What was you American vehicle experience that made you buy a Japanese vehicle?

I can’t say I’ve had a bad experience with any domestic vehicle I’ve owned. The most troublesome I would say was a 2006 F350 6.0 diesel.

But all of the domestic vehicles just don’t hold up long term. Ever since I quit flipping vehicles every 3 years we have had:

2001 Acura TL - traded on a 2005 Honda Pilot. Traded at 100k miles.

2005 Honda Pilot traded in 2010 for a used 2008 Toyota Camry.

2008 Toyota Camry - Sold to my daughter with 288,000 miles on it in 2021 Bought used 2013 Lexus IS 250. Daughter still has the Camry with 310,00 miles on it, daily driver. IS250 is my commuter and about to hit 150k miles.

2020 Lexus RX350L. Bought just before COVID. Plan to keep at least 10 years.

My current truck is a 2012 RAM 2500 Cummins diesel. Has 220k on it. Drivetrain is solid but seats are tearing up and has rattles/squeaks. No plans to get rid of it. I refuse to pay what they are asking for new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WKR

WKR
Please……..Toyota has vehicle with more US sourced parts than any of the big 3.

There is no such thing as a US made vehicle anymore, at least not wholly. Most parts are sourced from China and assembled in Mexico or Canada.

Pretty sure my 06 duramax was made in America buddy20221110_151229.jpg

2010 F150 5.4 - 80k just tires/oil/filters
2012 F150 5.0 (x2) 75k ea just tires/oil/filters
2014 Silverado 5.3 - (80k miles) tires/oil/filters and some ECU replacement issue that made it drive like the transmission was going
2016 F150 3.5 ecoboost 135k just tire/oil/filters/fluids/brake rotors and pads - sold because the internet makes it seem like i might have been in for major cost upgrades.
2018 F150 3.5 ecoboost (company truck-60k miles) - oil/filters/tires

Tried to go to a new tundra because the internet said so but I just couldn't get myself to like how they drive as much as a new F150. hoping the '22 3.5 ecoboost keeps the good streak alive.

Jap cars and trucks still seem like big toys to me. Great for other people but I’d never own one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For cars that is definitely all in your head.

The materials, fit , finish and overall build quality is far better than anything from domestics.

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
7e06d8b712fbf28ec4135c85d2a3c7c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jpr778

FNG
Haven’t bought Japanese yet, but my next truck most certainly will be. Currently have a 2019 Silverado Trail boss with less than 33k miles on it. I bought it used with 14k on it. In the last year I’ve had 12 thousand dollars in warranty work done to it. I’m lucky I bought a 100k mile bumper to bumper. I haven’t had to pay a dollar out of pocket so far.

NH Digger

FNG
Have owned a few Toyotas and a Nissan and they were good, nothing special but nothing bad. Currently have a 16 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 that I bought with 15k miles on it. Its been very reliable with 70K on it currently and it spends most of its days doing truck stuff and towing.

My biggest grip with Toyota is while they may not break too often they still will break at times and the enginering and process to replace stuff is a massive pain. On my 6.0 most things can be replaced on the side of the road quickly if needed....not likely to be able to do that on a Toyota.

While I have zero complaints about my Chevy (its my first American vehicle) I probably would own a Toyota IF they made a 3/4 ton truck as that's what I need.

Would be interesting to see how many american rigs are made in canada an mexico. And how many jap rigs are made in america
Lots of American brands shifted to Mexico.

For Toyota it depends on the model and trim/options within a model sometimes. For example, Highlanders are made in their Canada plant unless they have 3rd row. On the other hand, all 4Runners are made in Japan. I believe Tundras are mostly made in a plant in the USA, but I could be wrong.

You can determine this by looking at the VIN and seeing if it starts with a J or not. If no J, not manufactured in Japan.

From personal/family experience, the domestic 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks will serve you well. However, the half ton segment can be questionable.

My farm truck is a '94 F250 extended cab long bed with 460 and 5 speed. It's a beast, and I love it for doing chores and hauling deer.

My daily driver is a '19 RAM Limited with 4-corner air ride. So far has been incredible truck. It has around 75k, and I bought with 45. Knock on wood, no issues so far and I've taken it some places it shouldn't have gone.

Sheepgate picked up my 2000 Silverado extended cab this spring. by 2010 it had the all too familiar GM rocker, cab corner, and quarter panel rot. Drivetrain, 4wd (floor mount), and that little 4.8 V8 were excellent. Damn body and frame rusted out well before its end of life. Brakes and brake lines were a constant pain in the butt.

Last edited:
I got bored and got on craigslist a while back. Ended up picking up a '93 f350 460/5spd single cab for not much more than the axles are worth. Fun truck, not sure what I'm going to do with it:ROFLMAO:

I own a driveline shop. What I find interesting, is that Dodge is by far the most common rig to come in to my shop, followed by fords. I almost never see a chevy come in. Granted there is a lot more dodge and ford work rigs around here, and you rarely see a chevy working in the woods.

The toyota stuff that gets drug in here normally has been to hell an back:LOL:
The previous owner of my f250 was an Italian immigrant. He and a buddy drove it across the country and up to Alaska with a bed campter. To improve the ride he had air bags installed in the back. OTW back, he got T-boned by a cable car in San Francisco. LOL! The camper was gone when I bought it (Craigslist), and it rides like a dump truck when its empty. However, you can fill that long bed with wood or what have you, and it glides down the road with the cruise on like a dream!

Lando

WKR
I had a Dodge Cummins 4x4 with the death wobble. Totally freaked me and my family out when it would start shaking terribly at highway/interstate speeds when you hit a bump just right.

Had a Dodge Stratus Sedan, it sucked, had constant problems with it and had to replace it at 170k.

I had two dodge minivans, replaced the engine 2x on one, the other one had a constant, unfixable transmission fluid leak that would ruin the starter, alternator etc., it also had constant battery cable corrosion issues and the battery cable was part of the wiring harness for the entire vehicle. Got rid of both at just over 100k miles.

I bought a Nissan Frontier and later a 2019 Tundra to replace the 4x4. Never a problem with either one.

I bought a Camry to replace the Stratus, zero problems with it.

I bought a Sienna to replace the dodge minivans, put 220,000 miles on it so far and haven't had a single problem with it. I won't ever own another Chrysler product, even if someone paid me to do it.

I've only owned Japanese so far, but for what it's worth I owned a 2014 Tacoma 4x4 (V6 auto, SR5 Package) and put 175K miles on it with nothing beyond routine maintenance that wasn't my own fault (a wreck and tearing a CV boot off roading). OUTSTANDING vehicle. I sold it when I deployed which was a huge mistake.

I am currently planning to lease a Wrangler 4xe Willys to ditch this trash 2008 Outback I'm currently driving, but that's partially to tide me over until the new Land Cruiser has a few model years to iron out the bugs.