What socks are popular here?

RifleBen

FNG
Hello all,

I’ve been a lurker for a little while and admire that unlike a lot of the internet, folks here seem to use their gear hard and develop informed opinions rather than having opinions based on what they purchased already but haven’t used.

So, what kind of boot socks do you guys like for 1-5 night trips? Any specific recommendations for winter/ temperate/ summer? How many pairs do you bring for multi day trips?

212pilot

FNG
I have been using the stone glacier socks and really like them. I haven’t hunted in any cold weather (less than 20 degrees) but for being somewhat thin, I feel they are pretty warm. For a week hunt I’d have 4 pairs. Wet feet suck.

MrSunday

Lil-Rokslider
I wear Darn Tough socks for all things. They are "Unconditionally Guaranteed for Life". You wear them out and they will replace without a receipt needed. Never needed to use the warranty but nice to know it's there. I have thin and thicker sets depending on conditions and boots used etc.. I usually have about 3 pairs for a 5-day hunt. Not the cheapest option but they work great for me.

Last edited:

peterk123

WKR
Darn tough fan as well. The warranty is great. But they fit well. Never ever slip down. This coming from a guy that has a lower leg that is basically the same diameter at the ankle and calf!

Wrench

WKR
Thorlo mountaineering socks. I have been beating on a pair for 10 years now. I can't imagine a better product.

I like DarnTough as well but recently switched over to Grip6. Wear them everyday then use thicker and longer ones for hunting and hiking. If I’m camping at the truck I take a pair for everyday even though I may not switch everyday. Backpacking, I take one pair for every 2-3 days and an extra.

Darn tough full cushion. I had the toe seam start to separate after a couple years of use on two pairs. Filled out the form online, sent them back and they sent me a code for credit on their website for two new pairs. I heard from a buddy that the local backpack supply store is exchanging them there now which would be even better, but it it’ll probably be awhile before I need to try it, they really are darn tough.

505Wapiti

WKR
I wore Darn Tough this year for the first time. Expensive but absolutely worth every penny for me. Highly recommend them.

I like first lite and kennetrek socks for hunting. I've got a few darn toughs too, great socks.

Zappaman

WKR
Go to Colemans Military surplus... buy 100% wool socks for 1/4 the price of Darn Toughs. The green italian 100% wool are my year round boot sock. The thicker (white) Dutch socks (about $15 for THREE pair) are the thickest (and highest wearing) socks I've ever owned. Used them in -14 (-25 wind chill) last goose season in my Danner 800s- WARM!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Smartwool since they came out with their ski/snowboard merino socks in the mid 90s I think it was. Somewhere around 1996 I started wearing them in my snowboard boots and then bought their hiking socks once they came out.

Use them daily and have different length/thicknesses depending on conditions. I’ve tried them all and always go back to the tried and true. Smartwool are the best.

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I wear Darn Tough socks for all things. They are "Unconditionally Guaranteed for Life". You wear them out and they will replace without a receipt needed. Never needed to use the warranty but nice to know it's there. I have thin and thicker sets depending on conditions and boots used etc.. I usually have about 3 pairs for a 5-day hunt. Not the cheapest option but they work great for me.
What he said

*zap*

WKR
I wear wool socks pretty much everyday. 3-4 pair would be good for a week or so....and a heavy pair for sleeping + maybe a pair of gortex socks.