What state for public land dyh

Was looking for ideas. Going on a hunt in a couple of years. What state for the over the counter? Going to be public land

Assuming DYH = DIY?

There are signs pointing toward there being fewer states out west doing a true OTC hunt in 2021 and beyond. My recommendation would be to find a state nearish to wherever you live - Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, etc. and build a couple of points between now and then. You can have an excellent hunt in any of those with fewer than 2 points.

That said, Arizona, Nebraska, Idaho, and Oregon should all have some sort of options when you're wanting to go.

What kind of hunt you looking for as far as physicality, buck potential, number of deer, terrain, etc.? Also, rifle or archery?

OP
W
I would like to do rifle. I think that seeing a lot of deer would be a nice experience with decent Buck potential. Never hunted anywhere besides missouri, so I have no clue on the terrain. Yes do it yourself

OP
W
I am a newbie on hunting out of state so can you explain how to get points

wytx

WKR
This July buy yourself a PP for Wyoming, maybe another one next year and you can draw some areas with 0-2 PP for a decent mule deer hunt.

baz77

WKR
You can still buy points in Utah, Wyoming and Colorado this year ..figure out which state you’d like to hunt and buy points until your ready to go. Each state is different when it comes to buying points some require you to buy a hunting license first others like WyoMing simply let you buy the point. All this info can be found on the states DNR/DOW websites

OP
W
$100 for an annual membership with Huntin Fool or Epic outdoors, etc would be money well spent for someone that doesn’t know where to start. They send you a magazine every month that breaks down every species, every state.
Which one do you suggest?

OP
W
Finding what you are asking for is definitely going to take a lot more homework than asking it on a forum. Buy books about mule deer, subscribe to gohunt or epic, learn the state draw systems you are interested in and then you can ask more direct questions which you will get a lot more help with. The canned " I want to see a lot of deer and shoot a nice buck with my rifle, where should I go" isn't going to net you much on the internet. If you want to send a PM with more direct questions I am happy to help you.
Just looking for ideas to start out with. Not allowed to pm yet when I get that privilege I will contact you

OP
W
You can still buy points in Utah, Wyoming and Colorado this year ..figure out which state you’d like to hunt and buy points until your ready to go. Each state is different when it comes to buying points some require you to buy a hunting license first others like WyoMing simply let you buy the point. All this info can be found on the states DNR/DOW websites
If you had to choose what state would you buy points for?

baz77

WKR
Are buying points expensive?
Depends on the state Colorado requires you to buy a small game license before you can get the point, the license is 82$ Plus the 9$ application fee. Wyoming is a flat rate of 41$ for deer points. Utah requires a license also it ends up being around 80$ for a point but if you time it right you can use one license for 2 years worth of points.

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
If you decide on Nebraska which is otc understand that only 3% of the state is public land. It gets hit really hard the 9 days of rifle, I think if I was going to go public I would plan on Muzzleloader its the whole month of December.

OP
W
If you decide on Nebraska which is otc understand that only 3% of the state is public land. It gets hit really hard the 9 days of rifle, I think if I was going to go public I would plan on Muzzleloader its the whole month of December.
Do they have trespassing fees to hunt private land?

Makaira

FNG
Dont rule out SE Montana-Alot of available land,fair amount of deer,can buy over counter doe tags,and a decent 4 point is very doable.