What to eat while truck camping

Fordguy

Instant oatmeal for breakfast, I dont like to spend time in camp in the morning so fast is good. Take jerky, granola, trail mix with some fruit and chocolate chips for a lunch and snack. Back at camp after dark, tortillas- they don't take up much space and you can put anything in a tortilla. Same rationale for precooked pasta and rice with your precooked or raw meat selection for dinner. They work with most anything flr a quick meal. Instant potatoes can also be decent, but they do need a little help. Pack seasonings and spices according to your preference.
My grandpa's idea of camp food was a case of the cheapest pork and beans known to mankind. Lol. Not a pleasant camp in the evenings for the ears or the nose.

eddielasvegas

Instant oatmeal for breakfast, I dont like to spend time in camp in the morning so fast is good. Take jerky, granola, trail mix with some fruit and chocolate chips for a lunch and snack. Back at camp after dark, tortillas- they don't take up much space and you can put anything in a tortilla. Same rationale for precooked pasta and rice with your precooked or raw meat selection for dinner. They work with most anything flr a quick meal. Instant potatoes can also be decent, but they do need a little help. Pack seasonings and spices according to your preference.
My grandpa's idea of camp food was a case of the cheapest pork and beans known to mankind. Lol. Not a pleasant camp in the evenings for the ears or the nose.

Newtosavage

Curious what everyone likes to eat while hunting 4-6 nights camping near the truck. I have had issues with Mt.House causing constipation like dont go for days issues. Make fun but any help is appreciated. I have tried a few different meal brands, I assume elevation is part of it. And salty preservatives is the other.
I eat canned stew/soup/chowder every night at my elk base camp. Never had an issue. I am wary these days of Mountain House meals however, for the very reason you stated. Darn shame since I like them and they are so convenient and trouble free.

But if I have the truck nearby, it's canned meals for me. Warm them up and eat them right out of the pot. That way I only have the pot and a spoon to clean each night before bedtime.

For breakfast - it's the same every day - 2 pkgs of instant oatmeal with raisins and walnuts thrown in. That gets me to about 10:00 a.m. or so then I'll throw down a granola bar to take me to lunch.

Lunch on the mountain is the same every day. Spam single on flatbread, a piece of fruit and some peanut M&M's. Then I may eat another granola bar or jerky in the afternoon on my way to camp.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This has worked great for me for 5 straight years for up to 12 straight days, usually around 9k feet.

Burnt Reynolds

I do a lot of truck camping year-round. In fact, son and I are leaving tomorrow for 5 days with my buddies and their boys. Single burner stove, and a cast iron pan is key. I'll cook anything that doesn't require silverware or multiple pans. Small pizza's, burgers, breakfast anything, burritos, sausage, bacon wrapped chicken thighs, T-bones, on and on.

I do a lot of prep at home and that helps quite a bit. I bought 45qt & 65qt RTIC coolers and it's remarkable how excellent they are. Not only keeping ice, but organization just makes life easy.

That said, when in elk camp I'm usually in a hurry to get going in the morning and will grab a granola bar, maybe quickly fry an egg with bacon bits. Hunt all day, usually just make a big ass sammich in the evening. Though, particularly if celebrating success, I'll cook up a feast.

I save the mtn house for when I'm spiking out away from the truck. It's easy to eat well, and do so in a simple manner when you're truck camping.

Newtosavage

Tortallini requires no refridgeration and goes with any meat/veggie combo.
I usually have it for 3 meals, moose italian sausage first night, smoked salmon second night,
leftover veggies/meat third night.
That looks pretty good. I don't like to mess with coolers on any trips anymore. That looks like something I'd try though.

Hill Difficulty

Can cover the gamut (fish, meat, veggies) with one of these $25 Char Broil grills + a roll of tinfoil, oil, salt, pepper, and a fork. Some memorable food experiences will happen around these things. :)

IMG_7826.jpg

Last edited: