What would you give up to save OTC opportunities?

rideold

WKR
Good point about using points no matter what. I don't know that we can save OTC by doing that but it sure would make it a lot more realistic to apply for tags every year.

How about OTC only being for certain classes of animals? Run parallel seasons. One that is draw for the "desirable" animals and one OTC for the wildlife management animals.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Several years ago the CPW tried to go ‘primitive’ with muzzleloaders.
No inlines allowed.

It didn’t last long. I seriously doubt they would try that again
I always said they should do a couple units. Pick 1-2 per region and make them primitive for 5 years as a test.

tdhanses

WKR
I always said they should do a couple units. Pick 1-2 per region and make them primitive for 5 years as a test.
Wonder though if that would really give decent results, it may improve hunting because people avoid it, reducing pressure vs if it was your only choice, success would drop but would hunter numbers.

I mean I don’t want it but if it was the only choice I’d adapt.

BuzzH

WKR
Season length...the dedicated will scout a week and hunt 3 days, or, most likely less.

Who gets to hunt shouldn't be determined by luck in a draw, point schemes, or when you started applying.

Season timing, take away archery hunting for elk in the rut. Don't hunt mule deer other than early October, etc.

Fordguy

WKR
Several years ago the CPW tried to go ‘primitive’ with muzzleloaders.
No inlines allowed.

It didn’t last long. I seriously doubt they would try that again
I knew that they tried it, and it didn't surprise me that it was unpopular either. Plenty of hunters out there that don't (or didn't) want to give up the advantage that inline muzzleloaders offer in terms of reliability, accuracy, and distance. I can't blame anyone for that. Some people like to get in close and personal, other would prefer to be able to shoot from a distance if they have the chance.

wweaver

FNG
Easy. Otc tags for non residents every other year. Iam a non resident to every state with good elk hunting as a lot are. Went this year go to another state explore something new the next. We have been spoiled with otc every year, things change. The good old days are just that. Idaho for example picked up 62000 residents from July 2020 to July 2021. If 10 percent of those hunt ( no idea ) that will add up fast. This requires planning and not last minute going to Walmart, so people will hate that.

Rob5589

WKR
Points or hunt, not both.
No month long seasons. 7-14 day splits for tags.
A draw system with some kind of priority based on say, a 3 year time frame. Everyone is square on year one, draw a tag and now you're at the bottom. Draw one the next year, same thing. It would give everyone an opportunity every 3 years. Can't say it's a viable option, however. Just spit balling.
Possibly get the states to work together to limit bull tags; one bull tag per year per hunter, period. Cow tags available in multiple states as set forth by F&G depts.

wweaver

FNG
Points or hunt, not both.
No month long seasons. 7-14 day splits for tags.
A draw system with some kind of priority based on say, a 3 year time frame. Everyone is square on year one, draw a tag and now you're at the bottom. Draw one the next year, same thing. It would give everyone an opportunity every 3 years. Can't say it's a viable option, however. Just spit balling.
Possibly get the states to work together to limit bull tags; one bull tag per year per hunter, period. Cow tags available in multiple states as set forth by F&G depts.
I like that. NO one needs 2 bull elk in a year, I don’t care if you have four kids.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'd give up vegetables to keep OTC. Oh wait, I gave up on those long ago.

I'd be willing to pay $10k each year to have an elk unit to myself. But they'd lose money on that so that will never happen. Beyond that.......it is what it is.......OTC is going away. Better have your draws lined up for multiple states to be able to still hunt as much as possible........even if that isn't every year. I'll still be in elk country every September whether I have a tag or not. I haven't had an elk tag the past two seasons, but I've still been out there. I know enough guys that I'm sure someone will have a good tag that I can hunt with. And if not, then just camping and playing with the bulls during the rut is enough for me.

sndmn11

WKR
Pretty simple, it almost hurts my brain. How about this…

If you get a Colorado tag, you MUST use your points. The whole points plus a tag is part of the issue. A big part. You’d see some crazy point creep short term but you’d also see a lot of guys skipping a season or 2 to build points.

I agree mostly, and maybe fully. I wonder if that idea took hold how many unused lower grade licenses would there be? Is anyone going to grab that fourth season unit 11 cow tag that always has hundreds unusued if it takes their points away?

This year I have two deer tags still valid, plus one that is past, two elk tags, two bear tags, and a pronghorn tag. I used points on the pronghorn, take that away and I had/have 7 tags and no points used, I could have gotten more deer tags as well. I would surely give up the deer and elk tags, all with single digit likely success percentage, for one quality deer OR elk tag per year.

So, I think points on the draw, B list only subtracts the points it takes to win, and all leftovers go to a draw where one can ONLY apply for what they initially applied for. Whatever your four choices are in April is what you are eligible for that year. You can have one A list total, so deer OR elk, or two B list total. So if you want to slay two B cows you are done for deer and elk.

Pronghorn stays the same.

Bear needs to be removed from the Big game list so it is a free for all from September on. Like coyotes but a shorter season. Shoot a bear and you get a preference point for deer or elk.

Oh yeah, bring back mountain lion if you have a tag for deer/elk you can stick a mountain lion and you get a gold star.

OTC is on the way out.
This week in Colorado, 2 more OTC units went to draw.
That will only put more pressure on the remaining OTC units.

Domino Effect at its finest
What units did they decide on for that?

tdhanses

WKR
Another thing is, don’t do the leftover draw, what goes the first round is who will be hunting. Pretty much if you don’t draw intially you get a point and come back for a chance the next year, if a unit doesn’t full draw out let it be something for those to research for better odd units to hunt each year.

OP
Nsmith163

Nsmith163

FNG
I agree with lots of the posts on hear. This wasn't meant to be Colorado-specific. I've never hunted Colorado nor do I have plans to in the near future. I agree that managing other issues (predators for sure, points+tag systems maybe as well) is the better solution. But, for those states (like along the west coast) where, politically, the option to effectively manage predators has been removed, can trad-only regulations allow OTC opportunities to remain?

In other words, if OTC units were made trad only for archery, and open breach/open sight muzzleloader only for muzzleloader AND rifle season, would you still pick up an OTC tag or would you instead wait to draw a tag where you could use a modern bow or rifle? Also, how do you think this would impact herd health/age class/bull-to-cow rations in OTC units?

Definitely would still have problems with point creep, people hunting multiple states, points+tag, etc. But, all things remaining the same, could changing OTC units to trad only for all weapon seasons allow OTC hunting to continue for longer than it will under the current trend?

Felix40

WKR
I have been pushing primitive weapons as an idea to the g&f guys here. Our deer herd is hurting and they are having the debate of cutting tags vs the revenue loss. Everybody would win if they made it single string bows, side lock muzzleloaders, and open sight rifles while keeping tag numbers the same. The state keeps its revenue, people keep their opportunity, and the deer herd gets to recover.

I doubt you could save OTC but I wish some state would at least give this a try in a couple units.

BuzzH

WKR
Before I gave up general OTC in the State I live in as a Resident, I would fight to reduce NR opportunity in general areas up to, and including a reduction to ZERO NR tags being issued.