What rifle for hunting with irons?

OP
MuleyFever
This question was inspired by the proposal for some iron sights only hunts in UT. After posting I remembered that in the back of my safe is a nearly forgotten about M70 chambered in 270. It was my grandfathers rifle. I about forgot it was there because I never really figured I would hunt with it again. It has always worn a scope but the front sight is still there. Maybe add a peep to the rear ring holes?

Some really cool stuff here though that has gotten my interest.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Henry 45/70.

Decades ago the scope on my 30-06 fogged up the first day, so had to take it off. It was on my Remington 700 BDL with iron sights. I shot my elk the next day using the iron sights.

My dad used my grandpa's WWI Springfield 1903 on a couple elk hunts when I was a kid. I still have that rifle, but it hasn't been shot since the early 70's. I still have the box of shells though that my dad used back then.

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
This question was inspired by the proposal for some iron sights only hunts in UT. After posting I remembered that in the back of my safe is a nearly forgotten about M70 chambered in 270. It was my grandfathers rifle. I about forgot it was there because I never really figured I would hunt with it again. It has always worn a scope but the front sight is still there. Maybe add a peep to the rear ring holes?

Good gravy.

Do your load development with a good scope, slap a receiver peep sight on there and go forth and slay. It would warm my heart to be able to shoot anything with my grandpa’s old deer rifle. I’d consider nothing else. M70 in .270 is pretty much perfection…

TaperPin

WKR

To dip your toes in the water, the most bang for the buck has to be the Williams aluminum. The small adjustment range and lack of easy vertical adjustment are the biggest downsides. You’ll see this sight pop up on a lot of muzzloaders.

The other big downside to a side mounted peep, is the stock often has to be altered for the sight to clear, which is avoided with a top mount like this.

88BE6578-364B-4B0A-BD01-3C5CEA24038D.jpeg

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Ha. That’s your answer. Way better than buying anything new.

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
I have their older patridge sight that is bronze. It seems to have been replaced with a white striped blade.

I went with the Skinner sight for the rear though.
I just put the new NECG patridge sight on a 6.5 Creedmoor No.1. It's easier to pick up than the older bronze sight. The bronze sight looks cooler all day long tho.

Attachments

• IMG_2284.jpg
    IMG_2284.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2281.jpg
    IMG_2281.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2282.jpg
    IMG_2282.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 17