What to do

I have 8-10 days of hunting time available. I also have an general archery tag for eastern OR.
I can hunt anytime between 28 Aug up to Sep 20th. I’ve only hunted a small portion of the area and never with a bow. Just started attempting to learn to call with a diaphragm. I will be traveling with a small camper to remain mobile if need be, but also have the capability to bivy. I am diving deep into the UEH elk course and am drowning in valuable info. I wanted to see what everyone’s opinion would be on when to hunt during that period. Do I go during early season, or pre rut into peak rut time frame? I have a few large areas that will take some time to comb over and a handful of small areas as back ups ( plan B thru F). Any help would be greatly appreciated, first hand knowledge of the region would be extremely appreciated as well. Thanks for taking the time to read the post.

Guess I should add that while I would love to harvest a heard bull, I would be happy with a satellite or even a cow around day 7 or 8. I want to try to learn as much as possible on this hunt while of course harvesting some meat.

Can't explain why but the best calling days always seem to include September 19, 20 & 21.
I like talking with them so the later in September you can go is when I would be there.

If Sept 20th is the last day you can be out, I'd hunt the 10th through the 20th. Should catch the pre-rut and get just into the rut. Every year is a bit different on timing, but these dates should get you into some bugling. Bugles make that whole finding the elk thing a hell of a lot easier.

Have fun.

Jeremy

Guess I should add that while I would love to harvest a heard bull, I would be happy with a satellite or even a cow around day 7 or 8. I want to try to learn as much as possible on this hunt while of course harvesting some meat.
If you just want to harvest meat, you should be happy with a satellite bull on day 1. Fill your freezer then watch elk activity the rest of your days if need be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just looking at numbers, average archery unit has about a 12-15% success. The odds are not in your favor, so passing up on a calf on opening morning needs to be thought about because that could very well be your one and only chance. Keep that in mind, archery elk hunting is very tough and most people will not take an elk home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sneaky makes a solid point. Don't pass up any opportunity you get even at a cow you just found in her bed. You learn to kill elk by killing elk. Any elk.

Jeremy

I was going after herd bulls once too. Then a 500 pound cow stepped out and I never thought twice about shooting her. You wont either.

Well gents these are very valid points and I am sure what is on paper right now would definitely change the moment an opportunity actually (hopefully) arises.

For the record as it stands I am leaning on the 10-20th of the September. I am trying to compile a list of questions to ask for the regional biologist but may eventually put them on the forum. I have gotten mixed feedback on the actual rut timing for the area. A few people are saying early August others are saying early September. I know the end of September is generally speaking an estimate, but a part of me thinks that hunters are basing this information off of what they are hearing as opposed to what they are seeing.

Keep in mind when talking to locals there are hunters and there are killers, weigh each bit of information appropriately.

Back