAYER

Lil-Rokslider
"Trad Police" lol
"Bluetooth Nock" LMAO

Only on Rokslide, love this place!

i've read some time ago of guys getting banned from trad/forums due to taking "unethical" long shots on game.

I've seen too many people injure animals with rifles, compounds and stickbows. To say one is purer...

Premeditated murder of bambi is not ethical or traditional its just putting meat on the table with whatever tool you choose to.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
Says the guy with deer picture taken 2” away from his nose. Besides, you dont have to do too much camera work to make a moose look big.
I for seen this thread going several directions. I knew there would be guys saying handmade only. Thats cool. I knew there would be guys say aluminum risers are still traditional. Cool too. Wasnt posting to try to convince anybody that my way was the only way to be traditional. I guess you and me are in the same boat when it comes to reading comprehension.
But i never imaged there would be a guy try to make an argument that a compound bow was traditional. Once again the internet has proven me wrong.
you go to any bow shop in the world and tell them you want to look at a traditional bow. If any one pulls a compound off the wall ill kiss your ass. Then tell them it is indeed traditional because my grandpa taught me how to shoot a compound. Then they will get it.

Good luck this year man! Maybe ill run into at the Traditional Archey Expo trying to pick yourself up a new compound. We can swap some kill pics. Ill give ya some pointers on how to make that buck look even bigger!!

Once again you've completely missed the point well done. Also I'm not sure how taking a picture of a deer on a wall is somehow messing with the perspective but hey, if you say so.

Let me spell my point out for you. There is no definition for trad, so who cares. You do you boo.

Maybe next time you can prop up the animal with some sticks and stand 20 feet back lmao.

OP
cocky84

cocky84

WKR
Once again you've completely missed the point well done. Also I'm not sure how taking a picture of a deer on a wall is somehow messing with the perspective but hey, if you say so.

Let me spell my point out for you. There is no definition for trad, so who cares. You do you boo.

Maybe next time you can prop up the animal with some sticks and stand 20 feet back lmao.

That better for ya?
1AE65284-4E38-422B-816E-753D32D1BCF5.jpeg

Man I missed seeing this one.

Make sure your finger is touching your nock as well. I found that one out. Of course after the shoot was over and someone complained.

Rules for classes are just what they are, should probably just have different names for the classes. They never let me shoot a 4 pin sight on a compound when it's mounted to an "adjustable" arm. Rules don't say a thing about having a sight that is adjustable, just that you aren't allowed to adjust in bowhunter class. Every sight is adjustable.

Beendare

WKR
To me trad is no compounds.

I gave up trying to meet the expectations of the fringed jacket Traditional crowd. They can make me shoot whatever class- I don't care.

I get that the degree of difficulty goes up with a wood longbow and woodies.....I wouldn't argue it doesn't and those guys deserve to shoot in a separate class.

A rest makes a huge difference, too. Most shoots I've done have classes that break it down pretty good.

Guys shooting Fred Bear style [with NO solid ANCHOR!] will be the ones giving you grief for the clicker. I see a few of those guys at every tourney....they do a fly by on their 'supposed' anchor.....mostly never ever getting to full draw.

Oh and most of those same guys are bragging they shoot high poundage. Sure, I can shoot 80# that way too....all day.........letting the arrow go 2" short of my anchor!

____