What will Meateater buy next??

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
Lol. You guys are so silly. You cringe when someone wears a hunting brand.... lmao

What can someone wear to make you not cringe?

If I’m at a gathering with 100 people and someone has a Sitka, Kuiu, FL hat on I do the opposite of cringe. I figure now there’s a guy I should talk to. I don’t assume he acts just like Steve Rinella. Lol

Outdoorsmans sure are a fickle bunch.

I

I don't trust anyone wearing a camo hat usually they have something to hide

grfox92

WKR
Lol. You guys are so silly. You cringe when someone wears a hunting brand.... lmao

What can someone wear to make you not cringe?

If I’m at a gathering with 100 people and someone has a Sitka, Kuiu, FL hat on I do the opposite of cringe. I figure now there’s a guy I should talk to. I don’t assume he acts just like Steve Rinella. Lol

Outdoorsmans sure are a fickle bunch.

I
That's not what I said. I said I cringe when I see someone wearing a Hush hat......because I don't care for one of the guys from Hush.

On the contrary, I have met and had good conversations with people because they were wearing a Kifaru or Stone Glacier Shirt, that typically tells me that they are a well informed go hard hunter, maybe not, but more likely then a clueless kid who's a fanboy of a bunch YouTube stars.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
You are correct here. I am a huge MeatEater fan. Mainly the podcast, haven't seen all the episodes of the TV show.

I don't own a singe piece of MeatEater branded gear, and I likely never will. .

I don't identify with MeatEater as who I am. I just like the content.

Everytime I see someone wearing a Hush hat or shirt I cringe. Specifically because I think of Eric Chesser's rat tail, and ears tucked into his flat brim, and I flat out don't like the guy......I don't dislike Hush per se, but I don't want people pre judging me as an Eric Chesser fan because I'm wearing a Hush hat.

Same goes for MeatEater, I don't even dislike any of those guys but I don't want to personally identify with their brand. That's just not for me. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Omg...Eric chesser...I had blocked that dude out of my mind completely. There's also the dudes from the BRO crew who cry all the time about "the brotherhood of the elk woods"....blech.

It's amazing how effectively you can block people you don't care for... makes life so much better!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: OMB

grfox92

WKR
Omg...Eric chesser...I had blocked that dude out of my mind completely. There's also the dudes from the BRO crew who cry all the time about "the brotherhood of the elk woods"....blech.

It's amazing how effectively you can block people you don't care for... makes life so much better!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I don't want to rag on the guy too bad it's not my style but he rubs me the wrong way big time.

I really enjoyed the first season of Born and raised outdoors. The second season and third season never really caught my attention.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
That's not what I said. I said I cringe when I see someone wearing a Hush hat......because I don't care for one of the guys from Hush.

On the contrary, I have met and had good conversations with people because they were wearing a Kifaru or Stone Glacier Shirt, that typically tells me that they are a well informed go hard hunter, maybe not, but more likely then a clueless kid who's a fanboy of a bunch YouTube stars.
I take it back. I just looked up Eric Chesser. Wow that dude is hard to deal with. I had no idea who he was.

I’ll cringe for now on when I see someone wearing a Hush hat.

Gobbler36

WKR
You are correct here. I am a huge MeatEater fan. Mainly the podcast, haven't seen all the episodes of the TV show.

I don't own a singe piece of MeatEater branded gear, and I likely never will. .

I don't identify with MeatEater as who I am. I just like the content.

Everytime I see someone wearing a Hush hat or shirt I cringe. Specifically because I think of Eric Chesser's rat tail, and ears tucked into his flat brim, and I flat out don't like the guy......I don't dislike Hush per se, but I don't want people pre judging me as an Eric Chesser fan because I'm wearing a Hush hat.

Same goes for MeatEater, I don't even dislike any of those guys but I don't want to personally identify with their brand. That's just not for me. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Same here and yeah sometimes I do cringe when it’s camo because when you think you have to wear your cool new dry earth first lite jacket or camo jacket out on the town to show how hardcore backcountry, steep and deep hunter and angler you are it rubs me a the man bun, Instagram crowd.

if it’s your thing more power to ya, my momma always said if you have to draw attention to yourself your just making up for the lack of something else. 😂

bcv

Lil-Rokslider
If you're good at what you do then you get attention from those who hold the cash.
Hard to turn down cash with the dream of hunting and fishing every day of the rest of your life.

