What would you do?

I just finished my first elk hunt a few weeks ago. Didn't get one, but learned a lot and had a great time. Been so busy with work since I haven't been able to post. However, I wanted to throw a scenario at you all to see what you would do:

While on your first elk hunt, there is an outfitter camp not too far from yours. You notice that they are glassing the tree line across the river from your camp each evening. There is plenty of mountain, so for the first couple of days, you avoid the area they are glassing, as it was pretty clear that they were not happy that you were there, and they are running a business after all. However, after a day of hunting, you and your hunting buddy decide to pull out the binos to see what the camp guides are looking at every evening. That's when you notice 3 distinct feeders that they had set up, and realize that they were just checking their feeders each night for any activity.

What would you do? Do you turn them in? Let it go? Say something to them?

If this was my 10th western hunt or something, I might have had a better idea on a course of action, but being new made it a lot less clear. Either way, it didn't sit well with me.

Where is it at? If anything I would call it in. I've called in people before, no shame in it at all. I believe its the right thing to do.

Yeah it defiantly sucks for the clients. I agree with it not being hunting too. If they are a reputable outfitter there is no need for them to put out feeders. Gotta think they will also most likely be in there with rifle in a few weeks. Lots of animals could fall onto the feeders recovering from the rut.

JoshTX

WKR
Burn them down. What they are doing is irresponsible and they should have to pay the piper.

littlebuf

Banned
Are feeders illegal in Colorado? In Washington feeding deer and Elk is perfectly legal. I don't hunt that way but is it any different than a food plot ( pretty commen mid west and east) I don't hunt those either but see nothing wrong with it if the laws not been broken

Shrek

WKR
William Munny , have you made that call ?! If you need more motivation than them stealing opportunities from you personally I made a call once about some real bs and about 4 months later I got a call that they need me to come down to their office and sign a few papers. I thought I was going to have to be involved and testify which I really didn't want to do. When I got there they neeeded me to sign for the $1500 reward they had.
If those guys are so brazen that they would set up feeders on public land you can bet your last dollar thats not the only criminal activities they are involved with.

Last edited:

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
You could buy Claudia Feathers Munny some nice things from town with that reward.

OP
W
Okay, the council has spoken, I will call it in. Thank you for all the feedback.

As nice as a cash award would be, I don't think I could accept it due to my occupation. I wanted to do something about it anyway, just didn't want to rock the boat until I was sure the boat needed rocking.