What’s going on with the Factory Hornady 7 PRC ammo?????

Jlowry809

FNG
This week they started responding on YouTube saying the powder they used during load development isnt available at the moment and that is why Velocities aren’t reaching advertised speeds and to plan on 50-175 slower.

ElkPRC

Lil-Rokslider
This week they started responding on YouTube saying the powder they used during load development isnt available at the moment and that is why Velocities aren’t reaching advertised speeds and to plan on 50-175 slower.
Anyone know what party they used during load development and what powder they are using now?

I'm pretty disappointed with Hornady here. They knew they were lying and are trying to act like everything was still cool. Did they honestly think people wouldn't notice???

They should roll out a full blown buyback.

I blew close to $500 on semi worthless ammo.

ElkPRC

Lil-Rokslider
I'm pretty disappointed with Hornady here. They knew they were lying and are trying to act like everything was still cool. Did they honestly think people wouldn't notice???

They should roll out a full blown buyback.

I blew close to $500 on semi worthless ammo.
Hornady has been screwing up a lot lately. Saw Seth straight up lie about themselves vs Applied Ballistics on a podcast. Ammo has been horrible lately. 100 FPS ES on every box I’ve shot lately. Really hoping I can find some 7PRC brass soon and do my own hand loads.

Hoping to be 2925 out of a 22” barrel with H1000.

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty sure original load was rl-26, they are now using a superformance or staball hd sort of powder. It’s a ball powder.

ElkPRC

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty sure original load was rl-26, they are now using a superformance or staball hd sort of powder. It’s a ball powder.
Nice that has me curious as I was considering Staball HD as a powder as well. I might pop open a round tomorrow morning and weight it out of curiosity

cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Seems a bit like it’s just a less efficient 280ai
My thoughts exactly.
This past week I was at our rifle range and a guy I know was breaking in a new 7PRC with factory ammo. He was shooting factory ammo with the exact same bullet I was using in my 280AI with reloads. 35 fps difference in the 2 rifles per a Garmin Chrony.

ElkPRC

Lil-Rokslider
Nice that has me curious as I was considering Staball HD as a powder as well. I might pop open a round tomorrow morning and weight it out of curiosity
So, I pulled apart a round and I am fairly certain it is Staball HD as well. Weight 70.3gr on 180 ELDM load, getting only 2750fps out of my 22" Bartlein barrel.

Was expecting close to 150 fps more than that.

My thoughts exactly.
This past week I was at our rifle range and a guy I know was breaking in a new 7PRC with factory ammo. He was shooting factory ammo with the exact same bullet I was using in my 280AI with reloads. 35 fps difference in the 2 rifles per a Garmin Chrony.
Which factory ammo was he using? Federal is significantly better than Hornady currently.

So, I pulled apart a round and I am fairly certain it is Staball HD as well. Weight 70.3gr on 180 ELDM load, getting only 2750fps out of my 22" Bartlein barrel.

Was expecting close to 150 fps more than that.A
A guy on another thread is getting 2850 out of his 18” PRC using the Federal ELDX factory ammo. Give it a shot.

Harvey_NW

WKR
My thoughts exactly.
That's an apples to oranges comparison, and if your 280AI is running with a factory loaded PRC you're likely over advised max pressure.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
There are several loads that the 280ai is within 80 to 50 fps. Especially since most people seem to be 150 to 200 below factory advertised speed.

There are several loads that the 280ai is within 80 to 50 fps. Especially since most people seem to be 150 to 200 below factory advertised speed.
Agree, look at data for the 7 PRC and 280 AI, what can reloaders get? Use that as a guide to how they should compare in general.

Comparing reloads to a specifically underperforming factory ammo isn’t apples to apples. Go do some reloads for a 7PRC and compare them.

Hornady can't get the powder they need to load at the advertised level. And other ammo manufacturers are getting the velocity for a cartridge they didn't create. Must have a line on powder Hornady doesn't have, interesting.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
I am in way saying the 7PRC isn't a good cartridge, but it is pretty obvious that Hornady was blowing a little smoke....likely from burning the grass that grows in between the Nebraska corn stalks.

And while I do not have one, and ammo availability is not great....the 6.8 Western seems to be the superior "new" cartridge.

Ucsdryder

WKR

Was expecting close to 150 fps more than that.
Dang. You’d hate to hear what my 20” 7saum is doing with 180s and 61 grains of powder.

I am in way saying the 7PRC isn't a good cartridge, but it is pretty obvious that Hornady was blowing a little smoke....likely from burning the grass that grows in between the Nebraska corn stalks.

And while I do not have one, and ammo availability is not great....the 6.8 Western seems to be the superior "new" cartridge.
I purchased a few bottles of Federal and picked up the Garmin Chrono last week. Will report back to this thread with numbers. Also have had no issues sourcing ammo. Seems to be readily available where I’m at in Denver.