What to do with a pre war Model 70 Winchester

ElPollo

WKR
That gun and scope combo is probably worth around $2000-2500. It’s a piece of history. If you don’t want to use it and love it as is, pass it on to someone who will appreciate it.

I have several 70s and most are pre or very early post war. The post war receiver is slotted ( like a mouser for clip loading). You can only get one screw hole placed in the rear bridge naming for a pretty weak mounting system. The pre war action is definitely the best of the 70s. I couldn’t see the serial number. It is a pre war action based upon the clover leafy tang and safety and fine ( 20 lpi) checkering found on the stock. I’d check the underside of the barrel near the boss mark. That will tell you the year the barrel was stamped. If the all line up with pre war dates great. If not it is a transition period ( early post war). At that time Win was using up all the left over pre war parts with newer barrels and other parts. Winchester 70s originality is not always easy to judge. The catalog was a std offering. You could place an order from a list of options. I have std rifles that are std in every way except they have Supergrade sling swivels. Go figure. At any rate I agree with many other posters. Don’t modify the rifle to suit your shooting or taste. Either keep it like it is and shoot it ( gently) or sell it and buy something new if you really way a shooter. These old rifles, especially pre wars, are hand fitted and hand lapped to shoot and they will. The only mod I’d make if I wanted to shoot it would be to take the scope off ( gently), plug the rear holes and put a 22g original sight back on it and shoot it at whatever range you feel comfortable with that setup. I’m not advising it, but the pre war actions make fantastic custom rifles if you can find a smith who will work with the 70s conical breach ( many won’t). All the best however you go. You’ve got a jewel and a piece of history. Treat it accordingly.

Last edited:

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
WOW !!!
Thank you for sharing.
To me there is nothing like handling a pre-64 Mod 70, and a pre-war is just plain an incredible piece of lore and heritage.

As the old saying goes "They are not making any more of them".
Please if you can, do not change a thing, and take it hunting !
And if you ever get the notion to part ways with it, this modest collector would love to talk to you about that!

I'm not s firearm collector at all and my initial thought was to put a modern scope and stock on it and make a more useful rifle

OP, before you make any decisions, please consider the context of what you've got here. Iconic rifle, iconic and rare era, chambered in an iconic cartridge right when it was really first starting to become a thing. Any mods done were likely done by the owner pre-war as well. It was also a relatively expensive gun, on the higher end before you get into custom guns, or factory semi-custom super grade types of guns. It's uncommon and desirable from a dozen different angles.

To think about it in a different way, if this were a car, you were just gifted a very uncommon and desirable 1930 V16 Cadillac - and a barn find of one that is essentially untouched for almost a century. In excellent condition. Not some run-of-the-mill Model A Ford, that some kid already modded in the 1950s, that's been out back for a few decades.

If it had already been modded, then I'd say there isn't much in terms of historical value or collectors appreciation arguing against doing what you want with it, especially just tapping for a new scope and slapping a new plastic stock on it.

But an iconic, rare, and almost entirely untouched barn-find?

That's the difference for me. It'd be like swapping a corvette engine or a Tesla's battery pack and motors into a 1930 Cadillac to "make it more useful".

At the end of the day it's your gun, but if you have options and don't need to make it a more useful gun, maybe keep in mind that there are others out there who would absolutely cherish that gun as-is, because it's untouched.

TaperPin

WKR
Essentially you have the original 32 Ford on the left. Nothing wrong with keeping it like that, max speed is 60 mph going down hill with a tail wind, or you can turn it into the car on the right.

I really like old vintage guns, but even better are old guns with accurate barrels, carbon fiber stocks and the latest scope.

Keep the original stock, scope and barrel - you can always put it back to original. Just having the parts all together so it can sit and never get used seems like a waste. The thing is, guys like shooting guns like this, so they don’t usually put it back to original.

You could even ask your son, or yourself, which car would be more fun to own, but we all know the answer to that one.

