What puffy? OR illuminate/transcendent or sitka?

Hello all, I am getting gear piece by piece for hopefully a Montana rifle hunt this fall. Planning last week of October. I've almost got the rifle and scope completed and have 90% of the clothing. One of the last garment pieces I need is a puffy hoody and pants.
I've narrowed it down to
Sitka kelvin ws hoody
Outdoor research illuminate
Outdoor research transcendent
Mountain Hardware Ghost whisperer
First lite upchoampadre (no idea how to spell it)
Right now I'm leaning towards the illuminate as I can get it for $135 but it will end up being green or blue (not camo). It does say water and wind resistant. The sitka is wind proof with wind stopper technology but weights a lot more and will cost quite a bit more but will match my optifade with everything else I'll be wearing. I got my brother the transcendent for his b day and he will be getting it soon so I can check that out in person at least. Anyone try any of these and compared them?
I guess I like how the first lite and sitka would be able to go over my existing outfit while glassing vs having to take off my outer shell to put on the OR/MH and put shell back on.
I figure if I can save money on this garment, I can spend a little more on the pants and will probably go with the stone glacier pants but no way will I pay that much for the pants and hoody

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I like mountaineering puffys. My favorite is the montbell mirage. Or the Montbell permafrost if it’s going to be frigid. Helios is awesome too.

For hunting brands I think the best is the SG Grumman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTForester

Lil-Rokslider
Montbell makes good stuff. I have had really good luck with their Alpine Light jackets for a summer backpacking puffy. Have been wanting to try the Mirage.
I don't think the Illuminate or Ghost Whisperer are going to be warm enough for your intended use. At least they wouldn't for me. No experience with the others you listed.
I would say that for late October in MT you want at least 5-7 oz of 800 fill down. I'm currently using a Rab Electron for that type of use.
Here are a couple of deals:

OP
TonySkyline
Well I just ordered the OR Tradecraft puffy pants. Could not pass up the price as I had a coupon that somehow stacked with the already 50% off price. Under $100 was a no brainer. Still looking for a jacket/hoody though. I am so confused about the sizing as some companies such as sitka makes them larger to go over your shell for when you are static while others are athletic fit to be used as a base layer. If it's not camo, chances are I'll have to remove my shell and put the puffy on anyway but I probably won't want to be hiking like that so that could become a pita doing that over and over.

LostArra

WKR
I've had an OR Transcendent vest for a number of years and it's a blast furnace. Never leaves my elk pack

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Well I just ordered the OR Tradecraft puffy pants. Could not pass up the price as I had a coupon that somehow stacked with the already 50% off price. Under $100 was a no brainer. Still looking for a jacket/hoody though. I am so confused about the sizing as some companies such as sitka makes them larger to go over your shell for when you are static while others are athletic fit to be used as a base layer. If it's not camo, chances are I'll have to remove my shell and put the puffy on anyway but I probably won't want to be hiking like that so that could become a pita doing that over and over.

How’s you get the order under $100? They’re currently $180 so I’m wondering why coupon knocks of $80+. Thanks.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I had a friends referral coupon code that stacked another 50% so bought for 75% off. They have a 25% (weekend25 I think) that should stack 25% making them 135 if that helps.

same with jacket and pants. Can get the whole set pretty cheap. Check out there baselayers too if that’s of interest.

I had a friends referral coupon code that stacked another 50% so bought for 75% off. They have a 25% (weekend25 I think) that should stack 25% making them 135 if that helps.

same with jacket and pants. Can get the whole set pretty cheap. Check out there baselayers too if that’s of interest.

Thanks. I have their baselayers. Good stuff.

OP
TonySkyline
I think I'm gonna order the OR illuminate hoody just to have for around town and if I think itll be warm enough I'll just bring that. Getting the blue color cuz they are out of green and gray in my size. I'll probably end up getting the new sitka kelvin lite, sitka kelvin ws or SG puffy. The SG looks way more packable and lighter than the kelvin WS but not as good at stopping the wind and water. It's really a toss up between the kelvin WS and the SG. Decisions decisions. Maybe the OR will suffice.

OP
TonySkyline
Well, I got a OR illuminate and a sitka Kelvin lite (new version). I'll probably take the sitka and keep the OR for non hunting use. So far I've tested the OR jacket and it honestly is the nicest puffy I've ever used. I let my son use it as a blanket one night and he passed right out. The next day, it was chilly out and I fell right asleep and woke up at 2am sweating to death, lol. The comfort is out of this world so I'm glad I got it and super glad I got it at the price point I paid! Outdoor research really makes an amazing product. I also ordered a pair of the 3 finger mittens for my elk hunt and a couple pairs of boxer briefs. Also went with a brown ultra light weight rain jacket from them. Packs down to nothing and was less than half the price of any sitka jacket

406unltd

WKR
Sept thru mid Oct I run the kelvin lite hoody. End of Oct thru Nov here in W MT I’ll be running the new kelvin lite down. The fit is great on it and it will be more than enough to get me through all of rifle as it is warmer than my kelvin lite hoody and the KLH worked great thru all of rifle. I have the XL in the new KLDJ and the fit is awesome. I’m 6’ 200# 30.5” draw. Hope this helps some in your search

OP
TonySkyline
Awesome info. That is the same jacket I just got but in a large. The fit seems to be perfect but I havent tried it over a baselayer yet nor have I tried putting my shell over it. I have the timberline jacket and the jetstream for my outer layers to choose from. Also picked up that OR rain jacket but I wont use that unless it starts to pour which I doubt that'll happen in MT in late October but I could be wrong so I'm packing it just in case.

Gbuilder

FNG
I just snagged a used rei magma 850 hoodie 2.0 in army green for about 85 shipped from their used gear site. They got solid reviews and are a steal for under $100. DWR, 13oz total, and 5oz 850 down. Still a few left in various colors/ sizes used.