What Pistol?

bbrown

WKR
I have 3 XDs - love em all. Go bang every time, easy to clean and put back together. Top that off with them being affordable and I don't think you can do much better.

OP
IAHNTR

IAHNTR

WKR
What would be a good caliber for a Glock 27 or XD's? I just need it to have a 4" barrel.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
What would be a good caliber for a Glock 27 or XD's? I just need it to have a 4" barrel.

What is the purpose behind you carrying a pistol? This will dictate the caliber.

People= something that will provide some penetration and lots of expansion=45acp, 40 Smith, 357 mag, 9mm, 38 special
Bears= lots of penetration and some or no expansion=45 Colt, 44 mag, 41 mag, or 10mm

The majority of people do not understand that a certain caliber and bullet design that is perfect for killing people won't do squat to a bear.

dotman

WKR
Some of the sidearms mentioned are pretty heavy and bulky pieces... Yes bigger is better when facing danger but only if you have it with you at the time... I have a few large caliber powerful revolvers, because of their weight/bulk I left them at home often..Since I got my Glock 27 I take it everywhere...

My 44mag weighs less then an XD .40 cal.

BuckSnort

WKR
My 44mag weighs less then an XD .40 cal.

Hard to beat that power for the weight ratio of yer 44 mag.. Still a bit on the heavy/bulky side for packing everywhere.. Then again, I'm assuming the OP is looking for a sidearm that packs light and easy.. If that's the case it's hard to beat the slim design of a single stack auto... Having said that, if facing a bear I would much rather heave my 44 mag wheelgun in my hand than my Glock.... But like I said the weapon that is always with you will be the one saving you're life..

JG358

WKR
Nope, Taurus ultralite 444 with 4in barrel. This thing can handle the 305gr hsm bear loads that I have heard lock up the S&W.

We've ran some ridiculously hot loads through the new 329PDs without any issue. Was is one of the newer ones or one of the early models that you heard about locking up with hot loads? We saw lots of the early scandium framed revolvers with issues but havent had any problems from the newer ones.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
We've ran some ridiculously hot loads through the new 329PDs without any issue. Was is one of the newer ones or one of the early models that you heard about locking up with hot loads? We saw lots of the early scandium framed revolvers with issues but havent had any problems from the newer ones.

It was just what I read on other forums and I do believe it was after they first came out. But it was a big reason I went with the taurus over the s&w.