C2C0C014-0731-4B46-9E56-B52F07880E02.jpeg8EDBA73E-B09F-4F19-975B-B32281194A3A.jpeg

SDHNTR

WKR
Drill and tap for modern rings. Keep the stock as is but probably add strap on cheek riser. Then shoot the shit out of it. Superb rifle that was made to shoot, not sit in a safe. Ol’ Jack will grin from above
Absolutely do not do this!

Do not modify it! Shoot and hunt it as is, or sell it to someone who will. You own something to be treasured by someone.

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
Meh. It ain’t made of gold. It was made to hunt. Different strokes for different folks

Sweet gun, enjoy it whatever you decide

Fowl Play

WKR
@ChasinDoes whats the nature of the gift? It’s a beautiful rifle. Honestly if someone knew what they were giving you, they might be more offended you modified it. Then if you had just sold it.

I would not modify that rifle. Either put it on display, hunt with it as is or with open sights, or sell it and get a very nice modern gun to do with as you please.

OP
C

ChasinDoes

Lil-Rokslider
The gun was given to me by a good family friend. It was his uncles wife's dad's gun, who is more than likely the original owner.

I will take the stock off and see what year is stamped on the bottom of the barrel

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Post up a photo of the year stamp when you do. If you don’t mind posting it a photo of the serial would be great too. I can tell you a lot about it with that info. Also, the underside of the bolt should have the serial number of the rifles receiver hand inscribed on it and they should agree ( more than likely they do in its condition)

SDHNTR

WKR
The gun was given to me by a good family friend. It was his uncles wife's dad's gun, who is more than likely the original owner.

I will take the stock off and see what year is stamped on the bottom of the barrel

When you reinstall that stock, do not over tighten it! Don’t crack that gem!

mrolen

Lil-Rokslider
Keep it as is you will regret molesting it later. I agree with above if you want to hunt with it try the scope of it sucks use the irons kill a few animals and throw it back in the safe and keep passing it on.

OP
C

ChasinDoes

Lil-Rokslider
Keep it as is you will regret molesting it later. I agree with above if you want to hunt with it try the scope of it sucks use the irons kill a few animals and throw it back in the safe and keep passing it on.
Yea I'm only 32 years old so the thought of maybe having this gun in 30+ years and give it to my kids someday sounds pretty awesome. I also like custom modern guns so the temptation to modify this one at first was pretty high

elkguide

WKR
I can feel the stress and pressure that old gun is putting you through. Therefore, I will be "kind" and gladly store it in my gun safe so you don't have to fret over what to do! I guarantee that I will not modify it BUT I will also guarantee that I will shoot it for you, but not with the old ammo.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Maybe a little history might help your decision:

.270 Jack Article

Pay close attention to the rifle in the elk photo. That old guy did a LOT of damage with a rifle like you have in your hands.

IMG_0541.jpeg

OP
C

ChasinDoes

Lil-Rokslider
Post up a photo of the year stamp when you do. If you don’t mind posting it a photo of the serial would be great too. I can tell you a lot about it with that info. Also, the underside of the bolt should have the serial number of the rifles receiver hand inscribed on it and they should agree ( more than likely they do in its condition)
Took the stock off today after work and looks like the barrel was may is 42' the stamping on the barrel doesn't look like it was hit very hard so it's difficult to read.

ca1c30004da72f91de08bc7471d17586.jpg
c1d68d0560b4dc1701c76f60d04c6093.jpg

You have a pretty rare bird there. Winchester suspended civilian arm manufacturing during the war years and catalogued very few serial numbers during that period. You have one of only a few hundred during the war. I’ll check when I get home on Monday to verify the year for the receiver. Could easily pre ww2. I have rifles that are 37-40 and 45-49 with pre war actions. I have one with 2 digit serial and one with 3 digit. The cold rust blue on yours looks nice. The used a different bluing process with the pre wars ( that’s why they’ve stood up so well).

Your serial number has a date of mfg of 1946. It is with more than likely a very early post war that was assembled with more than likely carried over pre war parts.

grfox92

WKR
Put it in the safe as is and admire it from time to time, or sell it and buy a firearm that you will get use out of.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk