What pack for horseback??

If you were going on a guided horseback hunt. What pack would you take. Since its guided I won't be carrying food or cooking supplies. Only my own gear. Do I need to put all my stuff in my pack or do you spread it out since your loading horses?? I'm looking at the SG solo and kafaru of about the same size. But do I need that big of a pack? Do I need a framed pack?? What you guys think

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have been riding with the BT1 and SG Terminus this season. Both are compressible and sit high off the belt, so they don't interfere with the saddle. Either would treat you well. Given the compressibility, smaller packs might not make much of a difference, but they may have other features you like. Another good day pack for riding horseback is the Eberlestock X2. It isn't super light or super adjustable (torso), but if it does fit you, it has a tough build quality and a lot of nice features.

bbrown

WKR
I do a lot of guiding off horse back and my T3 can ride low enough to pinch my back/ass in the saddle - I could have cinched it up and made it work but since it was day gear only and the horse doing all the heavy lifting I went back to my MR Dragonslayer which rides high enough not to be an issue. I had an X2 and its a solid choice for that style of hunt since it a smaller pack that rides higher.

Do your guide a favor and leave that big frame pack at home as it only causes issues.
attachment.php

Attachments

• LaGa Muzzy '12 121.jpg
    LaGa Muzzy '12 121.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 60