But then... the cash holders turn what you started into maximizing profits at the customers expense and taking the mystique out of the reasons we do what we do.

Basically, non-hunting non-understanding corporations making decisions for stockholders and breaking new quarter records... and the reason why so many dislike anyone who goes Hollywood.
They sell out.
...and the brand they started ends up looking nothing like what most were drawn to in the beginning.

BXB77

FNG
Stone Glacier would be a bit redundant since they already own First Lite and SG seems to have set themselves up pretty nicely into hunting clothing. Not sure they would want to buy SG just for the packs and trash a very nice apparel brand at the same time.

Schnee's doesn't really make sense to me either. But for no particular reason.

I feel like a merger between them and Weatherby is more likely than the two above.

Seems like First Lite is just ripping off Stone Glacier with the zip off base layer and new side zip pants

BXB77

FNG
I actually think first lite has gotten better since ME bought them. They used to have horrible inventory issues. Never had anything in stock. Last free things I ordered were shipped right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like First Lite is just ripping off Stone Glacier with the zip off base layer and new side zip pants

Kuiu was the first major company doing this I'm aware of and any company who hasn't followed suit yet is missing the boat. I don't know if Sitka's pride is in the way because of the bad Hairston/Sitka breakup or what but i don't really look at their pants past the ascent pant because of the lack of hip zips.

Poser

WKR
thought kuiu was the first in the hunting industry to bring in zip offs

I bought a pair of KUIU zip offs back in 2014. The SG baselayers pants have a a zipper but aren’t actually zipoff. I am shocked that non hunting outdoor brands haven’t picked up on this design. Backcountry ski partners ask me about my zip offs every time I use them.

As far as vented zippers on pants, dozens of brands use these designs including OR, BD, etc. the idea that it is a “rip off” is laughable as it’s a non patented design and SG is probably the most recent brand addition to use this design.

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
If you're good at what you do then you get attention from those who hold the cash.
Hard to turn down cash with the dream of hunting and fishing every day of the rest of your life.

But then... the cash holders turn what you started into maximizing profits at the customers expense and taking the mystique out of the reasons we do what we do.

Basically, non-hunting non-understanding corporations making decisions for stockholders and breaking new quarter records... and the reason why so many dislike anyone who goes Hollywood.
They sell out.
...and the brand they started ends up looking nothing like what most were drawn to in the beginning.

It’s not just that hunting is being “sold out”, it’s the fact that as hunting or fishing is growing in popularity, the quality of the experience for the average guy who participates declines. This doesn’t happen when money gets dumped into sports, for example. As a spectator, it makes no difference. I love F1, but my enjoyment of it doesn’t really change due to popularity.

but with an activity like hunting where an increasing number of people seek what is essentially a finite resource, pressure goes up, places are more crowded, and the overall experience of doing a thing is not as rewarding. Sure, the money may give us better clothes or gear, but has it made the actual activity better? I don’t think it has. Camping has also been negatively affected.

i got introduced to Rinella way before the first show even aired. I liked that model: a guy who looks like me, thinks like me, has an appreciation for writing like me out there hunting. Sometimes winning, sometimes losing. I liked the Outside articles and the early books. Back then I do not think the barstool sports model was the plan.

I cannot connect with what he does now at all - it is antithetical to where it all started and that difference MADE the difference. It no longer does.

before someone says “then why do you still watch?” It’s because if I made these comments and said I never watched I’d be accused of making comments on things about which I do not know.

boom

WKR
wait wut? Meateater bought First Lite? wow.. i don't follow who owns what..

faack..Rinella is rich as hell? well done dude! well done

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
My money is on a digital acquisition to diversify the portfolio - OnX or BaseMap. OnX is MT based so that would also make sense. Something relatively established and safe.

ktowncamo

WKR
Didn't know ME bought FHF Gear. Is this why there has been a hitch in production? I have been waiting for them to come back in stock but it appears it won't happen this hunting season.
FHF was having issues with their production pre-ME buyout. They were trying to move from one production facility to another to meet product demands and challenges with production. That's why FHF stopped selling to any of their dealers was to make that transition...which was convenient for the transition to a ME owned FHF to maintain D2C model. Paul and co at FHF are solid folks. Good for them I say.