What items do you carry multiples of while in the backcountry?

Dennis

WKR
In pockets and always with me, InReach mini, small whistle, chapstick, bic lighter, Leatherman Skeletool, RovyVon flashlight (headlamp/camp light and green light in one tiny flashlight) and orange signal panel in back pocket. Also carry cell phone with maps downloaded which serves as backup flashlight and camera. Water flask in back pocket sometimes.

In actual pack is surefire headlamp, lighting strike fire starter, emergency tarp, sheath knife, water and water filter, first aid kit with tourniquet, wet wipes, small power bank with charging cables, and ultalight foam pad.

Titan_Bow

WKR
As I’ve gotten older, one thing I carry 2 of now are cheap reading glasses. Usually one pair in my shirt or jacket pocket and a pair in my pack. I invariably leave a pair laying on the ground where I’d been sitting and glassing or just waiting in ambush for a while.
I keep an extra release in my pack always, nothing like 4 or 5 mile hike in and then the sudden realization you don’t have your release with you LOL. I’ve had a MSR water filter and a Sawyer water filter fail in the past, so I always have Aqua Mira tablets in my pack as well. I have a box of waterproof strike anywhere matches in my bino harness and one in my pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-8 AA batts in case a camera is dead and 2 AAA batts for headlamp
-Whole Roll of 2 ply TP (comes in handy for flagging a route and biodegrades unlike all the flagging land agencies and timber companies use.
-3 bic lighters
-spare underwear always
-4 pairs of socks always. Dry and warm feet is a game changer
-40’ p cord

drdrop

FNG
In grizzly country I pack a lightweight electric fence. I've learned that a spare set of D cell batteries is a requirement.

rsipes3

FNG
knives, navigation, firestarters, flashlight/headlamp, socks, ammo, pretty much it i think

Luked

WKR
3 types of water purification.
3 different methods to start a fire
2 headlamps
2 50" pieces of 1.8mm reflective cord.
2 knives

bozeman

WKR
2 knives, one fixed blade, one replaceable blade
2 headlamps, main one and a very lightweight one
2 pair of socks and I change these throughout the trip
Paracord- enough to rope the moon

I would recommend people watch 5 main knots for camping on youtube and practice, practice, practice....I did this with my wife and kids one night and we had a blast......

It's been said, but way more TP than you think you'll need. Personally, there's been an uncanny correlation between my hunting outings and unusually significant bathroom breaks.

I’ve always felt the saying, “one is none and two is one.”

But when it comes to backcountry hunting, where weight is a premium you can get way too heavy quickly by packing your fears so to speak.

That said what items do you still carry multiples of in case of failure or misplacement?

For me the list is pretty short.

Headlamp. I’ve always got a spare. I thought about ditching my spare this year because it always lives around my neck anyway, but it’s just too critical of an item and too lightweight. I sort of view it any “spare”as being place to hold spare AAA batteries in case my main headlamp dies.

Bic lighter. Super lightweight and so critical it’s inexcusable not to have more than one.

Spare merino liner gloves. They are so lightweight it’s hard not to justify throwing them in. It really sucks to lose a glove when you are several miles from the truck and it’s cold.

Spare socks. This one goes without saying, but I have paired it down to just one spare pair as long as I’m not out for more than 3 days. I can usually dry out wet socks at night and keep them on rotation.

ETA forgot about knives! One fixed blade and one pocket knife. The pocket knife lives on me so I forgot to even mention it as a spare.
a release and a headlamp feel up there. Knives as well

jayhawk

WKR
I only carry spares of things that I think: “If I lose this, the hunt is over” (within reason of course)

Optics? I can see without them
Boots? I can walk barefoot

Knife? I cant skin a deer with a rock
Release? Can’t draw my bow without it

Just my thoughts

Arrows, broadheads, and batteries for headlamp.

Usually one arrow, and one broadhead is enuff. Sometimes I need more