What to do with inaccurate rifle

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Christensen Traverse 25th anniversary 300 Win Mag that shoots like utter crap. Bought it used, noticed it had some problems (action was very loose, bedding problems, heaby bolt etc) and took it to the gunsmith who rebed it, did some other stuff and it shot better at about 1.5” with some Freedom Arms ammo. Figured we should get better results with better ammo.

Took it out today and best was about 1.5-2 with Barnes 180gr TTSX VorTX. Nosler Accubonds were slightly worse and Hornady 200 ELDX was attrocious. Took one shot with a Barnes 200 gr and it was so far off target I decided just to stop.

Im assuming (and have not contacted Christensen) that I cannot send it back at this point. Should probably check.

What do you do with a rifle that just does not shoot? Selling it off to someone else doesn’t seem right. Spending more money just seems like a waste as well.

28795B77-9226-4AEB-9A88-DDD9DEBCA51E.jpeg

jimh406

WKR
It is possible but unlikely the barrel is worn out. The groups look a little strange to me. Some are strung horizontal and some vertical.

Do you have a quality scope/rings/base on it that have stayed tight? Can you normally shoot better and have you shot magnums?

Are your shooting for group, switching ammo and jumping right into another group? Anytime I change ammo, I like to shoot 4-5 rounds before I try for a decent group. It can affect your accuracy.

Rebarrel, sell it with disclaimer, or maybe cut down the barrel and use it as a brush gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rclouse79

WKR
It seems like you could sell the rifle with those groups disclosed to a minute of deer guy, although maybe not for the price you would want. I am always leery of buying a used gun. It doesn’t seem like tack drivers make their way onto the market very often.

I worked behind the counter of a big box sporting goods store thru college. Go in there and see what they will give you for it. Probably the same thing the fella before you did and you ended up with it. It happens buying used guns, I saw a lot of crap come thru that other employees gave way to much money for used to someone trying to unload it.

Big hint, go in the evenings when the young new employee is working the counter and go in knowing more than them about the gun. They will give you a better price than the vet employee that actually knows what he is looking for. Expect 50% of book value.

If the 50% of book value has you at more of a loss than a new barrel… get a new barrel.

KenLee

WKR
Run some cheap Hornady Whitetail 165 gr through it. Bet they'll be close enough to an inch group that a 250 yard max deer hunter would be proud to own the rifle.

OP
F

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
It is possible but unlikely the barrel is worn out. The groups look a little strange to me. Some are strung horizontal and some vertical.

Do you have a quality scope/rings/base on it that have stayed tight? Can you normally shoot better and have you shot magnums?

Barrel has ~ 200 rounds through It. NF NX8 2.5-20 with Seekins rings. Had the smith clean and remount everything.

I have a twin to this in 308 that shoots into 1/2 MOA. I have a 308 Fieldcraft that is similar. This is my only magnum but I don’t think I am doing anything drastically different, although it is possible.

OP
F

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
Are your shooting for group, switching ammo and jumping right into another group? Anytime I change ammo, I like to shoot 4-5 rounds before I try for a decent group. It can affect your accuracy.

Fair assessment. Shooting 3, then hanging out for a few minutes in bewilderment at the accuracy then moving on to other ammo as I just don’t want to keep wasting it.

ChrisAU

WKR
I wouldn't worry about that last one being "off target", without being zeroed with that round you can't glean any useful information from that. It may put 5 more of those into that same hole - that would probably change your mind ha. Not likely, but it could.

kickemall

WKR
My first call would be to Christensen Arms and see what they have to say then move on to some of the above if they're not willing to help. I just had my first dealings with their customer service, on a new gun, and it was excellent.

I would try cleaning it first, don’t trust others to clean either. I’ve found with a lot of rifles that are “clean” I’ll go in behind them with a bore scope and see copper left behind or hard carbon deposits which usually don’t come out with normal cleaning solvents. Example, I have a friend with a bergara 300 prc rifle. With factory Hornady 212 ammo it shoots consistent .5”-.6” groups and has done well grouping at 600yds. His accuracy declines fairly quickly and always comes back after I give it a good clean. Some barrels foul out quickly, once clean they are accurate but due to the manufacturing process they just foul out quickly…just the way it is.

Bore scope will be able to tell of your barrel is actually clean or not. Also, if your rifle is bound to be a shooter then it’s not going to be able to recover from 1.5-2” groups with other ammo. 1” I’d see with the right ammo or hand loads, not sure what your expectations are with it. I have another friend with 2 Christensen arms ridgelines that are grouping around 1/2” with hammer bullets and hand loads. They weren’t bad shooters before that though.

I’ve had my own custom rifle go sideways on me from hard carbon deposits mid season…found out the hard way. I cleaned it often but big improved magnums and dirty powder catch up to you eventually.

Kind of a long post but to sum it up, most rifles I have played with improve after they are confirmed clean. Most have hand loads through them which helps. I have had some that didn’t improve much and at that point it is what it is.

Sgtusmc14

Lil-Rokslider
does it have their terrible brake on it? have seen 2 that shot like shit and when that brake was removed they shot well with a bare muzzle and with an APA brake

KenLee

WKR
When I buy a rifle, I take it to the range and shoot it with decent factory ammo. If it doesn't show promise by shooting a respectable group for that cartridge and rifle, I sell it. Spending good money after bad is a hole I don't go down any more.
I try to keep Hornady Whitetail and Remington Corelocts in every popular caliber.
Not necessarily what I start with or hunt with, but if a rifle won't group either, it has issues.