What R-Value Do I Need For A Sleeping Pad? Therm-A-Rest Vs Klymit

I've been doing quite a bit of research on sleeping pads for some upcoming backpack hunts I have for this fall and have decided I need a new sleeping pad. I have a couple September elk hunts and a November Deer hunt in Idaho(will probably be cold- down to teens approx.) I think I've narrowed it down to the Therm-a-rest Neoair xtherm with an R-value of 5.7 and the Klymit Insulated Static v-lite with an R-value of 4.4.
Obviously I would think the Thermarest is going to be somewhat warmer and is a little lighter(15 ounces vs 19.9 on the Klymit). The thermarest is quite a bit more money $199 vs about $80 for the Klymit. My plan is to run my 0 degree Kelty sleeping bad with either pad. I've used this bag with a closed cell cheapo pad down to about 25 degrees and have slept ok but not great. Either pad I think will be a big upgrade to me. So...

I guess my main question is do I need the extra R-value the Thermarest will provide at the expense of $120 more? Both seems to get good reviews with the Klymit actually sounding more comfortable according to most reviews I've read. Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I’d buy whichever one you like and can afford, then add a Thermarest Z-Lite to use under your inflatable as well as for a glassing pad. I usually cut the Z-life down to 3-5
sections for glassing. Snowy weather...5 sections, warm weather 3. Truck or quad camp I lake the entire Z-lite for tent use. Just the short section for backpacking. Good luck!

The Xtherm is going to provide superior performance. I bought both of these and the Xtherm is more comfortable and looks like it will last longer. The higher r-value obviously helps with the ground temperature.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The Static V Luxe SL with an R Value of 6.5 is what you should be looking at. Thicker, wider, higher R Value than the Xtherm and quieter. I ran an Xtherm for years. Great pad, but you carry a little more weight with the Klymit for more room and less noise.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
BeaverHunter
The Static V Luxe SL with an R Value of 6.5 is what you should be looking at. Thicker, wider, higher R Value than the Xtherm and quieter. I ran an Xtherm for years. Great pad, but you carry a little more weight with the Klymit for more room and less noise.

I like that option but at almost 2 pounds, I didn't seriously consider it. Seems too heavy to me. Am I crazy?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I like that option but at almost 2 pounds, I didn't seriously consider it. Seems too heavy to me. Am I crazy?
Yes. You can carry a 16oz pad that saves weight and you sleep miserably, or you can carry a 2lb pad and sleep like you're at home. If you can't sleep well in the field, you can't hunt and everything else suffers. Boots and sleep gear are two things you make concessions on.

OP
BeaverHunter
Yes. You can carry a 16oz pad that saves weight and you sleep miserably, or you can carry a 2lb pad and sleep like you're at home. If you can't sleep well in the field, you can't hunt and everything else suffers. Boots and sleep gear are two things you make concessions on.

Thanks. So you think in that cold of temps, I'll regret not having something with a very high r-value is what you're saying? You don't think a 4.4 is enough?

Depending on what your current cheapie closed cell is, you might want to pair it up with whatever you end up with for November hunting in ID (or pair it with a little z-rest, at least under your torso, as suggested above). Under most circumstances I think you'd be fine with either in September. IMO, the difference between 4.4 and 5.7 R value is going to be pretty subtle - not dramatic.

FWIW I have a fairly new (about a year old) Xtherm, and it isn't noisy at all to me - so I don't know if they've addressed the issue or if I'm just less sensitive to the very minor crinkle sound if I move around a lot. Was spendy though - I looked pretty hard at the Kymit at the time as I have some of their products which I like quite a bit and feel offer a lot of value. Good luck!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thanks. So you think in that cold of temps, I'll regret not having something with a very high r-value is what you're saying? You don't think a 4.4 is enough?
Do you sleep hot, cold, or average? Some people can run a 4.4 pad year round. Some freeze in midsummer on a 5.7 pad. Using a bag or a quilt?

Beendare

WKR
The insulation in those pads is pretty important...especially running a down bag. The down insulation is compacted on the underside giving you nuthin.

Best pads I've seen is the Exped and the Thermarest Xtherm. Running a waffle pad underneath increases the comfort and R value a lot....a must with the lower quality pads like the BA or skeletonized Klymit stuff.

The Nemo Field pad is right in there as far as insulating value and weight and can be found on sale or clearance for about $90-100.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
The insulation in those pads is pretty important...especially running a down bag. The down insulation is compacted on the underside giving you nuthin.

Best pads I've seen is the Exped and the Thermarest Xtherm. Running a waffle pad underneath increases the comfort and R value a lot....a must with the lower quality pads like the BA or skeletonized Klymit stuff.

What is the most comfortable pad between the Xtherm and the Exped Downmat UL winter? I need good sleep and am going long/wide either way I go. Just wondering about the most comfort, not too concerned about an extra few ounces.

Been running the Klymit Static V long/wide and have been looking at the insulated static v, but it is just not that comfortable to me.

Felix40

WKR
From the range of answers its clear there is no one right answer for all people, as with most things. Ive been running a synmat UL which makes both of those pads look like full size mattresses. R value of 3.3 and a 20 degree quilt have been down into the teens a bunch of times. I wouldnt be afraid to take either of the pads you listed on a november hunt with your 0 degree bag.

OP
BeaverHunter
The Nemo Field pad is right in there as far as insulating value and weight and can be found on sale or clearance for about $90-100.
Hadn't heard of this pad until you brought it up. I can't find a lot of info on it. Is it the Nemo Tensor Field pad? If so, that pad is listed to 10 to 20 degrees and has no R-value rating so I'm very hestitant on anything that doesn't list an R-value as everybody sleeps differently. Same reason I've stayed away from Big Agnes pads, they don't list their R-value, only temp. ranges.

Hadn't heard of this pad until you brought it up. I can't find a lot of info on it. Is it the Nemo Tensor Field pad? If so, that pad is listed to 10 to 20 degrees and has no R-value rating so I'm very hestitant on anything that doesn't list an R-value as everybody sleeps differently. Same reason I've stayed away from Big Agnes pads, they don't list their R-value, only temp. ranges.

That’s it. I understand the hesitation. It’s a risk. But Big Agnes and NEMO are also two pretty reputable brands so it was worth a try IMHO.

@BeaverHunter I own the Therm-a-rest Neoair xtherm rectangular long, and its a great pad. I've used it on over 10 different trips totaling about 30 nights, ranging from 0* F to 55*F, in rocky Sonoran desert AZ to Western Slope CO.

Pro's:
Lightest inflatable with the high R-value on the market (at least when I was shopping).
Small packed size.
It's inflatable. blow it up, either with your lung power, or the handy dandy stuff sack/inflator.
Keeps warm. I can feel the body heat being reflected. I liked how it performed in a 3rd rifle hunt in Western CO.

*EDIT: I would like to say that I run an appropriate quilt or bag relative to the lowest temp on top of the Xtherm and that makes a big difference. I also sleep hot with a high metabolism, but low heart rate (approx 40-45bpm depending on sleeping vs waking rest). Basically, YMMV.

Cons:
If you're a light sleeper, this thing is 'crinkly' to put it lightly. I don't much care after a long day so it's moot to me.
Even with the handy dandy stuff sack inflator, it takes a few minutes.

Questionable's:
I've always used the pad in a tent on, which was on a footprint or tarp, or in a hammock (that was a fun time). Its thin material, but seems durable. I would be iffy to run it on rough ground without some protection between it.

In any event, just in case, get one of these.

I've also run a Big Agnes Hinman. For less than half the price but nearly 2.5x the weight, the Hinman is self-inflating, and quiet/softer, but comes in a heavier, bulkier package for similar R-value. If you don't mind the size/weight increase, this is a more affordable option. Do get some Gear Aid type A patches per BA's Support site.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Last edited: